Coming to Bams garden in 2009

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i just received some seeds from around the world... all hot peppers of one sort or the other..

the list:

Red Savina

habanero-red-savina.jpg

Gold Bullet Habanero & White Bullets

2532632415_ea4efdac51.jpg

Devils Tongue

devils-tongue.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate (and Chocolate Habaneros)

41qEsdxtErL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Yatsufusa Pepper

yatsu.jpg

and finally

trinidad scorpion

scorpion_3.jpg

PanchoHambre

Cool. I tried too much last year... no starting from seed for me this time. I'll pick a few interesting plants from the local urban farm/nursery and leave it at that

jkath

Hey, Bam -
I've got a question for you - I grew about 6 varieties of chilis this past year (all in pots) and one of the harvests of beautiful deep red "super chilis", I strung up and dried. Any good suggestions as to what to do with them? (I'm more of a jalapeno person myself)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Hey, Bam -
I've got a question for you - I grew about 6 varieties of chilis this past year (all in pots) and one of the harvests of beautiful deep red "super chilis", I strung up and dried. Any good suggestions as to what to do with them? (I'm more of a jalapeno person myself)

lots of options...

you can rehydrate them in some hot water and use in various dishes

you can grind them up into a powder and make your own pepper powder instead of buying cayenne powder

i use dried chili's in alot of dishes like general tso chicken or i also cook with dry chili's in my chilli

jkath

Thanks, Bam -
I originally dried them to grind, but hadn't done so yet. What type of grinder would you suggest? I don't have one specifically for spices, so maybe purchase another coffee grinder...or...?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yup go ahead an purchase one for spices...or a thrifty person runs a piece of bread through the grinder and this takes away any reminants of what you were previously grinding

you can also save some of the seeds and start over again

Thanks, Bam -
I originally dried them to grind, but hadn't done so yet. What type of grinder would you suggest? I don't have one specifically for spices, so maybe purchase another coffee grinder...or...?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Bams, I don't know if you are aware that one can prepare one's soil to ensure that the peppers are hot. One can plant hot peppers and they won't be hot unless your soil meets certain requirements as was explained to me by a chilihead by the name of Brian. I am sure if you google, you will find out what he meant.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yah i am on a hot pepper forum .... i get all my guidance when it comes to hot chilies from there

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Cool! Then, you know what I mean. I bought some super hot peppers for a neighbor who is a chili head as a present and had downloaded the information a couple of summers ago. It really does make a difference. Without the proper soil nutrients, the peppers will not be hot.

babe

so far i have lettuce, two kinds squash, and eggplant all coming up in my pots. one tomato has blooms already. forcast was for high wind and rain, so went out and covered everything. seeds not yet coming up the plants that have. was afraid would wash away if it rained that hard. the wind blew but the rain was really no big deal. still glad i did it.

Mr. Green Jeans

BAm, with your short growing season, if those seeds are not sown yet GET ER DONE! Peppers are a tad slow to germinate. You really can't have too big a plant to transplant to the garden. Here in the Northwest we are up against degree days <cool summer nights is the problem> March 1 - 15 is prime pepper seed sowing time.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Where did you get those Jeff, I've not bought for this year but will this week.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Where did you get those Jeff, I've not bought for this year but will this week.

i got my as a gift from Dickybird and from some others. the red savinas i got online from ebay.

let me look, i have friends that use a webite for chiles and they are suppose to be great to deal with.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
these guys are used by alot of guys i know who grow chiles...they dont have a huge variety but they only charge $1.50 for shipping no matter how many packets you purchase. they usually throw in extras as well

http://peppermania.com/index.html the lady to deal with here is named Beth

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only ones you listed I have found are the gold habaneros. I'm am looking for other peppers other than bell, for some reason they are cursed when I try to grow them.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
the bullet varieties seem to be really hard to grow. this is my first go around with them.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
got some sprouters today..

not much progress got a little later start on these than i wanted to.

259a4k7.jpg

2vmf03s.jpg

Derek

Banned
Very cool, Jeff I would like to try a chocolate hab once they're in bloom

By the way My plants are still growing strong and I haven't seen any flowers yet. But I got 2 more months.