4 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Topping:

3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans

Method

Make the dough. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine warm water, yeast and 1 tsp. sugar. Stir to dissolve and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add milk, butter, remaining sugar, egg yolks, orange zest, salt and 3 cups flour. Mix on low speed until blended. Switch to a dough hook and then, again on low speed, slowly incorporate the remaining 1 cup of flour. Increase speed to medium, kneading dough until smooth and slightly sticky (adding a little more flour if too wet), 3 to 5 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large, buttered bowl. Turn dough over in bowl to coat with the butter from the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour (or 2 hours if not in an entirely warm place). After the dough has risen, punch down. Turn out onto a lightly floured cutting board and let sit 20 minutes.

Make the filling. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Melt butter; keep separate.

Roll dough out into a 12" x 18" rectangle. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Starting with the long side, roll dough into a cylinder. Place seam side down on a flat surface and cut crosswise into 15 slices.

Make the topping. In a 1-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, honey and corn syrup over low heat; stir until sugar and butter are melted. Pour mixture into a greased 9" x 13" pan and sprinkle pecans on top.

Place dough slices, flat side down, on top of prepared topping. Crowd them so they touch. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving room for the buns to rise, and refrigerate overnight.

Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature while the oven pre-heats. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake buns until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove pan from oven and immediately (and carefully as not to spill hot topping on your toes!) invert onto a serving tray or baking dish. Let buns cool slightly and serve warm.

Attachments

• StickyBuns.jpg
    StickyBuns.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 271

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Times like these I wish I wasn't told that I have a pecan sensitivity. Not only does the pic look yummy, the recipe reads well, too!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I made these as an additional treat (like they needed any more sugar) for my bread baking class. They were a big hit, and it showed that the same dough and rolling techniques could be combined with a simply made syrup and some nuts, to develop another interesting yeast bread treat.

suziquzie

nice Joe!

pretty much same as mine but this crowd demands I be a little more liberal with the "sticky"
:p

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Is this the recipe that you gave me a sample of Joe the night Buzz was here for dinner? I thought that I remembered that you used walnuts but don't recall any orange zest. I am also surprised that honey was involved--I could have sworn in was dark corn syrup or brown sugar and light corn syrup.

Guts

JoeV
I would like to ask you what you think about using KASL flour in place of AP ? would it be to tough? I have a lot of KASL flour that's why I ask. I want to try this and have put corn syrup and pecans on my grocery list. When the dough is rolled and ready to cut, how do you cut it with a knife or dental floss?
I think I want to try this recipe, looks good over the on I have.

Thanks in advance; JoeV
Kim

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
JoeV
I would like to ask you what you think about using KASL flour in place of AP ? would it be to tough? I have a lot of KASL flour that's why I ask. I want to try this and have put corn syrup and pecans on my grocery list. When the dough is rolled and ready to cut, how do you cut it with a knife or dental floss?
I think I want to try this recipe, looks good over the on I have.

Thanks in advance; JoeV
Kim

I am not familiar with KASL flour, so I cannot render an opinion on its usefulness in this recipe. I use AP flour because I do not want as much gluten development as I have in bread dough. This is more like a pastry dough, so I want it to come apart more easily. You can also use walnuts in lieu of pecans, and I believe they are less expensive.

When I cut the rolled dough, I use a serrated knife. I stretch out a tape measure on the counter top, mark 1-1/2" increments, then cut them and place them in the baking dish to rise. You can use dental floss, but I find it more cumbersome because you have to reposition it after each cut.

EDIT:
I just went and looked up KASL flour, and I do not recommend that flour for this recipe. King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour is 14.2% protien, and is meant for chewy crusts like would be found in pizza and bagles. It's a good flour, just the wrong application here.

Last edited:

Guts

Thank you JoeV I bought the pecans yesterday going to get the corn syrup today. That's what I was thinking that the gluten might be to high, I will pick up some AP when I get the corn syrup today.
Hopefully I will be able to post my results this weekend.
Kim

Guts

JoeV
I made your Cinnamon Sticky Buns Holly Cow are these good!!! pictures included.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• Sticky Buns 1.jpg
    Sticky Buns 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Sticky Buns 2.jpg
    Sticky Buns 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Sticky Buns 3.jpg
    Sticky Buns 3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Sticky Buns 4.jpg
    Sticky Buns 4.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Sticky Buns 5.jpg
    Sticky Buns 5.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 181

Guts

JoeV
I made these again but I changed a few things.I always like to make a new recipe just as it is. Before I start making Any changes. and Your recipe is a KEEPER! This is what I changed. I wanted more orange flavor in the dough.
Added 1 TBS of orange extract
Used three hole eggs (not just yolks)
And I did not proof the IDY
I had dry ingredients and wet ingredients two bowls

Dry ingredients; [FONT=&quot]Flour-salt-sugar-IDY
[/FONT]Wet ingredients; [FONT=&quot]water-milk-butter-1 TBS orange extract-orange zest-and three hole eggs
They had a good rise and very good oven spring.
I also converted the recipe to grams as close as I could.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Dough:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 TBS orange extract[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 13 grams
1/4 cup water 60 grams
1 (1/4-ounce) package IDY (dry yeast) 7 grams
1/3 cup sugar 65 grams
3/4 cup milk 180 grams
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing 56.5 grams
3 large eggs
1 Tbsp. finely grated orange zest 18-20 grams one hole medium size orange
1 1/4 teaspoon. salt 9.5 grams
4 to 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting 680 grams[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Filling:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 180 grams
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon 10 grams
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter 56.5 grams[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Topping:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 270 grams
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter 56.5 grams
3 Tbsp. honey 75 grams
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup 23 grams
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans 170 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]± grams[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Reviving your old thread Joe :)

I'm working on my own recipe, but I just can't get the "sticky" right. I tried your recipe today (for the topping) but it's still not what I want. First, I want to make individual buns. Seems like the individual nature gives better heat circulation and the "sticky" cooks more, bringing it close to a candy consistency rather than a gooey/sticky topping that I'm looking for. Yours is the closest I've come to yet, but I stumbled on another local recipe that uses just brown sugar and heavy cream. I think that will turn out more like a caramel, but might be a new approach. Might try thinning your recipe next week with some heavy cream. That may delay it's setting.

Anyway, here's today's efforts:

Attachments

• P1050727.JPG
    P1050727.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 171
  • P1050728.JPG
    P1050728.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 175

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awwww, geez, those look GREAT, Un!

I want some now!

Lee

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lee, but it's strange how it took on a caramel look. No cream in this attempt. BTW, they don't look it from the pictures, but these are about 3.5" in diameter. Didn't try them yet. Saving them for Dexter ;)

Guts

Joe are you referring to what I posted? Yours look like a maple frosting that would be on a donut, but that could be the color difference in your camera and mine. I have made this recipe 4-5 times since this post and it comes out the same way every time. One thing I would change if I could, I used salted butter in the recipe and NOT the unsalted type... You got me hungry for these again, going to have to pick up some more Pecans.

Kim

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
I remember these well.
Joe sent me some after I'd been in the hospital last March.
They are excellent. I ate a couple, then shared some with the neighbours, who went wild over them.
I keep trying to think of excuses to have Joe send me more, but he keeps saying no.. I have to be in need of comfort or sick or sumthin' before he'll do it again.
Dough Boy brat!:twak::lol:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
I remember these well.
Joe sent me some after I'd been in the hospital last March.
They are excellent. I ate a couple, then shared some with the neighbours, who went wild over them.
I keep trying to think of excuses to have Joe send me more, but he keeps saying no.. I have to be in need of comfort or sick or sumthin' before he'll do it again.
Dough Boy brat!:twak::lol:
Whiner!:yum: You know the rules...extreme illness or hospital confinement "-ectomy" qualifies for sticky buns. Sheeesh, some kids never get it.

Since you are being a PIA, I made these Tuesday...

P1020877.jpg

Used a new recipe I found here.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I can almost taste them, Joe...they are beautiful!

Got the recipe here.

Ingredients

* 3 eggs
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 cup light rum
* 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
* Vegetable oil
* Confectioners sugar

Preparation

Beat eggs and sugar in medium bowl until light and foamy. Stir in milk,rum,butter,zest and salt.Place 3 1/2 cups flour in large bowl; make well in center. Pour egg mixture into well. Stir with fork until mixture cleans sides of bowl; gather into a ball. If dough is sticky, gradually work in as much of the remaining flour as needed. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and pliable, 8 to 10 minutes.
Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time, roll out on lightly floured surface into thin sheet about 1/16 inch thick. Cut with fluted pastry wheel into 6×1 inch strips. Slit centers.
Heat oil in large saucepan to depth of 3 inches. Fry crostoli, a few at a time, turning once, until golden, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper toweling; cool. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Makes about 8 dozen. Store in tightly covered container. (A hand cranked pasta machine can be used to roll out dough).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Whiner!:yum: You know the rules...extreme illness or hospital confinement "-ectomy" qualifies for sticky buns. Sheeesh, some kids never get it.

Since you are being a PIA, I made these Tuesday...

P1020877.jpg

Used a new recipe I found here.

Well la dee dahhh!!
I'll have you to know, I just pretended to eat that whole platter, so there! hrmmpph! :yum:

Looks fab! hehe