Chile Rellenos Casserole (meatless)

Guts

Here is I grew up on, mothers recipe. I have never make this , but have the chilies and peppers. i will be making soon.
Kim

[FONT=&quot]Chile Rellenos Casserole (meatless)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]4 7-oz cans whole mild green chilies (or 1 2-1/2 lb can) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 lb. Jack Cheese [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]5 eggs [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 1/4 cups milk [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup flour [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 t. salt [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]dash of pepper [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]4 cups (1 lb.) grated cheddar cheese [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
  • [FONT=&quot]Split chilies lengthwise. Remove seeds & membranes. Rinse under cold water & drain open on paper towels [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Slice cheese in 1/2"x1/2" long slices [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Place inside of chilies, folding chilies around cheese [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Place stuffed chilies in ungreased 3 qt. baking dish [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Beat eggs with milk, flour, salt & pepper well [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Pour over chilies [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sprinkle top with grated cheddar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Bake uncovered at 350°, 45 minutes [/FONT]
[/FONT]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I LOVE chile rellenos, but they are a PIA to make!

This looks delicious!

And "South Beach-friendly", right LuckyTrim?

Lee

K

Kimchee

Hey, I've got a picture of that, I think....
Not the best picture in the world, sad to say.

If I remember correctly its kinda like a quiche or a frittata maybe.
PRetty sure I used meat and cheese stuffing though. And
roasted poblano peppers, but otherwise, same recipe.

Wasn't bad at all.
ChiliRellenoCasserole2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
This is very similar to the casserole I made last week, but it did include ground beef. It was scrumptious, but the pictures I took turned out badly because I mistakenly used the convection feature of the oven, and the top got too brown. As Kimchee suggests, it uses roasted poblanos. I can vouch for the goodness, and I'll post the recipe separately.

Leni

I recently made a version that had a pound each of cheddar and jack. Way too much cheese! I'm using the rest of it for grilled cheese sandwiches.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

Hey, Guts, how many people would you say this would serve?

I'd have to cut it way back for just me, even though I don't mind leftovers for several nights.

Lee

Guts

Bump.

Hey, Guts, how many people would you say this would serve?

I'd have to cut it way back for just me, even though I don't mind leftovers for several nights.

Lee

sorry it took me so long to reply back Lee I've been a little under the weather. I would say you have 4 to 6 servings at least, it makes quite a few. Because of their size, the cheese is cut the same size as you would in a normal chili relleno. I use canned chilies to make this and alsouse these chilies to make chili rellenos the normal fried way. I have some pepper Jack cheese the going to try. The can says there's about 18 chilies per can and I usually use one can when I'm making chili rellenos. I am also thinking about putting the wet ingredients in a blender to incorporate a little air in the egg and flour mixture next time.

Attachments

• chilies 001.jpg
    chilies 001.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 295

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply, Guts.

Using the canned chilis sure would make things faster and easier!

Lee

Norm

If I had seen this earlier, I would have tried the recipe. We wanted to see if a baked chili rellenos would taste alright since we have always deep fried them. I took some fresh poblanos and charred them on the grill them peeled and chopped them and put them in a baking dish with some onion, egg and queso quesadilla cheese and baked it until the cheese melted. We liked it.. it was gone with no left overs the next day.

Phiddlechik

If you want to incorporate air into the eggs, just separate, and beat the whites, then fold into the mixture. (almost souffle-like).

K

Kimchee

This is the recipe I used...
RELLENO CASSEROLE
This recipe includes a homemade tomato sauce. You can omit it and use canned Rotel instead of the Roma tomatoes and jalapeno.
If you don't want to use chorizo sausage, try hamburger with taco seasoning.

My version (you can omit the roasting of all but the poblanos)
6 fresh poblano chilies, roasted with skins removed. (Don't know of any alternatives,sorry)
6 Roma tomatoes, roasted, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno, roasted chopped, ribs and seeds removed.
1/2 white onion, roasted, chopped
1 lb chorizo sausage (if using links, remove skins)
4-6 oz Cotija mexican cheese (similar to parmesian)
1 tsp oregano
1 cup Montery Jack cheese, shredded
6 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/6th cup flour
1.5 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup or so chicken stock

Roast the poblanos till the skin is blackened. Steam in a bag for 15 minutes, then scrape skins off. Cut off stem end, remove seeds.
Chop the tomatos, jalapeno, onion and garlic, saute in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add chicken stock, pinch of salt and let simmer for 20 minutes. Use immersion blender or mash into a sauce consistency.
Meanwhile, brown the chorizo sausage and drain. Mix in the Cotija cheese and oregano. Use to stuff the poblanos.
Put tomato sauce in bottom of an 8x8 oven dish, then put stuffed chilis on top. Sprinkle 1/2 the Jack cheese on top.
Whisk the eggs, baking powder and flour together, then pour over the chilies. Top with the rest of the Jack cheese.
Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes then enjoy!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Guts, or anyone ...

I am going to look for those large cans of whole chiles.

Are they hot like jalapenos or warm like poblanos?

Lee

Guts

Lee they are real mild chili not hot at all in spice as I recall and it's been a long time since I have opened a can. They are fire roasted and peeled I think you can see that on the picture of the cans. My local Costco carries them also restaurant supply has them in large quantities like number 10 cans. There are a number of places to get it online and I ordered something from "Jet" which is somehow affiliated with Amazon when ordering food they usually deliver within 2 days. Sometimes it's a little hard navigating their site but I think this is going to be the way of the future as far as getting groceries everything's in a be done online and that's just my opinion.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Lee they are real mild chili not hot at all in spice as I recall and it's been a long time since I have opened a can. They are fire roasted and peeled I think you can see that on the picture of the cans. My local Costco carries them also restaurant supply has them in large quantities like number 10 cans. There are a number of places to get it online and I ordered something from "Jet" which is somehow affiliated with Amazon when ordering food they usually deliver within 2 days. Sometimes it's a little hard navigating their site but I think this is going to be the way of the future as far as getting groceries everything's in a be done online and that's just my opinion.

I just discovered "Jet" and love it. Some of their prices are really good, some not so much. I didn't know they are affiliated with Amazon. I'll still be shopping at the grocery store but plan on using Jet for things that I can't find locally.