3579670449_40e471baef.jpg

About 5 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
About 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
About 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 or 2 T butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
1 Roma tomatoe, seeded and chopped
8 oz linguini (cooked according to package directions)

Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. When the bacon is partially cooked, add the onion. Cook until the bacon is done and the onion has lightly carmelized. Remove the bacon/onion mixture from the skillet and set to the side.

Pour off most of the bacon fat. Add the chopped asparagus and lightly stir fry. Remove the asparagus from the skillet.

Reduce the heat to low, and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the cream and stir continuously. When the cream begins to warm, add the shredded parmesan. Continue to stir and cook over low to med/low until the cream mixture thickens slightly.

Place the bacon/onion/asparagus mixture over the cooked linguine and pour the sauce evenly over the top. Garnish with the chopped roma tomatoe and some extra parmesan cheese.

This makes about 3 large or 4 normal servings. It is a very rich dish.

Last edited:

homecook

That looks awesome!

I've got all the ingredients but I don't know if another rich meal is going to help DH on eating healthy. LOL

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man! What's not to like about THAT???

Great job, Cooksie!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Did a little variation on this last night. Used pancetta molinari instead of the bacon.

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

Guts

You know some recipes you can look at and but the flavors together in your mind, and this looks like a winner! all the things I like too. great pics!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, did you miss the smokey flavor of the bacon when you used pancetta?

I always do. Ergo, I don't bother with pancetta any more.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, I have had the recipe saved and keep saying I am going to make it, but I haven't yet.
Will do soon. This is too gorgeous NOT to make... AND it's easy,which is what I like!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:flowers: Thanks All!

Cooksie, did you miss the smokey flavor of the bacon when you used pancetta?

I always do. Ergo, I don't bother with pancetta any more.

Lee

I didn't really miss the smokey flavor in this when I subbed the pancetta for the bacon, maybe because there's so much else going on in the dish. I do love my bacon though and would miss that flavor in a BLT for sure.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
pancetta is the equivalent of "raw fish" in pork form.

anticipating that 'bacon' is pancetta or 'any other thin sliced cured product' is an exercise in mis-guided futility.

same for prosciutto - it is thinly sliced cured pork - but regrets to say, Oscar Meyer ain't come close to what real prosciutto is.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Another variation, this time with ham:

Creamy%20Ham%20Asparagus%20Pasta.jpg

YUM! A nice smoked ham steak? I may try this with a smoked pork chop. I found some nice old time thick, bone in fresh smoked pork chops (not those anorexic vac sealed boneless things that pass for smoked chops) at Fairway Market. They are so good just like mom would get from the pork store when I was a kid. I usually cast iron pan fry then serve with a helping of mashed taters (puddle of butter in the middle LOL) and turnip, mustard or collard greens fried in the pan dripping. :biggrin:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks you two!

Peeps, I'm cheap, so I use the pkg of pieces of spiral cut ham slices. A nice smoked ham steak cooked in cast iron with a little sear would probably be great.

Dang, forgot the tomato :blush:.