Amazing sight in the South Pacific

buckytom

Grill Master
i just got this from my friend wayne ("attie" from the old forum). pretty amazing stuff.

The yacht 'Maiken' was traveling in the south Pacific when the crew came across a weird sight-
It was sand in the water, and the sand was floating ON TOP of the waves...
Look at these photos and try to imagine the feeling, the thrill of experiencing this phenomenon close-up.

image00111.jpg
image00222.jpg
image00333.jpg
This is not a beach, it is volcanic stones floating on the water.

image00444.jpg
image00555.jpg
image00666.jpg
image00777.jpg
The trail left by the yacht... through the sand
And then this was spotted... ash and steam rising from the ocean...

image00888.jpg
And, while they were watching...

image00999.jpg
A plume of black ash...

image0111111.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
image0121212.jpg

image0131313.jpg

image0141414.jpg
A brand new island formed...

image0151515.jpg

image0161616.jpg

Awesome!
Can you imagine the thrill of being the first & only people to see a new island being created ... where there was nothing before?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've never seen anything like this, BT. It's amazing! (Do you think that island is for sale now?)

buckytom

Grill Master
there's probably a dozen or more englishmen bearing flags on their way to claim it right now. lol, even before it cools...

ooch, ouch, i proclaim this land for, ow ow ow, mother england.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Quick! Grab some beach property.

I thought "they" said they weren't making any more of it. ???????

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is amazing for sure but if any of you have a pumas stone at home drop it in a bowl of water and it floats. Pumas comes from volcanoes by the way.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow,fantastic pictures! I Googled, and there's lots of good footage of this event!

BT, attie is cool! He doesn't want to post here?

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
qsis, i've asked him and given him the url several times. he's never responded as to why he doesn't, but i still very much appreciate the neat stuff he sends me. maybe i'll send this thread/conversation to him.

buckytom

Grill Master
That is amazing for sure but if any of you have a pumas stone at home drop it in a bowl of water and it floats. Pumas comes from volcanoes by the way.

lol, josie. i spell volcanic rock as pumice, but pumas is also correct.

either that or you like to screw with large predatory cats...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
lol, josie. i spell volcanic rock as pumice, but pumas is also correct.

either that or you like to screw with large predatory cats...

I spell it pumice also but my spell checker changed it and I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Pumice in now added to the spell checker. :oops:

YeOldeStonecat

Wow...amazing pics. Imagine the captain of that boat....rushing his hands up to the throttle for full reverse thinking he was going to run aground.

Passing through that flotsam of pumice, curious how the engines cooling system did (water intakes 'n such).

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Passing through that flotsam of pumice, curious how the engines cooling system did (water intakes 'n such).

I was curious about that too. I would imagine the engineuses fresh water cooling, but,there still has to be a heat exchanger someplace. If they were under sail then the engine might have been off.