1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon nutmeg
add:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips
1 cup chopped toasted pecans or macademia nuts

combine the two mixtures just enough to blend. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle tops generously with cinnamon sugar.
bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
Serve warm.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Man... I'm not a muffin person, but holy cow... these are something that has to be tried!!

buckytom

Grill Master
omg, i'm dying?

and i'm going to hell? on a holy cow? ( i knew those hindus were up to something)

what a tasty way to find out!

AllenOK

*Bump

There was someone on DC that was asking me about this. Hopefully that person has made the change.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Why does it need to sit? Doesn't the leavening become ineffective over time?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Why does it need to sit? Doesn't the leavening become ineffective over time?

I checked to make sure it wasn't another typo. That's what she said unless it got mangled when my sister transcribed everything. I've never prepared it but I remember Mom fixing it often. I just don't remember how long it sat.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I love fry bread... better with beans and ground meat, lettuce and maters, Navajo Taco!!! I saw that last night on DDD!

AllenOK

Letting it sit for even 15 minutes can relax the gluten. When I make sopapillas, the recipe calls for the dough to rest for 30 minutes.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Pepper Pike Bee Tea Bread

Pepper Pike Bee Tea Bread
Makes 3 small mini-loaves; dairy

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sweet butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup honey (use any mild honey)
1/3 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup soft dried apricots, finely chopped (if dry, soak first in orange juice and drain)
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (or use orange peel if you had to soak your apricots in orange juice)

Butter and flour the 3 mini-loaf pans and set aside. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Beat together the butter, sugar, honey, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until well-blended. Add the flour, baking powder, apricots, almonds and peel and stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Like all quick breads, don't overmix. Divide the batter among the 3 pans, place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool while you prepare the Sour Cream Glaze. When the loaves are cool, brush them with the following Sour Cream Glaze.

Sour Cream Glaze
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sifted confectioners'(10x) sugar

Directions:
Stir all the ingredients together until blended.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Sunshine's Zucchini Bread

For those who garden and plant zucchini, this is a great way to use up your harvest. Most people who don’t like zucchini bread tend to like this one.

Sunshine's Zucchini Bread

Yield: 2 9-inch loaf pans. If you use 8-inch pans for your loaves you will have to bake them about 15 minutes longer.

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt (I use scant 1/2 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
Grease two 9x5x3 loaf pans and set aside. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add with the rest of the ingredients to the flour. Mix well. Scrape the bowl often and keep mixing for several minutes. Pour into pans and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from pans. Then, cool right-side up on racks. This bread freezes well.

My note: Prior to putting them in the oven, I take a handful more of chocolate chips and sprinkle them on top for an extra special touch.

homecook

Beer and Brat Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 fully cooked bratwurst links, casings removed
4 cups biscuit/baking mix (like bisquick)
2 to 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
Directions:
Cut bratwurst into bite-size pieces. In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, caraway seeds and bratwurst; stir in beer just until moistened. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 biscuits. __________________

Barb

Calicolady

Wow. Sure do! I never buy beer, but I'll have to steal one (Maybe 2) from the dad for this. 1 for the pot, 1 for the cook!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I thought the same thing BS... sprinkle a bit of cheese on top or in them.... oh yea!

Ol-blue

APPLE STREUSEL BREAD

This bread has a wonderful crunchy topping. I hope you enjoy. Debbie

APPLE STREUSEL BREAD

AppleStreuselBread2668.jpg

BREAD
1 cup(s) APPLES; Peeled And Chopped.
1/2 cup(s) BUTTER; Softened.
1 cup(s) SUGAR
2 EGGS
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) VANILLA
2 cup(s) FLOUR
1 teaspoon(s) BAKING SODA
1/2 teaspoon(s) SALT
1/8 teaspoon(s) CINNAMON
1/3 cup(s) SOUR MILK
1/2 cup(s) WALNUTS; Chopped.
TOPPING
1/3 cup(s) FLOUR
1/2 teaspoon(s) CINNAMON
1/4 cup(s) BUTTER; Cold.
2 tablespoon(s) BROWN SUGAR; Light.
2 tablespoon(s) SUGAR
3 tablespoon(s) WALNUTS; Chopped.
_____

Grease bottom only of 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl; cream together the butter and sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a little at a time, alternating with the sour milk.
Fold in apples and walnuts.
Prepare streusel by adding all ingredients to a bowl except the walnuts.
With a pastry blender or forks mix butter into dry mixture until small crumbs appear.
Stir in walnuts and sprinkle topping over bread.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Yield: 1 loaf.
_____

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Bacon and Swiss Cheese Muffins

This muffin recipe is from my mom. Her recipe card is well-worn, browned with age and her handwriting is now blurry. I have no idea where she got the recipe from. They are nice with a soup, salad or stew. I have even had them for breakfast with eggs. Enjoy! Pie Susan

Bacon and Swiss Cheese Muffins

Ingredients:
1/4 cup or 1/2 stick sweet butter, softened
2 T sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup freshly grated Swiss cheese (amazing with a good gruyère)
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (grate your own, not the stuff in the green can)
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder (don't forget to check the expiration date)
6 strips bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled (make sure it the best you can buy--don't skimp here either)

Directions:
Beat together the butter, sugar, egg, buttermilk and cheeses until blended. Stir together the flour, baqking owder and bacon and then, add all at once. Beat until dry ingredients are just moistened--what AB calls the muffin method is used here. Do not overbeat.

Divide the batter between 12 paper-lined muffin tins and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in their center comes out clean.

Serve with lots of sweet whipped butter.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have to try this recipe...oh my..cheese..butter.....pork fat....what more could u ask for???.lol

thanks alot