Yoshi Blade ceramic knife

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just saw a commercial for this thing, and, of course, it looked wonderful.

https://www.yoshibladeknives.com/?m...53116781_88599eb4-3415-4aed-9aef-e2f00d7ae093

For $19.99, they will send you two ceramic chef's knives and two vegetable peelers, which all have a lifetime guarentee. No sharpening required. If a blade gets dull, they will replace it.

Now, I've never tried a ceramic knife.

Buzz, or anyone, is this deal worth $20 or no?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I just saw a commercial for this thing, and, of course, it looked wonderful.

https://www.yoshibladeknives.com/?m...53116781_88599eb4-3415-4aed-9aef-e2f00d7ae093

For $19.99, they will send you two ceramic chef's knives and two vegetable peelers, which all have a lifetime guarentee. No sharpening required. If a blade gets dull, they will replace it.

Now, I've never tried a ceramic knife.

Buzz, or anyone, is this deal worth $20 or no?

Lee

Go to Wal-Greens or the Dollar General and look for their "As Seen On TV" Aisle. I saw a pack the other day with 1 knife, one peeler, and some sort of cover for 9.99. I've been tempted to get one, but it takes special equipment to sharpen a cermic knife, and it can break if dropped. AND, this knife is small!

Can't be more than 9 inches in size with 4 of that being the handle. But, at 9.99, it's cute throw-away toy if nothing else.

FooD

I like how they label these products with Japanese names. Whatever works....it's only marketing. :D

I use a mandolin with a ceramic blade and it's very sharp. I cringe every time I use it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use a mandolin with a ceramic blade and it's very sharp.

Really, FooD? That's good, then.

Keltin, I forgot about the dropping/breaking thing. Probably not covered in the "lifetime guarentee". Heck, for $9.99, I'd try one.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ming Tsai seems to love ceramic knives. He's even using them on the current IC challenge show. He's never said why he likes them, but he uses them all the time. Hmmmm.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Here is my take and it comes with some knowledge. Ceramic knifes are sharp, but not that sharp. For reasons of physics they are not capable of producing the extremely acute edges as can be found in certain steels. both carbon and stainless. Ceramics hold their edges for a relatively long time but for practical purposes are unsharpenable with standard tools and need to be returned to the manufacturer to be resharpened to their initial state. In short, I'm not a fan of ceramics.

buckytom

Grill Master
just how is a ceramic blade sharpened? is it some kind of heat/pressure processing?

i know i can google it, but i thought i'd ask the experts here first.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I also have a mandolin with a ceramic blade - it's very sharp. Of course, it may not last a long time, but I didn't pay a fortune for it, either. Has worked for me for a couple of years just perfectly.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
. .....but for practical purposes are unsharpenable with standard tools and need to be returned to the manufacturer to be resharpened to their initial state.

And that's why I've never bought one.

But, Buzz, what do you think of the deal? It's a lifetime guarantee, and if it needs to be sharpened, they send me a brand new one.

I know there's a sucker born every minute, and I know it sounds too good to be true ..... nevermind, I just answered my own question. :mrgreen:

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
And that's why I've never bought one.

But, Buzz, what do you think of the deal? It's a lifetime guarantee, and if it needs to be sharpened, they send me a brand new one.

I know there's a sucker born every minute, and I know it sounds too good to be true ..... nevermind, I just answered my own question. :mrgreen:

Lee

Ceramics are fine except for the sharpening aspect and the fact that they are brittle and might break if dropped. I don't use or even like them because I'm a knife addict and my hobby is extreme sharpening, something ceramics are not capable of. Never end a sentence in a preposition. Never end a sentence in a preposition. Never end a sentence in a preposition. Never end a sentence in a preposition.

Miss Moe and Miss Nelson taught me that but I forget - ya know?

I'm going to sharpen my new chef's knife today. You won't believe the before and after pictures. Excellent knife steel can be made into a work of art. :)

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Here is my take and it comes with some knowledge. Ceramic knifes are sharp, but not that sharp. For reasons of physics they are not capable of producing the extremely acute edges as can be found in certain steels. both carbon and stainless. Ceramics hold their edges for a relatively long time but for practical purposes are unsharpenable with standard tools and need to be returned to the manufacturer to be resharpened to their initial state. In short, I'm not a fan of ceramics.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. For the average home user, a ceramic IS sharper and will hold it's edge for a REALLY long time over steel. The edge of a ceramic can be made/produced sharper because the ceramic IS harder than steel.The edge will never roll or. It has to be sent off for sharpening because it has to be sharpened with industrial diamond, one of only a few things harder than the blade itself.

As for brittleness issues, the recipes for ceramics have come a LONG way in the past decade. Cheaper products even hold up pretty well for a fall, though the tip may chip, but a good ceramic knife is really pretty darn sturdy.

That being said, steel is stronger, I don't use ceramics for boning or side crushing. Torquing motions can be their downfall...

Though I respect, and LOVE good honed steel, ceramics do have their place.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
We're talking two different animals when we say sharp. I'll be putting MY edge on my new chef's knife and will be making a comprehensive post including a bunch of pictures later today in a chef's knife thread I started a week or two ago. You'll believe me when you see what I do. Trust me. ;-)

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
We're talking two different animals when we say sharp. I'll be putting MY edge on my new chef's knife and will be making a comprehensive post including a bunch of pictures later today in a chef's knife thread I started a week or two ago. You'll believe me when you see what I do. Trust me. ;-)

oh, I am familiar wit your work, and it is very admirable. . .I just don't think my people dedicate that type of time and precision into honing their knives for daily use. I like your arsenal though, very nice tools you have.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
oh, I am familiar wit your work, and it is very admirable. . .I just don't think my people dedicate that type of time and precision into honing their knives for daily use. I like your arsenal though, very nice tools you have.

You are absolutely correct. My fanaticism borders on the insane. On knife sites like knifeforums or cooking sites like foodieforums containing very active kitchen cutlery sub forums there are lots of pros in attendance, both butchers and chefs. Butchers don't have time to fart around with stones like I do so they use steels because they're fast and effective. The edges are raggedy but they cut and that's what it's all about. Chefs seem to come in three categories, a limited group of extreme sharpeners who have knives like mine, a lot of people, men especially, who respect their equipment and keep the blades in good shape, and a rather large group who don't know the first thing about knives because they've never seen anything that they can't purchase at Walmart.

At the end of the story it's all about the meat that is cut and the foods that are delivered to the table, not how pretty the bevel is. :blush:

Buzz - long time member of Knifeaholics Anonymous

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ralph and Buzz, I'm sure I've never had a knife as sharp as Buzz's are. But since I only have my knives sharpened (by a knife-making place) once or twice a year, the ceramic deal has to be sharper than what I normally use.

Guess I should at least see if I can find the little one at Walgreen's to try one out, then.

Good discussion!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
$19.95 plus $9.95 S&H.

What a ripoff!!!!!

I saw this set in a store also. Forgot which one.

But yes, get it in one of the stores and save on shipping & handling price.

I was going to get one, but I felt that the knives are way too small. I like chefs' knives or a Chinese cleaver that is at least 8 inches long!

buckytom

Grill Master
i got one in my stocking for christmas. it is sharp, but kinda small and on the flimsy side.

it specifically states that it's not for chopping, just slicing, so i'll use it for that. i guess carving roast cornish game hens and the like, lol.

i havent had the chance to use the peeler yet.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the report, BT!

I never did get around to buying one. Sounds like I shouldn't bother?

Lee

JackieBlue

Banned
I have one and to me it is very sharp. I cut a london broil with it and it was like cutting butter. But, I put it back in the drawer without the sleeve by accident and I put my hand it the draw to get something else and OUCH. Finger cut pretty badly and deep. I wanted to throw the damn thing in the garbage. So be careful with it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Picked one of these up at an As Seen On TV aisle today.

It’s very sharp, albeit a little small. As BT said, not good for chopping, but it is darn good at slicing. Simply place the blade on the far end of your item, and gently pull through. Sliced! Just like that. No sawing.

I tested it on a Cherry Tomato, and a piece of cold leftover New York Strip. A single, gentle to medium pull through the item is all it takes. Very sharp.

But again, a smallish knife. I can see using it slicing tomatoes, peppers, onions, tenderloins, etc. Not sure I’d carve a whole bird due to the bones and the likelihood of dulling the blade. Fun little knife. Since it has it’s own sheath, I put it in a drawer, so it takes up no room really, and I can pull it out for smallish jobs whenever I like with little fuss.

I’d call it a good, small slicing blade. That’s pretty much where this knife shines – in the slicing. For other prep work like chopping celery, carrots, etc, no, go for a Chef Knife. But for smallish slicing jobs where you want thin, precision slices, this little jewel shines.

Attachments

• kn1.jpg
    kn1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 734
  • kn2.jpg
    kn2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 723
  • kn3.jpg
    kn3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 730
  • kn4.jpg
    kn4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 731
  • kn5.jpg
    kn5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 691
  • kn7.jpg
    kn7.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 714
  • kn8.jpg
    kn8.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, your photo of the sliced cherry tomato alone makes me want one of those knives, K!

And your photo of the sliced steak makes me want all of THAT! :)

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It's a great little slicer! As long as your item isn't bigger than the 5 inches of real-estate the blade has, you're good. Sharp, and very easy and clean slices. A simple pull does it.

I got this one at the Dollar General Market in the As Seen On TV Aisle (most Dollar General stores have an As Seen On TV aisle). You can also find them at Walgreens in the As Seen On TV aisle.

Embryodad

DW bought a Yoshi blade ceramatic knife at the dollar store as seen on TV.

Used it twice...wow sharp as a razor.

third time...cut a steak on a plastic cutting board...

fourth time to cut tomatoes...No Go! .....had to pierce the skin of the tomato as a starter to get the ceramic toy to cut..

Can't come close in sharp as my Foster Bros Mundial 10" chefs from Brazil.

So looks like Yoshi is a great knife for cutting frozen or hard butter eh?