Is corriander supposed to be mild or pungent?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I got a bag of ground corriander at the store today. I opened it expecting a rich pungent smell, but it was very mild instead. Is this normal, or did I get a bad batch?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I got a bag of ground corriander at the store today. I opened it expecting a rich pungent smell, but it was very mild instead. Is this normal, or did I get a bad batch?
hmmmmmmmmmmm i use whole corriander in my corned beef spice. i would say it is pungent when cooked not to sure about crushed uncooked as i never use it that way. but i have allergies so that could effect my nose. sorry i can't help more.

lesley

I find it pungent when added to meals, my friends won't even eat it now, they say it's too strong..I can see where they're coming from but I still use it, only a bit less..i can't imagine Indian meals without it, or Naan bread..

buckytom

Grill Master
it certainly can be both, much like teas.

teas are often described under a few categories, 3 of which are aroma, flavor, and astringency. that means you can have a tea with strong aroma, good astringency (or mouthfeel), but light or mild in flavour.

the coriander that i saved from my garden last year is the same. it's aroma is pretty strong, but the flavour is so mild that it disappears in some dishes.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well cilantro is pungent in both smell and taste while the seed coriander is a bit milder when dried and ground though it will add a lot of taste to a food. Many find it a distasteful spice/herb in general. I for one don't like the taste cilantro but like coriander in my dishes. I tend to use about 1/2 the amount of cilantro from what a recipe calls for while I don't with coriander.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well cilantro is pungent in both smell and taste while the seed coriander is a bit milder when dried and ground though it will add a lot of taste to a food. Many find it a distasteful spice/herb in general. I for one don't like the taste cilantro but like coriander in my dishes. I tend to use about 1/2 the amount of cilantro from what a recipe calls for while I don't with coriander.
i agree joe. cilantro tastes like tar to me and the family doesn't really like it either. when we go out i ask for salsa and quac without cilantro if possible. but i like corriander whole/seeds in my corned beef spices i put together (i place them in a tea ball for easy removal after cooking is done because they can make the food very strong if left in the pot.

vyapti

To me, coriander is a mild, undercurrent spice. It's flavor is a little hard to describe. It tastes a little like 'dirty' cilantro. I mean that in a good way. I use it with relative frequency, usually with cumin, where I think the blended flavors are very nice. And, FYI, cilantro is one of my favorite herbs.