Iron Chef Battle: Hot Dog Toppings

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I couldn’t decide on one way to make the Dogs tonight, so I have two entries. I present Philly Cheese Dogs and BBQ Slaw Dogs.

Philly Cheese Dogs
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=100403#post100403
Step_9a.jpg

BBQ Slaw Dogs
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=100404#post100404
Step_8-11.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Now, see Keltin....this is exactly why you have ten green thingies....:tiphat:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ok i am now really convinced that we are brothers keltin..lol

i was going to make an entry later on tonight when i got hungry.... bbq slaw dogs..lol

awesome brother

I couldn’t decide on one way to make the Dogs tonight, so I have two entries. I present Philly Cheese Dogs and BBQ Slaw Dogs.

Philly Cheese Dogs
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=100403#post100403
Step_9a.jpg

BBQ Slaw Dogs
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=100404#post100404
Step_8-11.jpg

lesley

I haven't had hot dogs since I got back from USA, I got spoilt there!!

As sassmuffin said it's usual to have with caramelized onions, & miniman, with mustard,
but we usually have them with piccalilli, I make a shed load of it in the Autumn, bottle it, & it lasts all year.
Piccalilli (Mustard Pickle)

Makes 10×1lb jars
Prep time 2 hours
Cooking time 18 mins (approx)
pickle-jar1.jpg

Ingredients

• 1 Large marrow, peeled, deseeded and chopped into bite size pieces
  • 3 Medium cauliflowers-cut into 1 inch/2.5cm florets
  • 1 Large cucumber-peeled and cut into 1/2inch/10cm rounds then quartered
  • 1lb/450g Runner Beans-top and tail-slice off the sides where the stringy bits are and cut into 1 inch/2.5cm pieces
  • 2lb/400g approx Shallots
  • I Whole nutmeg or 3 tsps ground
  • 1 tsp Allspice
  • 4oz/100g Mustard powder
  • 2oz/50g Turmeric
  • 12 Tbsp Plain flour
  • 1 1/2lb/700g Caster sugar
  • 6 cloves garlic (medium)
  • 6 Tsp sea salt
  • 4 Pints/2.4 litres Malt vinegar
  • Extra 10 tbsp Malt vinegar
  • 6-8 Tbsp water
Method

• Put the cauliflower-onions and 4 pints/2.4 litres vinegar into a large saucepan
  • Add the nutmeg and allspice and bring to the boil
  • Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes (depending on the crunch factor)
  • Meanwhile crush the garlic into the salt using a pestle and mortar
  • Stir in the chopped cucumber, beans and sugar
  • Now add the garlic/salt mixture
  • Bring up to a simmer and cover and cook for about 5 minutes
  • Check regularly
  • Using a large colander strain off the vegetables-reserving the liquid
  • Mix together the flour,mustard powder and turmeric in a separate bowl
  • Slowly add the extra vinegar and water to a smooth paste
  • Next add a ladle full of hot vinegar, drained from the vegetables and transfer the mix to a large saucepan
  • Using an electric blender or balloon whisk gradually add the rest of the hot vinegar
  • Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 4-5 minutes
  • Pour the liquid over the vegetables and stir thoroughly
  • Ladle into the hot jars and seal
Cooks Tip

• Wash the jars in hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly or put in dishwasher if possible
  • Heat the oven to 325°F/170°C/gas mark 3
  • Put the jars in the oven for 10 minutes to sterilise
  • Decorate the jars with glass paint/Christmas ribbon/labels
  • Serve with cold meats
Equipment

• 1 Large saucepan
  • 1 Large colander
  • Pestle and mortar
  • Large bowl
  • Ladle
Shopping List

• 1 Large marrow
  • 3 Medium cauliflowers
  • 1 Large cucumber
  • 1lb/450g Runner beans
  • 2lb/400g Shallots
  • Nutmeg
  • Allspice
  • Mustard powder
  • Turmeric
  • Plain flour
  • Caster sugar
  • Garlic
  • Sea salt
  • Malt vinegar

chowhound

That Philly dog looks awesome, Keltin.
What unique buns, too. They look much deeper, to hold more toppings.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Wait! Are we topping hotdogs, or making a dish and shoving a hotdog underneath it?! :yum::yum::yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's a good thing y'all are like family because I wouldn't share this kind of stuff with just anyone. My intention was to find a unique hot dog topping to enter into the competition. I will share it with you just so you know not to try this a home...or anywhere else for that matter...:oops:
Loaded hot dog:

I caramelized some onions, then I slit a hot dog almost all the way through and took some shredded cheese and bacon and mixed with some leftover mashed potatoes. I stuffed the mashed potatoes in the hot dog, sprinkled them with paprika and placed under the broiler. I buttered the hot dog buns and put them under the broiler. I put the caramelized onions in the bun and place the hot dog on top and this is what it looked like:

P6110601.jpg

I tried putting some ketchup on it but that didn't seem to help either :lol::

P6110606.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You know, if I had just used plain mashed potatoes and added sauerkraut to the caramelized onions, that probably would have worked better.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama - How about DC (Discontinue) the mashed, Go with carmelized onions, saute in some peppers while you are at it, add the bacon put that in the middle and on the side.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Barb - It sounds good to me the way that you made it. DW is Canadian and puts some mashed on the fork with most meat that she eats. I am sure that she would like it more than I do.

It seemed that you were looking for variations as well. Mine usually have kechup, mustard, chopped onions and sweet relish. Not imaginative or photogenic.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Barb - It sounds good to me the way that you made it. DW is Canadian and puts some mashed on the fork with most meat that she eats. I am sure that she would like it more than I do.

It seemed that you were looking for variations as well. Mine usually have kechup, mustard, chopped onions and sweet relish. Not imaginative or photogenic.

where is she from Andy?

Oh! and burned to a crisp before that.

and generally thats the way i like mine as well...ever had them deep fried?..ohhhhhhhh my..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It's a good thing y'all are like family because I wouldn't share this kind of stuff with just anyone. My intention was to find a unique hot dog topping to enter into the competition. I will share it with you just so you know not to try this a home...or anywhere else for that matter...:oops:
Loaded hot dog:

I caramelized some onions, then I slit a hot dog almost all the way through and took some shredded cheese and bacon and mixed with some leftover mashed potatoes. I stuffed the mashed potatoes in the hot dog, sprinkled them with paprika and placed under the broiler. I buttered the hot dog buns and put them under the broiler. I put the caramelized onions in the bun and place the hot dog on top and this is what it looked like:

P6110601.jpg

I tried putting some ketchup on it but that didn't seem to help either :lol::

P6110606.jpg

Awesome! That is so cool! I’d definitely eat that! Got any left??!?! Great job.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Bam,

My DW is from Lethbridge Alberta. One of her brothers still lives there, as does her daughter. Another of her brothers lives in Campbell River, BC and the other lives in Victoria, BC. I have visited Lethbridge and Victoria and find them beautiful.

So far as deep fried hot dogs there is a place in Northern Jersey named "Rutts Hut". It if locally famous for what it calls the "Ripper". That is a dog in a natural casing deep fried till it rips open. Rutts Hut goes back to the 60's.

Andy

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It's a good thing y'all are like family because I wouldn't share this kind of stuff with just anyone.

Ha--I thought that was ricotta cheese when I first looked at it. Very creative and beautiful pic. :clap:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I considered a lot of different toppings for my hotdog, but the more I thought about it, the more I said "Why mess with perfection?"

I give you: Hotdog topped with French's Yellow Mustard, and Sweet Pickle Relish.

nc0110833290207.jpg