Broiler question?

Derek

Banned
Ok, Last time the broiler was glowing a nice orange glow and I knew it was ready and it didn't take too long to get that glowing orange color.

Now today I'm trying to get my bbq wings ready for dinner tonight and my broiler is on and its not even hot. The broiler is set to 30 the same as it was before.

So do I need to call maintenance or do they take a while to heat up?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I kind of figured that and was just :yankchain: a bit. I sounds like perhaps the element burned out but I really don't know for sure. Be sure the rest of the stove will heat up as you might have simply flipped a breaker.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
when you heat up your electric oven, both elements come on..if your oven is set to 300 then its heating up and not broiling

turn the knob to broil and see if that works

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Same thing I was thinking BAM, I have a 'broil' setting on my knob as well. Anything else is just heating up the stove. However as a gas stove the broiler is right below the flame so really any temp I set it to will heat up the broiler. But that won't be the same as broiling.

Derek

Banned
when you heat up your electric oven, both elements come on..if your oven is set to 300 then its heating up and not broiling

turn the knob to broil and see if that works
The knob was set to broil, and it didn't work.

Thank god I cooked the wings 380 for 30 minutes so I don't get sick, since the broiler is messed up.

I do have the maintenance guy coming over Tuesday!

Calicolady

NO. When you set to 300, either on bake or broil, when it reaches 300, it dies back to maintain that heat. Silly guys.
If you turn it up to any other temp. the same thing will happen. Just watch.
If you set it to the highest it doesn't get any hotter because the coil heats up hotter, just longer.
Just like the microwave doesn't get hotter. The element, or whatever it's called for a microwave, just stays on longer.

Derek

Banned
NO. When you set to 300, either on bake or broil, when it reaches 300, it dies back to maintain that heat. Silly guys.
If you turn it up to any other temp. the same thing will happen. Just watch.
If you set it to the highest it doesn't get any hotter because the coil heats up hotter, just longer.
Just like the microwave doesn't get hotter. The element, or whatever it's called for a microwave, just stays on longer.
Why did it glow orange the first time, and not the second time?

Calicolady

You probably just happened to look when it was still heating up.
Turn it up and peek inside. If at any temp it doesn't, (glow), yes, then you'll need to have it looked at.
Replacing the element is easy 1,2,3.
You do have 2 elements, right? One on top of oven for broil and one on bottom for bake.

Calicolady

Glad you were able to get your dinner done. When the oven cools, look inside and see if that top element is smooth all the way around, if not it could have cracked, or otherwise deteriorated.
If that looks okay, turn your oven on. If that element doesn't heat up either, it could be your thermostat (which is attached to the side wall-mine's on the left side). It could simply be cruded up, or need replacing.

Derek

Banned
Glad you were able to get your dinner done. When the oven cools, look inside and see if that top element is smooth all the way around, if not it could have cracked, or otherwise deteriorated.
If that looks okay, turn your oven on. If that element doesn't heat up either, it could be your thermostat (which is attached to the side wall-mine's on the left side). It could simply be cruded up, or need replacing.
I did, but they didn't taste the same as before since it didn't crisp up good enough, but least they were semi good!

Calicolady

I meant to say turn your oven on to bake to see if that element works.