By Golly, I HAVE A PEACH TREE!

K

Kimchee

When we bought this house back in 03, we had a scrawny non-producing peach tree cut down.

This spring, I noticed a tree thing growing along our fence line, in a fairly
inconvenient spot for a tree of any kind.

Damn thing turned out to be a volunteer peach tree. It had green peaches on it forever, and I looked outside today to see... PEACHES!

They are kinda buggy looking and not at all pretty, but BY GOLLY I HAVE FREE STONE PEACHES!

And they are REALLY REALLY Good!

I just LOVE wild fruits and berries, and my perfect backyard would have peaches, apples, cherries, mulberries, blackberries, blueberries...

So now I have to decide.. does the tree stay? I think I might have to Bonsai this thing and see if I can keep it more of a big bush...

peaches.... my own peaches... yummmmmm
:clap::clap::clap::applause::applause::clap::a1::a1::a1::a1:

K

Kimchee

Sounds like a happy peach tree is one about 9 feet tall, pruned to have less branches but nice strong ones, and now is the time to prune! (Well when I pick it clean anyway.)
So we'll see what happens.... for now, it gets pruned and can stay. :)

leolady

Yeah! Let it stay!

I have planted a mini fruit and nut orchard and here is a photo of some of my tiny trees.

000_0003-1.jpg

Leni

You are SOOO lucky! This spring I had three chasing one another fighting for possession of the apricot tree. They got every one of the hundreds of apricots on it. They also got my nectrines and peaches. The only tree they didn't strip was my Satsuma plum.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, Kim!

You sound so excited about your peaches! Of COURSE it has to stay!

Lee

K

Kimchee

Squirrels? A big black lab, a smaller labtriever and a 20 pound cat do fairly well at squirrel repulsion! (And mole control.)

So this tree is 3 trunks, each about 2 inches thick, each about 13 feet tall. It is gonna be 1 trunk 8 feet tall, whoever has the best load bearing branches, I think.

My poor peaches have bugs. But that's OK; I can cut them out and the rest is great!
cream... I need some CREAM! Man, it has been DECADES since I had a fresh peach sliced up in some sweetened cream... drooool....

K

Kimchee

They aren't pretty, and most had bugs and or worms, but these are 100% volunteer and by golly are they tasty!

Attachments

• Peaches2010.jpg
    Peaches2010.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 170
K

Kimchee

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

A blast from the childhood past, right down to 2% milk instead of cream!
Sliced peaches sprinkled with sugar, then sloshed with milk.
I always let mine sit to sweeten up! Damn that was tough with these.

Yummmmmmmmmmm...........

Attachments

• PeachesCream2010.jpg
    PeachesCream2010.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 160

Leni

I was at Henry's market today where they had peaches at four pounds for five dollars. I could not resist. Peach cobbler or whatever. YUM!

buckytom

Grill Master
those look good kimchee, spots and all.

this reminds me of a night several years ago that ozzy and i had gone to a party at a friends' house in the bronx.

we went outside to share a smoke :mrgreen: and suddenly ozzy was standing there in the circle of people with handfuls of small peaches.

apparently, no one noticed that a peach tree that looked more like a tall weed had grown in the back corner of a walled in yard, amongst other weeds.

leave it to ozzy to find something for munchies. they were incredible, worms and all, lol.
it was very dark out and the smoke was humboldt, as i recall, so no one cared...

K

Kimchee

Yeah, bet those were GOOD peaches ;)!
Back as a kid, a couple friends and I had all the fruit providing plants in the neighborhood pegged.
Peaches, mulberries, plums, apples, berries.... we had a route and visited them all, usually at night. Good thing we didn't get arrested!