How to and how long to keep bacon grease.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
My grandmother kept a can of it on her stove, adding to it each time she cooked bacon, which was pretty much every day (working farm). Probably not safe or recommended by today's standards, but none of us ever died or even got sick from her practice.

Me, on the rare occasions when I do save it because I know I'm frying potatoes or some other use for it later in the week, I let it cool, put it in a container and refrigerate. I don't bother keeping any long term because I just don't have that much use for it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I put it in a small container and keep it in the freezer. I keep it until I have a fresh batch of grease, or until it smells like .... well, like freezer burn.

I just nuke it for a half a minute or so until it's soft enough to scoop out what I need, then put it back in the freezer.

Lee

Johnny West

When the kids were home I fried lots of bacon, would get several jars going and periodically would throw the oldest out. Now we keep the sugar free bacon grease for frying and used some today with the pot roast. Anyway I'd keep it for months on end and no one complained.