Greek Meatballs

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Greek meatball recipe

1 lb ground turkey
1-1⁄2 lb ground pork
1-1/2 large onion, minced fine (we did it in the food processor with smashed garlic)
3-4 garlic cloves, minced fine
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh mint, (I keep fresh mint in the freezer as I don't use it that often and detest dried as I feel it has no flavor)
3-4 slices white bread, crusts removed if from a very dense loaf
1⁄4 cup milk
1-1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 egg
1.5 oz ouzo liqueur (optional)

Process bread into crumbs and moisten in milk.

Gently mix meats, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and mint.

Add bread crumbs and egg to meat. Add the ouzo in if you are using, Gently mix so that everything is incorporated evenly. This makes a VERY soft meat paste-like mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.

After at least an hour, cook a small amount to test for seasoning and to see if it will hold together, and adjust as needed by adding more flavorings and/or bread crumbs. Let it sit a little while longer if you add in more bread crumbs so they will soak up some of the excess liquid. Then, shape into 1 to 1-1/2 size meatballs or form sliders. These can be baked or fried or grilled (be careful). If you fry, no higher than medium because they will start to burn. Use olive oil, vege oil, or a combo. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

You can mix up the meats, all of 1 kind (except g. beef, flavor would be too strong), or use a combo of g. beef, turkey, pork, or lamb.

ETA: You could probably just saute this up as loose meat if you didn't want to go to the trouble of making balls or sliders. Loose meat would go in a pita just fine.

Attachments

• greek meatballs.jpg
    greek meatballs.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yum!

I would definitely make them with all or part ground lamb!

Topped with tzatziki, definitely!

Lee

Johnny West

That looks great. I'd sub coconut milk for regular milk and add some almond flour to help bind it a bit.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Don't think I would sub coconut milk as it would throw the flavor profile way, way off.