Best LARGE bread machine

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Looks like DH will be going gluten free and aside from the really terrible bread that can only be obtained frozen, I'll be baking for him.

I don't really want to bother, but if I can put ingredients into a machine and it makes enough for a while, even a few weeks, it won't be so bad.

So - long story short - what's an affordable bread machine with a large mixing capacity? And do I need a different knead for gluten free bread, if anyone knows?

Thanks all!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>>>it makes enough for a while, even a few weeks, it won't be so bad.

sorry to bear the bad news, but "a while" for homemade, preservative free bread is something on the order of 3 days.

get a stand mixer, dump the bread machines - they are "programmed" for mix/knead/bake cycles which are highly unlikely to work for gluten free.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I'm sorry; I didn't mean to give the impression that I expected one batch of bread to stay good for a month on the counter. I'd freeze it; I just think it would taste better than commercially frozen bread.

We had a bread machine back in the day and liked it. A DAK. I have found that if you use a mixer the dough travels up the hooks. I prefer a bread machine, even if I'm baking in the oven.

Anyone else?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Oh ..... that's good to know. My old Sunbean is fine for mixing cakes and cookies but it's not dough worthy.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's what MINE looks like.

It is said to be the largest & best one that your money can buy. :wink:

Attachments

• Zojirushi BBCCX20..jpg
    Zojirushi BBCCX20..jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 126

Shermie

Site Supporter
Zojirushi. it might be styled differently now. Had it since '06, but it still works perfectly though!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I always said that when I replaced my DAK, I'd get a Zo ... you must really love it!

Mine can knead a 3 lb loaf, though; I'm OK with the size, specially for the price I paid.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks. Yes I DO love it!! The best one there is!! You won't go wrong, even if you get the small one!!

They still make that style.

In fact, they make THREE sizes now - a very large 2-lb size, the 1-lb one identical to mine and a small mini size unit.

go here to see them;

www.bedbathandbeyond.com Under bread machines.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here it is with a stainless steel body, black top & black bottom! :piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Onyx & Stainless Steel Bread machine..jpg
    Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Onyx & Stainless Steel Bread machine..jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 119

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of the little one. :piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• Zojirushi Mini Bread Machine..jpg
    Zojirushi Mini Bread Machine..jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 122

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of the older vintage Zojirushi bread machine.

It's still available at Amazon.com. :bounce:

Attachments

• Zojirushi Vintage Bread Machine.jpg
    Zojirushi Vintage Bread Machine.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 119

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
things that a bread machine has issues about . . .

Attachments

• JoC_WhiteBreadPlus.jpg
    JoC_WhiteBreadPlus.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Bag_1.jpg
    Bag_1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20091220_2.jpg
    20091220_2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 108

Shermie

Site Supporter
Mine can still let you process the dough inside the machine, take the dough out and finish it by hand to let you make the style of bread that you prefer to do in your regular oven. :wink: :chef:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
you should explore whether the machines will work "across the board" with gluten free recipes. I'd suggest an enquiry over at thefreshloaf.com

bread machines are "programmed" - and some of the low end models have no or only rudimentary "adjustments" for the dough type.

the Zojirushi machines have an excellent reputation for being more flexible/settable/whatever than most.

and gluten free recipes are different. you may wind up with a very expensive counter brick.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
thank you for walking me through it. I am going away for a few days and will sort it all out when I get back next week.

Shermie

Site Supporter
A dough cycle? I hope that's standard. That's mostly what I use.

Yes. In this case, dough-only cycle.

It lets you be more creative & versatile by letting you have the traditional 'HANDS-ON' feeling of working with the dough by hand, as though you've used your regular stand mixer to knead it. :piesmiley1::eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I forgot to mention that with my large Zojirushi machine, there is a shortcoming, but it's minor to me.

And that is, that you can't allow the outside bottom of the aluminum baking pan to get wet when cleaning it between uses. The interior is ok to get wet, but at all costs, you MUST avoid getting the pan's exterior wet!!

Reason being, is because the drive mechanism on the bottom exterior can be damaged, I'd imagine, from rusting!!

But since the pan's interior has a non-stick coating, wiping it clean is very easy, though you MUST take out the kneading arms to clean any baked-on dough that might be them, and from around the small drive posts.

The drive posts can then be WIPED clean, also! :driving::wink: