Cincinnati Cheese Coney

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

From "TRUTH OR CRAP?? - 11/20/08
"This is a specialty from Cincinnati and is often called a 'Coney.' The history is somewhat vague, but a Macedonian immigrant, Tom Athanas Kiradjieff gets the credit for this sandwich.
En route to Cincinnati, he passed through the Coney Island area of New York. Later when he decided to cover one of his hot dogs on a bun with mustard, Cincinnati Chili, and onions, and top it all off with a lot of finely grated Cheddar Cheese, he named it a 'Coney Island' and the name sticks to this day. 'Coneys', as the locals call them, are now
made with a hot dog that is a bit smaller and shorter than a regular wiener, to allow more room for the chili and other goodies that goes on it."

Cincinnati Cheese Coney

Serves: 4-8
8 hot dogs, grilled
8 hot dog buns
Ball Park mustard, such as French’s or Bertman
Chili (recipe below, or use your favorite))
1 cup finely grated mild cheddar cheese
Diced white onions

Place grilled hot dogs on buns. Spread bottom half of each bun with a tablespoon of the
mustard. Top each hot dog with some of the hot chili, a few tablespoons of the cheese
and onions.

Cincinnati Chili
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 lb ground chuck
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can (6-ounce) tomato paste
2 cups water
1-ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method:
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add beef and cook until golden brown.
Remove beef to a plate. Add onions and garlic to the pan and cook until soft. Add the
spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and water and whisk until smooth.
Return the meat to the pan, add the chocolate and bay leaves and bring to a boil, stirring
often. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring often. Season with the​
salt, pepper and vinegar.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Cinci Chili is one of those regional dishes that has never really gone beyond Cinci. I remember about 15 years ago Skyline Chili tried to put a restaurant in Mentor, Ohio (275 mi. North of Cinci), and it was out of business in a couple of months. The folks up here like their chili thick and hearty with nothing else needed for a meal except maybe some buttered bread, not watery and poured over spaghetti noodles. Yuk! I've spend a lot of time in Cinci and tried every one of those chili joints, but could never find one that I liked. On a culinary chart of favorites, I put it right up there with Lutefisk!:dizzy:

simplicity

I've spend a lot of time in Cinci and tried every one of those chili joints, but could never find one that I liked. On a culinary chart of favorites, I put it right up there with Lutefisk!:dizzy:

I grew up having to eat that nasty lutefisk every Christmas. I eat tamales now. Much better option.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
okay !
curiosity's got me!

gonna have to look up "LuteFisk", which I thought at first was a typo-"K" for"H".........

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Never been to Cincinnatti; but I've got a recipe somewhere that talks about having the Chili "one way", "two way", or "three way"............. I'll see if I can find it, and I'll post it for "Historical" purposes.