Cold Smoking?

AllenOK

Well, after doing the mods that I've listed in my "Eureka" thread, I've been thinking. Obvisouly, I've been smoking at a much lower temp than I thought, when my cooker was stock.

OK, take out the mods (none are permanently mounted anyway), and move the cooker out in front of the house where it's exposed to the winds during the Fall. I already know that it will not get over 180 degrees F, if that, as I've already done that 18 months ago.

I'm thinking maybe get a charcoal basket and go Minion Method (I'm normally a stick/log burner), so I can get a longer, more controlled, steadier burn. But, at a much lower temp, say, 150 degrees F?

Sounds like a perfect setup for homemade bacon and homemade andouille.

GrillinFool

My FiL does this for Ribs. No joke. Starts them about 8 in the morning and we usually eat around 6.

He and his neighbor have identical Brinkman offsets. Not the new cheapies. These were $500+ each. But they can't keep the temp up so both swear that the 10 hour method is the way to go. And both like fall off the bone ribs. I did baby backs at about 275 for 2 hours and then about 90 minutes in foil and they were fall off the bone and blew their mind. Did it in one of their grills too. Just put the charcoal at the far end of the grilling chamber rather than the fire box.

Oh, and do you want the mother of all cold smoking. Take a coffee can, throw in about 4 hot briquettes and a chunk of wood on top and put on the side away from the chimney. On the other side, put blocks of cheese on a baking dish. Smoke for about 4 hours. You will have to add a briquette or two during the process and another chunk or two of wood. But in the end, smoked cheese...