Avocado

Jim54

As some of you know, I grew up in Brazil. We had an Avocado tree in out backyard. If you know much about Avocado trees, you know that they are extremely productive. At times we had a backyard covered in its fruits. Brazilians do not make guacamole (that is a Central American thing) but they do eat Avocados... as a dessert! It supplemented there meager fate needs (Avocados are full of fat). With one Avocado, you can make a dessert for two.

Ingredients:

1 ripe Avocado
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 heaping teaspoon sugar

Directions:

1. Cut the Avocado in half. Remove the pit.
2. Place lemon juice and sugar in the hole left by the removal of the pit.
3. With a spoon, scrape the Avocado meat mixing it with the juice and sugar.

If you are serving this to a group of people, you can demonstrate the directions, give them an Avocado half, lemon juice, and sugar so that they can make their own. If you do this for them, the danger is that the meat will turn brown by the time you serve it. Besides, it is fun :wink:

Apart from Guacamole, which I LOVE in all its different forms, my other most favorite way to enjoy an avocado is simply to split it, remove the pit, & fill the cavity with any salad dressing that happens to appeal to me at the time. Red French (aka "Catalina") is a favorite, as is basic Italian, & even Blue Cheese. Makes a quick & easy lunch.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I had a nice crispy piece of toast with avocado spread on it, lemon juice and salt for breakfast. Regarding the fat in them it is good fat!

Leni

I'll make flour tortillas and while they are hot slice avocado onto it. Roll it up and you've got a feast.

chilefarmer

Jim, many years ago back in the mid 60's. I was in California over around Oxnard or that area. I could buy avocados 20 for $1.00, road side stands. Coming from the back woods of East Texas I had never eaten an avocado. I learned to love them pretty quick. CF

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
My favorite way of eating an avocado is just slice in half, remove seed and sprinkle with sea salt and with spoon in hand... eat away! :)

Jim54

Jim, many years ago back in the mid 60's. I was in California over around Oxnard or that area. I could buy avocados 20 for $1.00, road side stands. Coming from the back woods of East Texas I had never eaten an avocado. I learned to love them pretty quick. CF

20 for $1.00! I guess the ones I had (also in the 60's) were cheaper. I just wish they were cheaper now. I lived in Houston for a while and they had very cheap there. Unfortunately, that is not the case in Middle Tennessee.

Wow! A lot of good ideas about how to use this great fruit!

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
When my husband was in college back in covered wagon days he picked avocados for cash. San Diego county. We live where the original Haas tree came from. Lots of Avocado trees here we have one, which is enough for us. Goes well with my Meyer Lemon tree.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I maintain that avocado is one of the most sensual foods you can eat.

Lee

K

Kimchee

Next time you make Spanish or Mexican rice, dice up an avocado and
mix it in right before serving. Yum!

I recently got a wild hair, and tried roasting avocado....
Now I understand why Ann Burrell told one of her Worst Cooks
that avocado isn't good cooked.
Had an interesting nutty flavor with some possibilities, but I much
prefer them raw, LOL!

Jim54

One of the other ways we used to eat them and used diced Avocados in a salad with lemon. It seems that Avocados and Lemons just go together in so many uses. Just dice the avocado on your favorite salad and then squeezer a lemon of top.

Kim, no, the are not good cooked :)