Where do you get your wood for smoking?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm ready to try smoking some meats. Where do you get your wood for smoking?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Will you be using logs for fuel, Doc, or will you be using charcoal for fuel and wood chunks/chips for flavoring?

If it's the latter, you can buy all kinds of different flavors of chunks and chips in bags. In my ACE hardware store, I carry hickory and mesquite chunks, and for chips, apple, cherry, maple, hickory, mesquite and Jack Daniels (made out of the oak and whiskey barrels).

I use hickory chunks and Jack Daniel chips almost exclusively. I use cherry chips when I smoke bacon and/or ABT's.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lee. I would be using charcoal and wood chips.
Been wanting to try smoking for awhile now and by golly I'm going to do it this season. :D

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
NOOOOOOO! Doc, don't start....you will get hooked and never be able to turn back. I BEG you to reconsider and just be happy with your average tasting meat from the oven or the grill top. Buy a bottle of liquid smoke and learn to be satisfied with that. You're such a nice guy I would hate to see you get addicted like some of us are. Think of your family, they too will feel your addiction and before long will start scouring the countryside looking for 55 gal olive oil drums and old file cabinet to build smokers out of.

It's a slippery slope that you will have no control over. Please reconsider....:yum:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe it's all yous guys fault I'm wanting to try it so bad. All the outstanding displays of food that I can only see a picture of is driving me bonkers. I want to smell and taste it to. So unless some of you deliver I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take the plunge into smoking! :D

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe it's all yous guys fault I'm wanting to try it so bad. All the outstanding displays of food that I can only see a picture of is driving me bonkers. I want to smell and taste it to. So unless some of you deliver I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take the plunge into smoking! :D
OK, but remember that you were warned. Join the club...:alc:

chowhound

I love my Ace hardware store. They carry everything Lee mentioned, the only thing around here is their BBQ supplies tend to be seasonal. Last winter they ran out of apple chips and didn't restock until summer weather set in. I've tried a couple online sources and will stick to purchasing what I can find locally.

Norscaner

Doc smoking is worse than crack..I started out just smoking fish then progressed to sausage now I smoke anything I can get my hands on. I now have 4 smokers and am always on the lookout for parts to build a new one. Do not talk to Bams or Smoke king they are like the gurus of smoke.
You have been warned ....enjoy:chef:

High Cheese

Saucier
I buy Cowboy lump charchoal from Lowes along with bags of mesquite and hickory for flavor. I'm fresh out of firewood, sometimes I just build a fire in the SFB and use wood from the woodpile (cut down a bit of course). I still have a bit of apple from an ice storm a coupla years back, almost done with that.

Doc, do you have a chimney starter? You'll need one of those too. I throw in a couple pieces of mesquite or hickory for flavoring about 15 minutes into the cook. Maybe use a total of 4 baseball size pieces for a rack or two of ribs.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will need a chimney starter also, heck I still have to get me a smoker. I had never looked for the wood and wondered how hard it was to come by before I jump into this smoking process. As it stands now, I need it all. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have bought mine from Lowe's, WalMart as well as Miejer's. Lowe's usually has the largest selections of woods as well as chunk sizes. The other two carry most of the 3 popular woods or so combo bags. My smoker uses gas to fire the wood and control the heat so I avoid large chunks and prefer a larger chip over chunks. I've also used the pellet type in both my on stove/in stove smoker as well as my out door smoker. I find it works as good for giving the flavor to foods.

High Cheese

Saucier
If you read up on the Chargriller thread you'll see there's an issue with evening out the temps from one end of the cooking are to the other. I would NOT recommend a Chargriller, or any other SFB smoker, and opt for a vertical smoker (my next purchase :D). Also, buy a stainless steel chimney, the cheap $7 jobs don't last too long. I keep a dedicated pair of tongs to move the coals around.

You need:

Smoker
Charchoal
Mesquite/Hickory
Chimney
Lighter/Long Match Sticks
Grill Grate Brush
Tongs
Stack of old newspaper
Spray bottle or brush for mops

..some meat and beer. :bounce:

Try my easy OTS ribs. http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8554&highlight=ribs

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks HC. Actually I can't wait to try ribs on a smoker. :thumb:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I buy my chips at Ace. They have apple, hickory, and mesquite in just the right size chips for my smoker...

smoke king

Banned
I buy my chips at Ace. They have apple, hickory, and mesquite in just the right size chips for my smoker...

Another vote for Ace. Mine carrys most all varieties in both chips and chunks. A bonus with Ace is that they seem to carry every grilling/smoking gadget and device known to man!! (and I do love my gadgets.........)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love my Ace hardware store. They carry everything Lee mentioned, the only thing around here is their BBQ supplies tend to be seasonal. Last winter they ran out of apple chips and didn't restock until summer weather set in. I've tried a couple online sources and will stick to purchasing what I can find locally.

I'm the manager of my Ace, and I carry a full line of grills and toys all year long (natch, LOL!)

Chow, if you, or anyone else for that matter, needs something that your local stores only carry in season, let me know and I'll send it along to you.

Lee

phreak

I personally don't like mesquite or hickory too much, they both seem harsh to me. I will add a little of either along with cherry, citrus, or maple, but don't use them exclusively anymore. My preference is nice sized(fist or a little larger) chunks. They last longer which means less opening and closing of your smoker(that means more steady temps). Locally I go to our recycling drop off spot. That's where everyone is supposed to also take their yard waste. I get more citrus, maple and oak than I could ever use myself. My family from Michigan gets me apple, cherry, and pear wood from cleaning up their properties. Once you get bit by the bug you will be amazed at the opportunities that are all around you for free wood that you never noticed before.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I personally don't like mesquite or hickory too much, they both seem harsh to me. I will add a little of either along with cherry, citrus, or maple, but don't use them exclusively anymore. My preference is nice sized(fist or a little larger) chunks. They last longer which means less opening and closing of your smoker(that means more steady temps). Locally I go to our recycling drop off spot. That's where everyone is supposed to also take their yard waste. I get more citrus, maple and oak than I could ever use myself. My family from Michigan gets me apple, cherry, and pear wood from cleaning up their properties. Once you get bit by the bug you will be amazed at the opportunities that are all around you for free wood that you never noticed before.

I miss the ACE HW stores around here. We had them in Florida but here in Lexington the last closed about a month after we arrived. Home Depot is gone in this area as well now. Lowe's is about it though some other places carry the smoke woods as well.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

agree with u phreak

when i lived in michigan, i used craigslist to find alot of trees.. usually free

there are also local suppliers for firewood that sell different kinds of wood.. oak or maple are the norm.

i prefer chunks but will use chips in a pinch or if its a kind of wood i cant get locally like pecan

Love2"Q"

we have true value stores here that carry alder, apple, cherry, hickory,
oak wine barrels, and mesquite ...
also the lowes by me has started carrying apple ...
a good bit of feed and seed stores carry it ..
and southern states has been known to carry smoking wood ..

Love2"Q"

and to add .. if you know anyone that runs a tree service company ..
they can get you plenty ...
i am picking up a half a truck load of maple this weekend ..

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
If your local ACE Hardware does not have something in stock, you can order it online and have it shipped to the local store for free. It shows up with their weekly order from the distribution center. That's how I got the cover for my Brinkman smoker.

Doc, have you considered an electric smoker vs the charcoal smoker? The advantage for me is plugging it in and walking away after putting my wood chunks in place. I use a remote thermometer with a high temp alarm, and I just go on with my life while a consistent temperature is maintained without any intervention. This is a real benefit when you are smoking something like a 10# fresh picnic ham that takes 12 hours to get to 195 F. No need to start another chimney of charcoal and adjust things to maintain the temperature. The downside is obviously not having access to electricity, but the electric unit can be converted to charcoal by removing the heating element and lava rocks. You cannot go to electric without purchasing the element.

Just my 2 cents for your consideration.

chowhound

If your local ACE Hardware does not have something in stock, you can order it online and have it shipped to the local store for free. It shows up with their weekly order from the distribution center. That's how I got the cover for my Brinkman smoker.

Doc, have you considered an electric smoker vs the charcoal smoker? The advantage for me is plugging it in and walking away after putting my wood chunks in place. I use a remote thermometer with a high temp alarm, and I just go on with my life while a consistent temperature is maintained without any intervention. This is a real benefit when you are smoking something like a 10# fresh picnic ham that takes 12 hours to get to 195 F. No need to start another chimney of charcoal and adjust things to maintain the temperature. The downside is obviously not having access to electricity, but the electric unit can be converted to charcoal by removing the heating element and lava rocks. You cannot go to electric without purchasing the element.

Just my 2 cents for your consideration.

Joe, you're taking all the "fun" out of Qing.
It's not the kill, it's the hunt.

Seriously, once you get the feel of things, maintaining a nice steady temp using charcoal (or wood I imagine) is half the fun of it. Not necessarily convenient, but it does add to the accomplishment.

(This coming from someone who uses gas to grill.)
:yum:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, you're taking all the "fun" out of Qing.
It's not the kill, it's the hunt.

Seriously, once you get the feel of things, maintaining a nice steady temp using charcoal (or wood I imagine) is half the fun of it. Not necessarily convenient, but it does add to the accomplishment.

(This coming from someone who uses gas to grill.)
:yum:

"Every party needs a pooper that's why they invited me,
Paaaarty Poop-er....Paaaarty Poop-er."
:mrgreen:

Love2"Q"

i am with chow .. i love to play with fire ...
always have .. (sorry about those curtains mom )
but i have thought about getting an electric for the long smokes ..

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. Lots of good info. I bet the wood chips are a real profit maker for the stores. I have about 50 acres here and hardly any of the woods you've mentioned. Lots of locust, buckeye, some Ash. I do have a couple of apple trees I plan to take down whenver i get around to renting an excavator. And I have 5 chestnut trees that I need to take down in order to add a new road to the far part of the acreage. None of it sounds like the kind used for smoking.

As for charcoal or electric, I've been back and forth on that. Ill let you know once I decide and enter the world of smoking. :D