Are any of you hunters?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
We have some fishermen among us but do any of you hunt? I'm originally from North Dakota where my family hunted for generations and I've lived in both Fargo and Bismark. Growing up in my family meant that you hunted, period. It was a large part of my life as my father was a passionate outdoorsman and game birds and big game were on the dinner menu as often as not.

Those of you who know me are aware that I've been into lots of unusual activities throughout my life. Here's one you don't know about: rifle building, something that grew out of my upbringing....

In the 1980's and 90's I had a Federal Firearms License, aka Gun Dealer, and was able to obtain guns, parts, and accessories wholesale so I built a few special rifles for myself. These more or less waterproof rifles were built prior to the large manufacturers marketing similar products because I needed the proper equipment to withstand two week horse packing Elk trips in the Rockies and sitting all day on a lonely Wisconsin deer stand in the rain. There was nothing commercially available that could take the corrosive punishment so I made my own guns.

I'm about to sell off some of my stuff so I took pictures today when I unpacked to see what I had down here. Here are a couple of my favs.

This is a 300 Winchester Magnum with a Shilen Custom stainless steel barrel painted matte black which has been Magnaported, fitted to a nickel plated Finnish Sako action which is Acraglas bedded into a Brown Precision fiberglass stock. Notice the handloading info I had written on the stock. :) It was (I no longer hunt) my primary Elk rifle. I have larger bores used when in big bear country.

IMG_3038.jpg

And then there's this little 257 Roberts Ackley Improved cartridge rifle used for Whitetails in Wisconsin. It requires hand loading as the cartridge is unique and not found on shelves anywhere but certainly worth it. Douglas SS barrel, Mauser Mark X action Acraglas bedded into a Brown Precision glass stock.

IMG_3037.jpg

Last edited:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I have not hunted in a while, but my last all purpose weapon was somewhat similar to the Winmag you built. I started with a new Remington Enfield model 1917, rebarrelled, action modified, Timney trigger, totally modified bolt. New stock in prime walnut. Weaver K-4 scope.

That weapon would out shoot anything I ever owned. A year or so ago I gave my son and grandson my long guns. The Winmag is enjoying a new lease on life in the hands of my grandson. I now get my venison free. For some reason I am still the butcher.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice Buzz. :thumb:

Like you guys, I used to hunt but have not gone out for 10 years or so. We have quite the gun enthusiast crowd over on FF and offer up guns for sale in one of the forums. I would post em there for you if you wanted, or of course you are welcome to Buzz.

I suppose you know about gun broker .com and some other similar sites like them where you can put your guns up for sale and have others bid on them or buy them.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
It's been a while since I've been hunting. Mostly quail and dove for Sunday Dinner and a few deer for meat for the table.

Lefty, you don't need a rifle around here, there are so many deer most folks just use their car :D

My first shotgun was a well used Model 12 16 gauge and my first rifle was a 7X57 sporterized 1895 Mauser mail ordered from Montgomery Ward. $39.95 plus shipping.

My first 22 was a Remington 722 with a 26" Douglas Heavy Sporter bbl in 22-250. Handload only the first year until Remington introduced it in a factory chambering.

Jim

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I did this year for the first time in 42 years but didn't get anything this time. I went with some hunting friend deer hunting though only one deer was bagged. I have worked up a hunting load for my 45 Colt rifle that I also use for cowboy action shooting. My new dedicated hunting gun is also old school a 45-70 Gov that I've loaded with rounds using bullets from 350 grains to 500 grains. Not a great picture but that is the Rossi Rio Grande 45-70 with a Bushnell Banner scope 1.5 - 4.5 x 32mm.

Attachments

• Rossi Rio Grande 45-70.jpg
    Rossi Rio Grande 45-70.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 125

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I knew there's be some hunters here and I wish I was still doing it. Moving to FL 15 years ago messed up my routine.

Joe, those are some nasty looking cartridges...... :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I knew there's be some hunters here and I wish I was still doing it. Moving to FL 15 years ago messed up my routine.

Joe, those are some nasty looking cartridges...... :)

Yes they have been using the 45-70 in a cartridge from the 1870's. It was also what shot out of the Gatling gun and the 45-70 was the US Military rifle round till 1903 when they went to the 30-06. Loaded right there is no game on the planet it won't drop with one shot. It was a standard 405 gr bullet over 60 gr of black powder till late 1890's. I use about 6 different powder bullet combos from target/plink varmint shooting, up to anything on in this hemisphere but have the components to load for elephants if I needed too.

Last time I hunted was as a kid in Florida, but in those days shot gun was all that was allowed. They may have changed it since then but I haven't kept up.