Meatless Meal Days

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Many people are doing "meatless" meals (no animal flesh, fish is ok) more often for health reasons. I am looking for ideas for meatless, healthy meals. Not sure if this will catch on be what the hey!! I'll kick it off with tonights dinner.

Spinach tagliatelle topped with fresh tomato, fresh basil, broccoli, onion, fresh garlic, quartered mushroom caps, green onion, carrots sticks, hot pepper paste, sea salt, ground peppercorns & ground red pepper flakes sautéed in grapeseed oil & EVOO and mixed salad (baby greens, baby spinach & arugula topped with sliced mushroom caps, broccoli, black olives, green olives, tomato, green onion, peeler carrot curls, imitation bacon bits, slivered almonds & salad supreme topping) dressed with Good Seasons Italian made with apple cider vinegar, EVOO, flaxseed oil with black sesame seeds added.

100610_pasta_veggie_sauce.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I love those eggplant parmesan pictures! Just beautiful stuff. Our TNT meatless meal is mac and cheese (not very original - and probably not that healthy, either.) But another idea is minestrone soup - I never put meat in my minestrone, and it is so hearty and good that you never miss it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Some wonderful ideas!!

(I hope people will post pics of their meatless meals.)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms - The mushrooms taste a lot like meat to me.​

IMG_1978.jpg

Chopped onion
Chopped garlic
Chopped mushroom stems
Toasted bread crumbs
Chopped parsley
Mario Batali Four Cheese Blend​

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms - The mushrooms taste a lot like meat to me.​

IMG_1978.jpg

Chopped onion
Chopped garlic
Chopped mushroom stems
Toasted bread crumbs
Chopped parsley

Mario Batali Four Cheese Blend​
Thats fantastic!! I have never cooked the large ports. I do use baby bellas for soup and stuffing. I am going to have to try this! Thank you

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, peep, did you know that we have an entire forum devoted to meatless meals? It's the Vegetarian forum and has tons of great ideas posted in there!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Hey, peep, did you know that we have an entire forum devoted to meatless meals? It's the Vegetarian forum and has tons of great ideas posted in there!

Lee
LOL I forgot. But I started this as a Meatless "Dinner" thread like a sister to the regular dinner thread. Stupid idea I guess. Sorry. It can be deleted.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Delete it? No way! You have some great pictures in here and got some people responding!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I like a sautéed mix of carrots, celery, green pepper, garlic, onions, and mushrooms if I have any on hand. I normally add a little meat taste with a small amount of thinly sliced sausage. For total veggie I use bacon salt instead.

vyapti

We make tacos almost every week. It's one of the few things that both of my picky kids will eat without complaint. One of my favorite toppings is beans & bulgur. I saute an onion, then add half a cup of bulgur, a cup of water and a tbs of taco seasoning. Let it cook (like rice) for 20 minutes, then stir in a can of re-fried beans & juice half a lime. Other toppings I use are black beans, lentils, spanish rice, or quinoa.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We make tacos almost every week. It's one of the few things that both of my picky kids will eat without complaint. One of my favorite toppings is beans & bulgur. I saute an onion, then add half a cup of bulgur, a cup of water and a tbs of taco seasoning. Let it cook (like rice) for 20 minutes, then stir in a can of re-fried beans & juice half a lime. Other toppings I use are black beans, lentils, spanish rice, or quinoa.
That sounds great!!

I picked up a box EACH of white, black and red quinoa. I would love some recipes/suggestions. I think if I mix some of each togehter it would make a nice color combo.

loboloco

A good, meatless meal:
Black-eyed peas or Crowder peas with diced onions cooked in and maybe a pepper or two. Serve with Cornbread or Yeast rolls.
Another is Turnip or mixed mustard/turnip greens and cornbread. Use a little pepper vinegar sauce to add some tang to the greens.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Bump for cooksie

Last night's meatless meal - Tostados with re-fried beans, colby jack cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and guac:

BeanandCheeseTostado.jpg

Once I piled all that other stuff on there, I didn't really miss the meat at all.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Last night's meatless meal - Tostados with re-fried beans, colby jack cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and guac:

BeanandCheeseTostado.jpg

Once I piled all that other stuff on there, I didn't really miss the meat at all.
That still looks fantastic!! LOL

Leni

Those tostados look so good Cooksie. My mouth is watering. I'm literally changing my plans for dinner tonight as a result. I have leftover chicken and think that I will make chicken tostados with spanish rice as a side. :chef:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How does one eat a tostada?

Do you pick it up in your hand or cut it with a knife and fork?

Is it crunchy and will break up when you bite or cut it?

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I can't speak for Cooksie, Lee.
But I've always eaten them like an open face taco.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
A soft one, or a crunchy one?

Does it break up when you take a bite?

Lee

A crunchy one.
It can break up when you take a bite, just like a taco would.
If you allow them to sit on the plate long enough with hot toppings and the tostada shell softens a bit, then they don't fall apart nearly as bad.
In my experience, of course.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhh, good tip, Sass! Thanks!

I hate that breaking up business.

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Lee, my experience with tostadas is that you have to pick it up and eat it - too crunchy to eat with a knife and fork. It's a messy business no matter how you do it, but it is SO worth it.

Mr. Green Jeans

Spaghetti with TVP (texturized vegetable protein: you can get it in health food shops) soal 2/3 cup TVP in 2 cups of hot water + 1 vegetable (but I cheat and use beef) bullion cube to. Let stand for 10 - 15 minutes. Drain and add to sauce. It has a texture like that of ground beef.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks Leni :mrgreen:

Tostados are messy. I break mine into four pieces, pick up each piece like a big nacho, and chow down.

vyapti

Spaghetti with TVP (texturized vegetable protein: you can get it in health food shops) soal 2/3 cup TVP in 2 cups of hot water + 1 vegetable (but I cheat and use beef) bullion cube to. Let stand for 10 - 15 minutes. Drain and add to sauce. It has a texture like that of ground beef.
I like to use bulgur instead of TVP. I make sloppy joes with bulgur and grated tempeh.

abi_csi

Some great ideas for meatless meals - I'm a particular fan of Veg chilli, made with beans and veg instead of ground meat - it's delicious.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm not off of meat by any means, but I've had meatless two nights in a row. Tonight I splurge!

Mushrooms stuffed with a mixture of butter, chopped mushroom stems, green onion, garlic, cream cheese, and topped with a mixture of crushed croutons and parmesan cheese:

Stuffed_Mushrooms.jpg