Old Man Pepper plant

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dan, I'm sorry that Leni and I hijacked your Thai Pepper thread by discussing Old Man Peppers!

So, I am starting a thread for that variety.

Leni, is this the pepper plant that you have? This photo was titled "Wrinkled Old Man Peppers" . LOL!

Lee

Attachments

• wrinkled old man pepper.jpg
    wrinkled old man pepper.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 267

DanMcG

That's a wild looking pepper Lee, and no problem with the hijack.
So if I want to show ya my Hot Hungarian's I should start a new thread? they are going crazy this year, and seem hotter the normal

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Dan, please start a new thread.

And remember to add tags at the bottom, so that internet searchers can find the thread!

Lee

Leni

It certainly looks like it. It's called Old Man because it is wrinkled and bent. Let me know when you get the peppers that I sent you.

Dan I have grown peppers year round here in SoCal. When the weather is hot they are hot. When it cools off in the winter they are much milder. If it's hotter than usual where you are that would explain the added heat of the peppers.

DanMcG

If it's hotter than usual where you are that would explain the added heat of the peppers.

Thanks Leni I never knew that.
LOL I better warn my buddy that I gave some seedlings to and told him they were mild....he don't like hot.

Leni

Another rule of thumb is that the smaller they are the hotter they are. The Ot pepper was just a 1/2 or less long.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Leni, I started a few seeds that you sent me in peat pots yesterday. For me and some friends.

Can't wait to try these funny peppers!

Thanks again for sending the seeds!

Lee

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Leni,

I only have one plant that made it from the seeds you sent me, but it is doing very well!

I couldn't remember if you said they were hot or not, so I picked one and verrrrry carefully ate one tiny bite after another. No heat! I ate the rest of it like a string bean!

These will be terrific in salads, on an appetizer platter, as garnishes for Bloody Marys, cut up and sautéed with onions and sausages .... so cool!

:a1:

Lee

Attachments

• Old Man pepper plant.JPG
    Old Man pepper plant.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Old Man pepper.JPG
    Old Man pepper.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 166

Leni

They are very good and the plant produces a lot. I tried these when the owner of a nursery down in Dana Point told me that one of her customers buys four flats of these every year. During the summer they have block parties and he roasts them on the barbecue.

Mine are just now begining to turn red. Anyone want some seeds just let me know.

I've got another one for you. Have you ever heard of the pepper 'Fleur'? It literally looks like a flower. It is mild but very pretty. I've seen it only once in the nurseries and never in the catalogs.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooooo, roasting the peppers?! I will definitely try that, thanks!

I have never heard of "Fleur" but will look it up.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have served the Wrinkled Old Man peppers as appetizers twice - once grilled outside (forgot to take a pic!) and once seared in a frying pan. Both times they were a huge hit with my father, my friends and with me!

They are not at all hot, the seeds are small, the skin is thin. They are just delicious tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper!

The little round things in the photo are some teeny jalapenos that must have been from a mutant plant. But they were good, too!

Thanks so much, Leni!

Lee

Attachments

• Wrinkled old man peppers, sauteed.JPG
    Wrinkled old man peppers, sauteed.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 131