It's Thursday 10/20! What's gonna be on your table?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I never did get to make the chicken yesterday so that will be on the menu tonight. I'm also going to make another batch of apple butter in the crock pot. The last batch didn't last very long.:cooking:

It's the late great horror film star Bela Lugosi's birthday, so, as usual, I'll be making my infamous "Breezy Chicken Hungarian Goulash" (or should that be "Ghoulash"? Lol!). Will be served over buttered egg noodles with a big green salad & some nice blood-red wine. Here's my recipe:

BREEZY CHICKEN HUNGARIAN GOULASH

1 pkge. (approx. 1 pound or so) boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
Extra-virgin oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup dry white wine (Chablis or Pinot Grigio work well)
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
Hot Hungarian paprika (or freshly ground black pepper) to taste
1 8-oz. can sauerkraut, undrained
1 8-oz. container sour cream
Cooked buttered egg noodles for serving

Coat bottom of large coverable skillet with olive oil. Brown chicken pieces lightly for a few minutes. Add onions, garlic, & celery & sauté until vegetables just begin to soften, being careful not to let garlic brown/burn. Add wine, broth, tomatoes, & bay leaves. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes or so, until chicken pieces are just cooked thru. Remove cover & continue simmering until liquid has reduced to a stew-like consistency (or to consistency of your taste). Remove bay leaves & stir in sauerkraut, heating thru. Add hot paprika (or black pepper) to taste. Turn off heat & stir in sour cream. Serve over cooked buttered egg noodles.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have sea scallops and spinach. Not sure if it will be pan seared scallops with sauteed spinach or the scallops over a warm spinach salad. I do have bacon drippings :whistle:.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's interesting that chicken is on so many menus...mine included! DW asked me to clean out my cache of chicken parts that I have been saving for soup season, so I pulled out 4 quart freezer bags of pieces-parts, and made up a pot of stock. After skimming off most of the fat and straining the broth, I diced up some onions, celery, carrots & potatoes and tossed that in the stock with two cups of salvaged chicken meat. I'm now cooking the homemade dumplings and that will be dinner with some Italian bread. Carbo loading soup!

Dinner112011.jpg

Last edited:

Leni

Since I have all of the ingredients I'm making beef tacos. I've got avocados that I need to use.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Baked chicken breast, mashed and gravy, microwave steamed fresh carrot coins and frozen peas.

102011_chicken_breast.jpg

K

Kimchee

Made a nice pot of Senate Ham and Bean soup. It was a cloudy and chilly
day............. perfect for soup!