Tuscan Cooking, Pasta e Ceci, Chickpea and Pasta Soup

lesley

Pasta-e-Ceci.jpg

I made this because we'd eaten it in Florence & loved it. It's really a simple peasant dish from Tuscany but so healthy & as we are digging our way out of the snow this week I decided to do a batch & freeze it...although I could have just stuck it outside the back door!! It's nice with crusty bread or corn bread.

Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 35 mins
Ingredients
1 Small onion
1 large celery stick
1 Large clove of garlic
2 X 400g Tins chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 X 400g Tin chopped tomatoes
500ml Ham or chicken stock
Small sprig of rosemary
Handful of basil, chopped
Handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
100g pasta (see Cook’s tips)
Rock salt and ground black pepper
Method

You can either finely chop the onion, celery and garlic or blitz them in a food processor
Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a heavy casserole dish
Add the onion, celery and garlic
Season with rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
Gently cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently
Add the chopped tomatoes and sprig of rosemary
Pour in 500ml of ham or chicken stock
Bring to the boil and add the chick peas
Simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally
Strain the soup, reserving half the chick peas and tomatoes in the sieve
Pour the remaining chick peas and tomatoes back into the soup and bring to the boil
Blitz the soup with a hand held stick blender or use a food processor
The soup now becomes a creamy mixture
Add the other half of the chick peas and tomatoes along with the pasta (see Cook’s tips)
Bring back to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the pasta is al dente
At this point you can add more boiling water if necessary (your choice)
Stir in a handful of chopped basil and flat leaf parsley
Remove the sprig of rosemary
Season to taste
Serve with warm crusty bread

Cook's tips

Any kind of pasta can be used, but the smaller the better

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That really sounds delicious, and simple as well. I just may make it today, as it's very cold here as well and I need to go tot he grocery store anyway. I'll make up a half batch of french bread and bake a couple baguetes to go with it. Thanks, lesley!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That really sounds delicious, and simple as well. I just may make it today, as it's very cold here as well and I need to go tot he grocery store anyway. I'll make up a half batch of french bread and bake a couple baguetes to go with it. Thanks, lesley!
bread bowls bread bowls to serve in and post pics!! LOL

side note: morning joe did you bring coffee? how your DW this morning?

lesley

you're welcome :thumb:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
bread bowls bread bowls to serve in and post pics!! LOL

side note: morning joe did you bring coffee? how your DW this morning?
Bread bowls....do you think I want to work as hard as vyapti?:lol: Yes, this is a great candidate for bread bowls, but sadly, it's not going to happen today. I needed to start the dough last night. Besides, I still have half a loaf of whole wheat no-knead to finish first

Yes, the coffee is fresh. Slide your cup over here. DW is having her cereal and reading the paper before going to work. She leaves in 30 minutes.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Bread bowls....do you think I want to work as hard as vyapti?:lol: Yes, this is a great candidate for bread bowls, but sadly, it's not going to happen today. I needed to start the dough last night. Besides, I still have half a loaf of whole wheat no-knead to finish first

Yes, the coffee is fresh. Slide your cup over here. DW is having her cereal and reading the paper before going to work. She leaves in 30 minutes.
thank you. tell DW i hope she has a wonderful day!!

pass the cream and sugar please

tinycoffee-150.jpg