Making ice

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
If you have an automatic ice maker, like I do, do you always keep it on, or do you make ice only when you need it or when you run out ?

I don't want our ice to be stale or freezer burned tasting, so I really only make a small amount as needed, but since it's been running out so fast with this really hot August, I filled the ice bucket this week - twice already !!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Mine has a feature that stops it from making ice when the ice drawer gets full, but I'm not sure how often that happens. It's been really hot here this summer and we've been using lots of ice.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I assume mine will also stop. although i usually turn it off way before. the scene from i love lucy's chocolate factory comes to mind .....

FryBoy

I've had an ice maker on every refrigerator I've owned since 1968, and I wouldn't buy one without the feature. They all stop making ice when the bucket is full or else they're overflow.

I leave the ice maker on all the time because it takes 24 to 48 hours to fill the bucket from scratch. However, now and then I dump all the ice out and start over with a new load as ice takes on off-flavors if it sits too long, and it gets funky tasting frost on it.

I have my ice maker hooked up to a triple-filter system, as is the refer's water dispenser. Saves a ton on bottled water and makes great coffee, as well as good ice for drinks.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Fry, does yours run well if the freezer isn't super cold? when I make ice, the night before I always crank the freezer up full blast.