Veggie Tots

calcmandan

For dinner tonight I opted to use a frozen prepared veggie dish called veggie tots to complement the meat. According to their site, they have a variety to choose from. Here is the product page https://www.greengiant.com/products/detail/green-giant-veggie-tots-broccoli-cheese/

The package says broccoli and cheese. it was clearly coated in cornmeal and was delicious. So naturally I'm considering a recipe to mimic the item.

Here it is fresh out of the oven. https://www.omgwtflol.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/LaBLWX6zYR9WpWe

I assume it was flash frozen after a quick bake to solidify the corn coating. The filling is raw and requires a full bake at 450 for 16-18 minutes.

I'll take a crack at the recipe. Please review the recipe submission and please provide suggestions on what I could do to improve it.

Ingredients

2 broccoli crowns
1 cup mild cheddar, shredded
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp onion powder
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup almond flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp white pepper

Directions

Heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Cut the broccoli crowns small enough to fit into a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Set aside.

Combine the heavy whipping cream and cheddar in a sauce pan under low heat. When the cheddar has melted, add the onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper. Mix until well distributed and until the cream has evaporated enough to slightly thicken. Remove from heat. Combine the broccoli with the cheese sauce and mix well. Beat the egg yolks and fold it in until evenly distributed. Fold in the almond flour.

In a large bowl, combine the corn meal, coconut flour, seasoned salt and mix well.

With a tablespoon, scoop out the filling and drop it in the corn meal mixture. Roll it around until evenly covered. Shake excess and place on a silicone or parchment lined cooking sheet. Repeat this process until the entire filling is coated.

Place in oven and bake for 16-18 minutes.

Sent from my Gemini_4G using Tapatalk

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They look pretty good, Dan! What did you think of them?

Did you serve them with any sauce, ketchup, etc.?

Lee

calcmandan

I haven't cooked them yet. The picture of the cooked product was from the frozen product my spouse bought. I ate them last night and loved them. So my recipe submission is a best guess of a homemade version and I"m asking for input on any improvements or whatever. The store-bought stuff is really tasty. Oh and I ate them alone, as a side dish replacing my normal steamed veggie preparation. Thought it would be a good change from my routine.