Chicken with Green Sauce -- TNT!

FryBoy

We planned on having burgers on the grill tonight, but the expiry date on all the ground meat at the supermarket when I went on Friday was the 29th, so we had the burgers on Saturday and made this tonight.

Chicken with Green Sauce, or Petto di Pollo con Salsa Verde in Italian, is one of our favorite warm-weather dinners. The flavors are amazing! The sauce is really a pesto without cheese, although I suppose you could add some grated Parmesan if you wanted. It would be good over pasta, too. Anyway, the dish is great hot, warm, or ice cold. It's from one of our favorite Italian cookbooks, Cucina Rustica by Viana La Place & Evan Kleiman, with a few very minor modifications in the directions.

Here's the recipe (printable copy attached -- see below):

SLICED CHICKEN BREAST WITH GREEN SAUCE
Petto di Pollo con Salsa Verde

Chicken
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 3 or 4 chunks
1 celery stalk, cut into 3 or 4 chunks
4 springs of Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
4 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
salt

Put the vegetables and salt in a pan with enough water to cover the chicken and bring
to boil.

Add chicken to boiling water, return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook about
10 to 15 minutes, until chicken is just barely cooked through.

Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Discard cooking liquid and vegetables.

Chicken may be served hot, but it’s better at room temperature or chilled.

Green Sauce
½ cup Italian parsley
¼ cup fresh basil
2 large cloves garlic
3 anchovies
2 tablespoons capers
¾ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a container and chop with hand-held blender until well mixed, or
finely chop everything by hand and mix.

Service
Cut each half breast crosswise into ½-inch thick slices; arrange on plate, fanning out
slices; top with green sauce.

Good with sliced hot or cold boiled potatoes and asparagus or green beans, also
topped with sauce. Some bread to sop up the sauce would be good, too.

Attachments

• Chicken with Green Sauce.jpg
    Chicken with Green Sauce.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 207

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wanted to use up some of my garden herbs before the frost hits, and had two huge chicken breasts thawing .... so I did a search of NCT and WA-LA! A recipe that fit the bill!

I added a couple of sprigs of rosemary and sage in the poaching liquid (and peppercorns and a bay leaf).

I had a can of 8 (I think) small anchovies rolled around capers and used the whole can ....what good is half a can of leftover anchovies? Made for a rich sauce, but not at all fishy - HONEST!

DELICIOUS SAUCE! I served more on the side for dipping the chicken. And I dipped every bite-sized piece. :wink:

And an added bonus is that you have a quart of great chicken stock to freeze!

Thank you, Fryboy, wherever you are!

Lee

Attachments

• Chicken with green sauce.JPG
    Chicken with green sauce.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 139

Johnny West

I've never heard of this and will give it a try. I love anchovies and capers so no worries there.

Thanks Lee (and fry boy)