Martha's Seafood Paella

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My friend Martha attended a one day cooking class in Spain as part of a cruise ship outing and this is what they made. I had it last night at her place and it's a winner. Mussels and squid were unavailable at the time so she made it without them. :wink:

SEAFOOD PAELLA

Fish:
4 Crayfish (langoustines)
1 pound Squid (separated-no ink)
8 large Shrimp (whole)
8 Mussels
12 Clams

2 cup Arborio rice

4 cups fish stock (7 cups water, shrimp shells, 1 tomato, 1 gram saffron strand)

Mixture #1: ½ cup olive oil, 8 tablespoons fresh parsley, 4 cloves garlic (cuisinart)

Mixture #2: 1 leek, 1 medium onion, 2 tomatoes, 1 red pepper (cuisinart)

Mixture #3: 1 tsp salt, pepper, 1 tbsp dried beef bullion

1 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika

1.2 swirls of olive oil in paella pan
2.add and brown chopped squid
3.add shrimp and crayfish (careful stirring so as not to break off claws)
4.add mixtures #1 and #2
5.take out shrimp and crayfish
6.add rice, mixture # 3 and paprika
7.add fish stock, stir
8.add shrimp, crayfish, mussels and clams (in a decorative pattern)
9.Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (until stock absorbed & mixture has a crisp top)
10.Cover with a wet towel until ready to serve.

Attachments

• MarthaM.jpg
    MarthaM.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 165

homecook

That actually doesn't sound too difficult. Now all I need is a paella pan......any suggestions on what else you could use?

GotGarlic

Hi, HC. My mother-in-law gave me a paella set for Christmas a couple of years ago. As you can see in the pic, the pan is broad and shallow, with a curved side. It provides a lot of surface area to allow the liquid to evaporate, as well as be absorbed by the rice. If you have a large skillet, that would work.

homecook

Thanks Buzz! I'll look into that. There's one not too far from here. I also have a ton of 20% off coupons. lol