Cookie Question

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ok, here it is.

YEARS ago, I made a recipe out of a book I'd borrowed from the library.

It was a date (or fig) sandwich cookie.

The cookie part contained whole wheat flour, butter-- the usual ingredients for a cookie base, not quite shortbread, but you get the idea.

The inside filling was either made of dates or cooked figs.
It was supposed to be like a F Newton, but not quite.
These tasted absolutely superb and rich.

Wish I had the recipe. :(

Anyone??

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
In Maida Heatter's Book of Great Cookies pages 206-208, she has a recipe for "Big Newtons" that makes 30 large cookies. The pastry contains white and whole wheat flour. I assume this is the cookie that you are seeking. I will try to rewrite it for you soon!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
In Maida Heatter's Book of Great Cookies pages 206-208, she has a recipe for "Big Newtons" that makes 30 large cookies. The pastry contains white and whole wheat flour. I assume this is the cookie that you are seeking. I will try to rewrite it for you soon!
Thanks Susan.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Sorry, it won't be tonight. I am too pooped to pop and just accidentally erased everything I had typed.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
You can't remember the name of the book you checked out? And did Google turn up anything that refreshed your memory?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I think Susan's right. I don't have the book but I did find a picture of the recipe here: Big Newtons

That's not it.
They were sandwich cookies, cut in rounds with the filling in the middle.
They didn't taste like a Newton at all really, not the same texture or anything.
They were of a heavier texture, almost like a biscuit.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Big Newtons are a thicker, juicier version of the fig newtons that one buys in a store. It is not a sandwich cookie, although it is made with both white and whole wheat flours. I am sorry that wasn't what you were looking for but later on today, I shall try to post it anyway. They are really good!

Calicolady

In looking around for a possible recipe for you, I found these.
They may not be what you're looking for, but they look good.
They look so good, I'm going to make them.

2911746743_2d542dbb56.jpg

www.asmartmouth.com/2008/10/04/almond-and-fig-filled-whole-wheat-scones