Potatoes, boiled until tender and diced
Hardboiled eggs, chopped
Celery, chopped
Red onion, chopped
Salad olives w/pimientos, chopped
Prepared mustard
Miracle Whip
Salt and pepper

This is the way my mother made potato salad, so I still do it the same way. I love the olives and red onions in it. There are no set amounts for ingredients. This is just a mix-and-taste type recipe. I like a lot of "stuff" in mine, and I like a lot of mustard.

Mix the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, and olives together. Add some mustard and Miracle Whip. Mix and taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more mustard and Miracle Whip as needed.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This really looks good Cooksie. I've saved it and will give it a try.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I was thinking about this a minute ago and no I've had this before or something very similar. My wife reminded me that her mother made potato salad like this but I don't remember her ever feeding me anything except grief. :smile:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I was thinking about this a minute ago and no I've had this before or something very similar. My wife reminded me that her mother made potato salad like this but I don't remember her ever feeding me anything except grief. :smile:

Lol--Gotta love some of those mother-in-laws :angry:. Sorry if I stirred your buried potato salad memories.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I made this for today to go with Ribs, cole slaw, pasta salad and baked beans. I just had to try it and it is now my favorite potato salad. I did add a bit in edition to what you have listed I added a little bit of green onion, bit of parsley and sweet pickle relish. I also made the sauce using equal parts of Miracle Whip and a Spicy dark mustard with a splash of Sherry Vinegar. I really did like this girl and it was excellent really.

Biskit

When you're all done making your spud salad, give 'er a liberal sprinkling of paprika over the top. I garrauntee ya you'll think you died and went to Heaven! :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I did Biskit as a matter of fact it is the Spanish Smoked paprika. I also gave it a shot of Hickory Bacon Salt as well on the eggs before adding them.

Biskit

Sounds good, Joe. I remember my mom using some mustard in hers, though not sure it was half and half with Miracle Whip. She even cut onion greens in, if the young onions were at the right stage. Boiled eggs, of course, chopped whole pickles sometimes and that's about it. Her spud salad bowl never came home with anything in it after a church potluck. (dammit!)
Dad and I had to eat leftover other stuff.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I got a feeling this is how those will be but not at church socials since if I went to church it would fall down on me. I used some sweet pickle relish in this as I was out of pickles at the moment. The bacon salt added to the eggs as well and this time I tried the hickory but will try others as I make it again and again. I actually love the texture as I mashed them but left some lumps rather than real smooth. I really love the way it turned out too and kind of reminds me of my mother's also. Now my mother could only make two things I liked, fried chicken (did them in lard) and potato salad which was very close to this now that I've eaten a bowl of it. The poor woman was hopeless in the kitchen though both of my grandmothers where good cooks, my father's mother was a supper cook the best food I've ever hand with few exceptions.