does anyone test HBP

Carolina Cooking

mine is really high now. As of Dr yesterday.

I am taking a med for it now also.

I am going to get a home monitor to test.

does anyone here do that, test at home.?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I do. I have a digital Omron with an arm cuff. When I go to the dr, I get all anxious, white coat syndrome :shock:, and my bp is always high when he measures it. I keep a bp chart and take it in when I go. Mine has been good lately (about 115 over low 70's). Sorry to hear that yours is high.

I bought the Omron at Walgreen's.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I try to test my bp every day but since I slip in and out of afib it's hard to get an accurate reading. I usually can get it after a few tries. First thing in the morning before I start the day is best.

I have better luck with the cuff type monitor, had one that went on my finger and it wouldn't read most of the time.

Jim

Carolina Cooking

my last reading was 158/92 :sad::sad: Its been running 129/82ish.

I want to know if my meds are kicking in. I see wal mart has the wrist monitors & lots of good reviews.

However it does seem folks have better readings with the cuff type. I tell ya everytime they put that on me, its hurts worse then me taking insulin.. I want to jerk that thing off.

Relion wal mart brand seems like a good one too. I know their D supplys are really good. since I have insurance now I don't need them anymore.

thanks for the replys..

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I check mine at work when I am feeling stressed-out, with the portable vitals monitor/nurse on a stick.
Mine usually runs 110/70... when stressed it's been as high as 140/90.. don't think it's ever gone higher than that.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I check mine at work when I am feeling stressed-out, with the portable vitals monitor/nurse on a stick.
Mine usually runs 110/70... when stressed it's been as high as 140/90.. don't think it's ever gone higher than that.

The dentist can make mine shoot up there. Last dental visit the assistant checked my bp, and the dentist decided to monitor bp during the whole procedure. When he seemed to be alarmed, I just got more freaked :w00t:.

cookingirl

I have an Omron automatic digital one at home. Have had it for many years. very reliable. The readings with the wrist one seems tricky...this one, all you do is wrap the cuff on your arm , hit a button, it inflates on its own and gives a reading..and it stores your last one...When I bought this one, this was the best brand on the market..
The tips I have been told... do not take it every day; do not take it repeatedly in one day..BP fluctuates as the day goes.. exercise, being upset, nervous, etc,,,I have white coat syndrome and you would be surprised at how much that affects it....it takes quite a few days for the meds to kick in completely..so give yourself till the week end... at least that is what I would do...the more you stress over it the higher it will go...take a few deep breathes, relax and then go for it!!

Carolina Cooking

I have an Omron automatic digital one at home. Have had it for many years. very reliable. The readings with the wrist one seems tricky...this one, all you do is wrap the cuff on your arm , hit a button, it inflates on its own and gives a reading..and it stores your last one...When I bought this one, this was the best brand on the market..
The tips I have been told... do not take it every day; do not take it repeatedly in one day..BP fluctuates as the day goes.. exercise, being upset, nervous, etc,,,I have white coat syndrome and you would be surprised at how much that affects it....it takes quite a few days for the meds to kick in completely..so give yourself till the week end... at least that is what I would do...the more you stress over it the higher it will go...take a few deep breathes, relax and then go for it!!

CYN
If you don't mind looking at Wal Mart site & seeing if that one is there. There are so many IDK what to buy.

thanks..

cookingirl

ok--I will look tonight--am in work now and getting ready to 'pack it up'!
Mine is about 20 yrs old"!! but it still works!!

cookingirl

Barbara, I pulled up WM and checked out a few..I think it depends on your price range..I have always heard good things about Omron for health monitors..and the most accurate..I saw where someone commented that Relion is made by Omron---that I do not know..I think I spent at least $60 for this one..To me , it looks like the 33.88 R, the O 10 series 64, or the O series 3 for 49.....
I like the automatic cuff--the three readings, I don't know about. always thought that one was better..the auto cuff inflates to the correct degree (it kind of goes up about 20 points higher than your last reading) and then deflates automatically..
I think after you purchase one, it would be a good idea to have it checked out at your doc's office for accuracy..
I know we have nurses , a DOC :wink:, and other health care workers on this site who may have more information to share.. but these are my thoughts--hope they help you a little..:heart:
Good Luck, let us know what you decide..
cyn

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The Omron digitals are great.
I don't own one, but have borrowed one off another nurse in a pinch.
They work fine if placed properly and you hold your arm still.
When it comes to taking blood pressures and getting an accurate reading, I still prefer the old fashioned way.. with a cuff and scope ;).. but always drag the nurse on a stick around with me as well.