Some potato recipes for Thanksgiving

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok here are two that I have ready for the oven to finish off tomorrow. This will go with the two 12 lb smoked turkeys and a full Brisket of Beef. We are also having cranberry sause, peas/carrot combo and brussel sprouts. My wife also baked a pumpkin and apple pie. I got both of these recipes from Food Network and can attest that both are really good though rich.

Baked Mashed Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese and Bread CrumbsPrep - Giada De Laurentiis
1 tablespoon butter
4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return the potatoes to the same pot and mash well. Mix in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes. Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill.
Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
Brandy and Orange-Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups - Emeril Lagasse
7 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
4 large oranges
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest until just cool enough to handle.
Lower the oven to 350 degrees F.
Make the orange cups by cutting the oranges in half and scooping out the pulp, leaving only the shell. Set aside.
While still somewhat hot, peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Discard the skins and tough, stringy fibers. Add the butter, and with an electric mixer, beat out the lumps. Add the sugar, eggs, orange juice, heavy cream, and brandy, and mix until smooth. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. Re-season, to taste.
Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the orange cups, mounding and smoothing the top. Bake until puffed and slightly golden, about 20 minutes.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
8 servings

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Both are excellent Doc I know I ate half of each today while doing the prep work. Good thing I doubled the recipe since I have so many coming tomorrow for dinner. :whistling:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What ever happened to JoeC? He never posts anymore???

Oh Joe??? Joe?????