1/2 teaspoon salt

POACHED EGGS
8 cups water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
8 eggs
salt (optional)
paprika (optional)

preheat oven to 350.
For croutons, slice crusts off bread with a bread knife; discard crusts.
Cut bread into 1/4 inch strips; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and lightly spray with oil. Bake 15-20 min. or until Golden Brown.
Remove from oven. Set aside.

While croutons toast, prepare spinach mixture.
Microwave spinach according to package directions using a small microwavable bowl.
Line a large colander with several paper towels; add spinach.
Fold over towels and squeeze out water; remove spinach from towels and place into a 1 1/2 quart saucepan.
Add cream, cheese, garlic and salt; cook and stir over medium heat 4 to 6 min. or until cheese is melted.

For eggs, bring 8 cups water and vinegar to a boil in a 12 inch skillet; reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
Crack one egg into a small mixing bowl and gently. Add to the water; repeat with remaining eggs.
(To poach eggs to even doneness, slide the first egg into the water closest to the handle. This will provide a marker for your starting point. Add the remaining eggs clockwise around the edge of the skillet. When the eggs are cooked, remove with the skimmer in the same order.)

Carefully move a skimmer under eggs to prevent sticking; cook 3 to 5 min. or according to desired doneness. Remove eggs with skimmer to paper towel-lined plate; season with salt if desired.

To serve, spoon spinach mixture evenly onto serving plates; arrange croutons around edges of spinach. Top each serving with two eggs and sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
Serves four

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a perfect brunch dish, LT!

With a few sausages on the side? Yum!

Lee

Leni

Try using a potato ricer to squeeze out the excess liquid. It's easier and does a much better job.

I make something similar, but a bit simpler.

I cook up some spinach - fresh, frozen, whatever - & drain thoroughly. Then line a baking dish with it. I top the spinach with how ever many poached eggs I want, & then top the lot with a very cheesey Bechamel (aka "white") sauce, top with more grated cheese of choice & sometimes some breadcrumbs, & pop into a hot oven for around 15 minutes or so (I like my eggs WELL-done - lol!).

Works great as both a brunch, lunch, or supper dish.

Lol!! Yeah, I know. I'm committing egg sacrilege. Just can't stand the texture of runny eggs. Same reason I don't care for raw oysters. Cooked through - I adore them. Raw - no thanks.

When we go out for breakfast, I always get a smile from the waitstaff when I ask for my eggs "hockey puck style".