Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had almost everything already for this dish - just had to buy the peppers.

The cubanelle gave it a nice kick!

Hers was prettier than mine.

Lee

Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice

Recipe by Linda Gassenheimer http://www.miamiherald.com/living/food-drink/recipes/article85053662.html

1/2 cup green bell pepper cut into large cubes
4 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup peeled and quartered onion
1/2 cup tomato quarters
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
1/2 cup seeded cubanelle pepper cut into large cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 8-ounce chicken breasts with bone, skin removed
1/2 cup long-grain white rice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup beer
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup sliced sweet pimentos

Make the sofrito: Place green bell pepper, garlic, onion, tomato, 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and cubanelle pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend until mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and saute 1 minute. Add the water, beer and sofrito. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat to medium and cook 15 minutes. Do not let the liquid come to a boil. Add the peas and pimentos. Cook 5 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro on top and serve.

Per serving: 523 calories (19 percent from fat), 11.3 g fat (1.9 g saturated, 6 g monounsaturated), 95 mg cholesterol, 37.8 g protein, 63.5 g carbohydrates, 8.2 g fiber, 95 mg sodium.

Yield: 2 servings

Attachments

• Puerto%20Rican%20chicken%20and%20rice.JPG
    Puerto%20Rican%20chicken%20and%20rice.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 112

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks good Lee.

I don’t understand when you say “the cubenelle gave it a kick”. Do you mean heat? The cubanelle peppers I get are mild. I use them for sausage and peppers when I can find them. They do have a nice flavor. If there are hot ones I would love to try them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Peep, I was surprised, too. I have used mild cubanelles in the past, but this dish had some heat to it, and there was nothing else spicy in there.

Lee