Pierogi

Bells

My mate has just discovered that I have never had a pierogi and wants to make them tonight. I have discovered that they are made from stuff that I usually avoid like the plague but I'm willing to give them a try. I need ideas. I'm thinking of sour cream but beyond that I'm kinda stuck. Any ideas would be welcome.

Re: Pierogi help

My husband is Ukrainian & ADORES Pierogi, which his mother frequently made for him from scratch (something I have yet to try). We enjoy any of the commercial supermarket brands, & have also purchased online from "Millie's Pierogi", a terrific company to deal with - absolutely delicious:

http://www.milliespierogi.com/

Millie's website has some serving ideas, but what my husband enjoys most is simply after a brief boil, lightly saute the pierogi in an obscene amount of butter until just golden, sprinkle with a little salt & freshly-ground black pepper, & serve with a couple of large dollops of REAL sour cream (no-fat/low-fat not allowed with Pierogi - lol!).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Bells, probably the most common filling is based on mashed potatoes, but I've never made those.

My Polish family has made two kinds all my life: one kind is stuffed with Farmer's cheese (like ricotta, only much drier), and tiny-diced salt pork which is fried till golden. The other kind is made with drained and rinsed saurkraut, sauteed onions, and rehydrated dried mushrooms.

The dough is simply King Arthur's flour (very important - that brand works best), a little warm water and a small chunk of chilled butter.

The technique of dough-making, resting, rolling out, cutting out, filling, pinching shut, boiling, and draining is a process that requires time. My family always made the fillings one day, then did all the rest the next day.

Let me know how much detail you would like and I'll help if I can (though I am going out most of the day today).

This is time-consuming, but storebought pierogi can't compare to homemade!

Photos below are of pierogi draining and then after being reheated in a frying pan with a little butter, sprinkled with diced fried-out salt pork, served with borscht.

Lee
Pierogis 2006.JPG
Pierogis and borscht.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Oops! I just read Breezy's post and she probably interpreted your meaning of the word "making" correctly!

LOL! Well, someday if you want to make them from scratch, I'm here!

:)

Lee

Bells

Thank you QSis. Much appreciated.

I'm thinking of frying them in butter but am not sure how to serve them.

Bells

My husband is Ukrainian & ADORES Pierogi, which his mother frequently made for him from scratch (something I have yet to try). We enjoy any of the commercial supermarket brands, & have also purchased online from "Millie's Pierogi", a terrific company to deal with - absolutely delicious:

http://www.milliespierogi.com/

Millie's website has some serving ideas, but what my husband enjoys most is simply after a brief boil, lightly saute the pierogi in an obscene amount of butter until just golden, sprinkle with a little salt & freshly-ground black pepper, & serve with a couple of large dollops of REAL sour cream (no-fat/low-fat not allowed with Pierogi - lol!).
Thanks! I have sour cream on my list and HE is going to the store. I'm really lost on how to serve these things.

My mate has just discovered that I have never had a pierogi and wants to make them tonight. I have discovered that they are made from stuff that I usually avoid like the plague but I'm willing to give them a try. I need ideas. I'm thinking of sour cream but beyond that I'm kinda stuck. Any ideas would be welcome.

Is it the potato filling you don't like? I buy Mrs. T's. potato & cheddar or potato & onion filled perogies, but they carry other varieties. Just to give you some ideas:

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/products/products.aspx

Recipe ideas:

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/recipes/recipes.aspx

Several additional traditional accompaniments are sauteed onions, sauteed cabbage, & sauerkraut.

Plain pot-cheese-filled ones can also be served like a dessert - sprinkled with powdered sugar & served with fresh berries. When they're in season, Millie's sells pierogi's filled with wild blueberries that are WONDERFUL!

Bells

Is it the potato filling you don't like? I buy Mrs. T's. potato & cheddar or potato & onion filled perogies, but they carry other varieties. Just to give you some ideas:

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/products/products.aspx

Recipe ideas:

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/recipes/recipes.aspx
Thanks! I like potatoes but I don't eat them often because of weight gain. I avoid all the 'whites' and I had quite enough of them through the holidays. I told him after today that I was back to my healthy ways and if I'm going to be bad, I'm going to be real bad. That means butter and tons of sour cream but thank goodness, I've talked him out of the bacon. I hurt my back, took some pain pills and ugh. He has total control of the kitchen now.

Thanks! I like potatoes but I don't eat them often because of weight gain. I avoid all the 'whites' and I had quite enough of them through the holidays. I told him after today that I was back to my healthy ways and if I'm going to be bad, I'm going to be real bad. That means butter and tons of sour cream but thank goodness, I've talked him out of the bacon. I hurt my back, took some pain pills and ugh. He has total control of the kitchen now.

I hope your back gets better soon, Bells. Pierogies are fattening, & usually served w/ melted butter & fried or caramelized onions & sour cream. Not to mention, encased w/ dough, but they are a real treat - once in awhile. Wasn't sure if you wanted a made-from-scratch recipe - which I do have - in large quantities, & also made using wonton wrappers.

As far as serving ideas - I serve as a side in place of potatoes w/ roasted brussels sprouts, boil in soup (I like French onion), in a salad (though I much prefer pierogies hot), as an appetizer - dipped in egg & breadcrumbs & fried or baked like fried/toasted ravioli.

If the potato filling is too "heavy" you might try Pelmeni - filled w/ meat or mushrooms, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelmeni

Wanted to add - dumplings have so many different names & ingredients around the world. My grandmother (who did the cooking) was from Hungary & grandfather from Poland. She would never eat or serve pork, or mix dairy with meat. She had two separate sets of dishes. Guess it depends on where you're from & customs. I gave you some broad generalized serving ideas, but you can adapt them to what fits your ethnic menu.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

fry onions...fry bacon....boil pierogies...fry pierogies in bacon and onion mixture...top with lots of fresh cracked black pepper and sour cream...butter is always good in somewhere here..lol

little known technique...pierogies are good deep fried as well... served with the same ingredients.

Bells

So much thanks for the tips and advice. I'm really looking forward to them now. Because of my back and desire to preserve my kitchen today, we decided to cheat and bought frozen. He got cheese filled and bacon filled. We are going to fry them in butter with onions and a red bell pepper. We'll have them with sour cream, green onions and green peas on the side.

Gee, some sausages on the side sounds great!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

sausage is always good with Pierogies.... very very good..now i want pierogies.lol
So much thanks for the tips and advice. I'm really looking forward to them now. Because of my back and desire to preserve my kitchen today, we decided to cheat and bought frozen. He got cheese filled and bacon filled. We are going to fry them in butter with onions and a red bell pepper. We'll have them with sour cream, green onions and green peas on the side.

Gee, some sausages on the side sounds great!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

BACON-FILLED pierogi?????? OMG! That has to be the world's BEST food!!!

LOL!

Enjoy, Bells! Give us a report on how you and DH liked them!

Lee

My husband isn't a cabbage lover, but my favorite pierogi filling is sauteed cabbage &/or sauerkraut. Millie's sometimes offers a sauerkraut & kielbasa filling. Delicious!!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

i like them all! bells, my whole life we would boil, then fry w/ caramelized onion & butter galore.
not until recently have i gotten them w/ sour cream, deed-fried. i didn't much care for the way they were cooked, though i loved them w/ the sour cream! i have an Aunt that makes them, & she used to make a lasagna-like casserole of pierogi ingredients. usually i buy them. only made them once from scratch once.

Here's a very interesting Rachael Ray recipe that I'm planning to try soon. It almost looks semi-healthy - lol!!:

My Version of My Friend Jon's Polish Stir-Fry and Pierogis Pot Stickers with Herbs and Sour Cream
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
User Rating:

3 tablespoons softened butter
1 package frozen pierogis, potato filled dumplings -- any brand or variety
1 1/2 pounds kielbasa, cut in large slices on an angle
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 tablespoon butter
1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
1 1/2 pounds kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1 pound sauerkraut, drained
1 teaspoon ground mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill leaves
2 tablespoons chopped chives
A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
1 cup sour cream

Cover the bottom of a skillet with softened butter. Arrange pierogis in the pan in a single layer. Add 1 cup water to the pan. Cover pan and place over medium high heat. Cook covered 8 minutes, remove lid and cook out any liquid in the pot.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Brown kielbasa and remove from pan. Cover kielbasa with foil to keep warm. Drain fat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Raise heat to high. Add onion to the pan and saute for a few minutes to soften. Add chopped kale in batches as it wilts into the pan. When kale is wilted, add sauerkraut. Season stir-fry with mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Return kielbasa to pan. Toss to combine and transfer to a serving platter.
Let the pierogis "stick" and brown in the butter as the liquid evaporates. Remove crisp pierogis from heat to a plate.
Stir together the chopped herbs and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pierogis.

Wine Recomendation: Recommended beverage: icy cold beer in frosted glass or beer mug

Bells

They were absolutely delicious! I'll be having them again. Thanks for all the help.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

well, great! you found them to be delicious. good fer you!~

CharlieD

Kreplach/Vareniki/Pierogy:

1. Margarine – 1 stick
2. Hot water, almost boiling – 2 cups
3. All-purpose flour – 4 cups, plus some for rolling out.
4. Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon or so.
Put margarine into hot water, mix till dissolves. Add salt. Slowly add flour mixing constantly until all flour comes together. Need for a minute. Pinch a ball about a baseball size, cover the rest with the towel, roll out thin, cut out circles the size you like. Put the filling you like in the middle, pinch to make it into a half moon. Boil in a large pot with plenty of lightly salted water until the kreplach’ aka vareniki are swimming to the top, let it boil for about 3-5 minutes. Really depends on the filling and the thickness of the dough. You can take one out and cut into it. Done.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My Polish family always made these the day after Thanksgiving .... FIVE of us ... and we froze them for Christmas Eve.

After my great aunts and grandmother died, my mother, my aunt and I made them.

Then, my brother and I.

Now that I'm the only one left, I made them myself for the first time. Made the fillings yesterday, did the rest today. It is labor-intensive and time consuming.

I only made 10 cabbage and 16 cheese, but I am proud of myself!

And I bet homecook (Barb), and my family would be proud of me, too! :bounce:

I took more photos this time.

All in four frozen packages now.

Lee

Cubes of fried out salt pork

Pierogi 1 - fried out salt pork.JPG

Rendered pork fat (to sauté onions)

Pierogi 2 - solidified pork fat.JPG

Farmer's cheese
Pierogi 3 - Farmer's Cheese.JPG

Cheese, salt pork cubes, carmelized onions

Pierogi 4 - cheese, salt pork, carmelized oions.JPG

Cheese mixture

Pierogi 5 - mixed cheese.JPG

Saurkraut, rehydrated mushrooms, carmelized onions

Pierogi 6 - saurkraut, mushrooms, onions.JPG

Balls of filling

Pierogi 7 - filling balls.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pierogi lightly boiled, draining, ready to be packaged for freezing.
Pierogi 8 - boiled and drained.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you butter them before freezing?

Hi Charlie! Long time, no see!

No, I let them dry out a bit on the racks, and wrap wax paper around 6 or so at a time. Then, this time, I Foodsaved each pack.

When I thaw them, I brown them in melted butter and top them with diced fried out salt pork.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have never had a pierogi in my life, that I can remember anyway. I don't think that I'd like the potato ones much, but yours sure look good. At first I thought those chopped mushrooms were chopped raisins, and I almost wrinkled my nose :smile:.

I've been wanting to make some tamales which are also very labor intensive. So far I haven't talked myself into it.

CharlieD

Hi Charlie! Long time, no see!

No, I let them dry out a bit on the racks, and wrap wax paper around 6 or so at a time. Then, this time, I Foodsaved each pack.

When I thaw them, I brown them in melted butter and top them with diced fried out salt pork.

Lee

Yeah, I know. Once in awhile an old thread gets revived and I get a notification, then I may say something, otherwise I'm missing in action. Life got too busy.

I usually freeze mine uncooked. Though I have been told that it is better to cook them them butter and then freeze. I suspect that people do what their parents and grand parents did. Uncooked works for me.