Looking for a Dessert....

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
One of the visitors to my website wrote me and was asking about an old dessert that her Mama used to make. I'm thinking that it is probably something along the lines of a lemon ice box pie made with fruit cocktail. I was hoping maybe one of you folks might know what she is talking about. Here's her question:

My Mom made a dessert that was so great. You made it in the old fashion metal ice trays with the dividers removed. It had fruit cocktail and gram cracker bottom and some thing else, but that is the part I don't know, maybe it was cream cheese or something, and it was frozen and served frozen..
It sure was good and I would love to make it.. I grew up in South Carolina,
and you know that makes me G.R.I.T.S. (girls raised in the South)

Any ideas???????

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

Bells

Maybe like this?

FROZEN DESSERT SALAD

1 (1 lb.) can fruit cocktail
1 tbsp. lemon juice
16 lg. marshmallows, quartered
2/3 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. drained maraschino cherries
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 1/3 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c. melted butter

Drain fruit cocktail, save 1/4 cup syrup. Add this to lemon juice and marshmallows; let stand until marshmallows soften. Mash cream cheese and beat in mayonnaise; blend. Add marshmallow mixture and then fold in whipped cream. Add drained fruit and cherries. Line 2 ice cube trays or meat loaf pans with waxed paper. Mix crumbs, sugar and butter together until crumbly. Press 1/3 into bottom of each tray. Pour salad onto tops. Sprinkle with balance of crumbs. Cover and freeze 1/2 hour before serving.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That sure sounds like it may be what she's looking for! Thanks Bells!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I just built the page on my website and gave y'all a shoutout for the help! Thanks again! Here's the page: Frozen Fruit Salad

Last edited:

Bells

That sure sounds like it may be what she's looking for! Thanks Bells!
You are very welcome but you can thank my grandmother. When I read your post, it rang bells with me. My grandmother was always trying new recipes and this was something she made on hot summer days.