so who is planning what this year?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Hey joec..........I'll ship you some of my tomatoes if you'll ship me your cherry tomatoes. I love cherry tomatoes, I put in 4 plants every year. I end up eating half of them while I'm working out in the garden. I also plant early girl, celebrity, Big Boys, and beefsteak. I usually get quite a crop. The only problem is you'll have to wait til mid-July early August for the crop to come in. lol
Barb

i love cherry tomatoes as well... i use to grow them in 5gallon buckets..added some basil and marigolds in the same bucket..kept the bugs away that i didnt want and attracted the ones i did..

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh I know why or at least suspect why. The last few years unlike the first year we didn't start getting cold weather till around the end of November however the last 4 years snow down on Oct 31st followed but a week or two of warm weather then cold again. Even our landscape plants have suffered including the trees here.

buckytom

Grill Master
if'n yous guys like cherry tomatoes, try some grape tomatoes. they're smaller, with more concentrated flavor and sweetness.

has anyone tried yellow pear tomatoes? they make a colorful presentation served fresh in dishes, and are good for people who can't have the acidity. i think i'll grow them again this year.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We get grape tomatoes here all the time but I don't grow them myself. I've been told they will take over like a weed also. We get them cheap enough though at the farmers market and my wife buys more than we can eat usually.

homecook

if'n yous guys like cherry tomatoes, try some grape tomatoes. they're smaller, with more concentrated flavor and sweetness.

has anyone tried yellow pear tomatoes? they make a colorful presentation served fresh in dishes, and are good for people who can't have the acidity. i think i'll grow them again this year.

A couple years ago I planted what I thought were cherry tomatoes and apparently they were mis-labeled at the nursery where I got them and ended up being grape tomatoes. They have been coming up every year now. I really prefer the cherry tomatoes......I like when they "pop" in your mouth!

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
ronjohn said your hubby is a lucky guy.

umm, pay no attention to him.

i know what you mean, about the pop, but if you tasted my grapes then you'd understand.

down, ronjohn. down!! :twak:

homecook

ronjohn said your hubby is a lucky guy.

umm, pay no attention to him.

i know what you mean, about the pop, but if you tasted my grapes then you'd understand.

down, ronjohn. down!! :twak:

Do I even dare touch that??? :bangin::noevil:And my hubby knows it!!!!

Barb

AllenOK

We don't have a problem growing tomatoes. We have a problem harvesting them. One of the older boys will go out, pick a just-ripe tomato, and down the thing right then and there. We rarely get vine-ripened tomatoes because of him.

My mother used to say "Every little kid loves cherry tomatoes." I proved her wrong. I do not like raw tomatoes. Never have. Cooked into sauce is OK, just not raw. I can grow cherry tomatoes like there's no problem.

I might try to grow some grape or yellow teardrops, just to see if PeppA will use them at home.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

The sweeter the tomato the better, I will see if I can get DW to cut back on one cherry tomato plant and do a grape tomato plant.

babe

'
love the pear shaped yellow ones. the grape ones might be good for me, since only me and can't eat a whole larger tomato. they don't last well when cut and saved. i ordered on line two upside down tomato planters. gonna give em a try. and other things in pots. as i said, just me, don't need a big garden to care for. the soil here is so depleted, that to amend it would cost a fortune.

babe:bounce:

PanchoHambre

YAY the garden centers are stocked again!

Its about time to get planting and with my newly fenced "backyard" I am excited to get started... this weekend is nasty so I have just been browsing for ideas.

This year the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and herbs will be bought as seedlings as starting from seed is too much of a PITA for me

I picked up some seeds for squash, cukes, and various beans

I am looking for a grape vine to grow up my fence and maybe a lilac

cant wait for planting time

Mr. Green Jeans

Fava beans (chicken livers and fine chianti later), elephant ( I'm a man not a stinking member of the lily family!) garlic, beets, chard, carrots, peas, leeks, several varieties of heirloom tomatoes, peppers hot and sweet, tomatillos, sweet corn, summer and winter squash, finger potatoes and I'm out of garden space.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Joe, what did that window cost and where did you get it? If you don't mind. I've been thinking about getting one or even making one.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, HC I just missed this post. The garden windows was part of a remodel repair for the whole apartment except the kitchen. We replaced every window in the building at that time with all custom made. I really don't know who the maker was, but someone my contractor swore by. The single garden windows was $750 to build. I spent another $300 for the bi folds from Lowe's which were also custom made to fit.

babe

i planted, two kinds of squash, onions, beans,eggplant, lettuce(several kinds,some plants and some seeds. they have all sprouted. i planted plants for tomatos , two kinds, garlic,and basil. all doing well did lose one tomato plant. and in upside down container have one that is not doing well. everything in pots . i can hardly wait to eat something. lol

PanchoHambre

well the sunny warm day got the better of me... planted a grape vine and a kiwi.. who know what will live I like planting better than gardening. Also bought a bunch of seeds some beans and squash... and I just had to try "woodermelons" again.... against my better judgment bought some seed starting stuff too couldn't help it. Have some flower seeds as well. Tomato, peppers, eggplant and herbs I will buy seedlings though.

had to resist sowing seeds today as it was so nice out but we are not out of frost danger yet.... had some seriously stunted plants last year from starting too early.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
My usual- tomato plants and herbs.
My BIL always has a massive vegetable garden across the street, I am free to snatch whatever I want as it's ready LOL

Mr. Green Jeans

A gardening buddy gave me some heirloom spuds this past week and I planted them today using the flake of hay method <in my case grass straw>. The varieties are Austrian Crescent a golden fleshed finger type and Red Thumb a Mini Me version of Pontiac but with red flesh. Wonder how those would be in Sass' guacamole potato salad?

Y

YT2095

I`m looking forwards to planting out my tobacco seedlings, as soon as I know there`s no chance of any frost, so it`ll probably be early May.

suziquzie

I put in a few pansys this weekend, just becasue I can't wait and my yard needs some color besides brown.....

The leaf lettuce, spinach, carrots and peas went in last week....
Never got to start my seeds and now it's too late, so I'll have to buy all my plants this year. :(

Most likely, but not limited to...

Tomato
grape tomato
assorted peppers, sweet and hot
eggplant
herbs o rama!

then I have seeds I can start in ground,
beans
corn
squash
zucchini

suziquzie

We don't have a problem growing tomatoes. We have a problem harvesting them. One of the older boys will go out, pick a just-ripe tomato, and down the thing right then and there. We rarely get vine-ripened tomatoes because of him.

My mother used to say "Every little kid loves cherry tomatoes." I proved her wrong. I do not like raw tomatoes. Never have. Cooked into sauce is OK, just not raw. I can grow cherry tomatoes like there's no problem.

I might try to grow some grape or yellow teardrops, just to see if PeppA will use them at home.

I have the same "critter" problem here! :whistle:
This is a few years ago but it still goes on EVERY year!

DH won't eat raw tomatoes either. Sauce is fine. even with chunks!

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 149

buckytom

Grill Master
ok, so i have about 2/3rds of my veggie garden planted so far.

i have 24 tomatoes (8 roma, 4 early girl, 4 big boy, 4 grape, 4 yellow cherry); peppers (8 cubanelle, 4 green bell, 4 jalapeno, 4 habanero, 4 cayenne); a row of radishes; a row of turnips; a row of carrots; a few rows of lettuces (arrugula, romaine, simpson); wild ramps; african stripe sunflowers; and a coupla snap pea plants.

herbs are italian parsley and garlic chives, along with the perennial rosemary, sage, thyme, mint, and horseradish.

i still have to plant english cukes, zucchini, sweet peas, sweet basil, dill, and more green peppers. they are all started, but i need time to clear rows for them. hopefully tomorrow.

and my raspberries look like it's gonna be a good year. pics to follow.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We have tomatoes, sprouting broccoli, cauliflower, celeriac, brussel sprouts, broad beans, French beans, mange tout, peas, courgettes, carrots and butternut squash planted.

GotGarlic

We have, I believe 6 or 8 types of tomatoes, including 4 heirloom varieties; green beans; tomatillos; serrano, poblano and bell peppers; yellow onions; garlic; arugula and romaine on their last legs; and tons of herbs - sweet basil, parsley, lemon thyme, French thyme, cilantro, sage, rosemary, lemongrass, sweet bay, Greek oregano, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. We are going to trade a friend tomatoes for eggplant.