Bravo's Top Chef

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you ever seen Top Chef on Bravo? they showed a marathon of them today and it was background noise to our grandbaby wandering about. What pressure they put on those chefs. Unreal. Most of the time they come through but when they don't hit it just right the fireworks start.

What do you think of the series?
When is it normally on?

KKsMom

Blond Member
I love the series. Personally, I think it is better than Hell's Kitchen- I think the chef's are much more talented. But you are right, they get put through a lot!!

It is on Wednesday evenings at 10 I think... I will have to double check. We always tivo it and watch it on Thursday :D

smoke king

Banned
I've been a faithful TC watcher since its inception. I agree, the pressure has to be phenomanal.

So who are you pulling for this year? I have to say, I love the "euro-twins". I think Stefan is the one to beat, and frankly, I like his arrogance-if you got it, flaunt it! I think its interesting that "Ken & Barbie" (aka Hosea and Leah) were complaining when he ended up on their team for restaraunt wars, but neither said a word when he single-handedly pulled their sorry asses from the fire!!

And I get a kick out of Fabio ("We could serve Monkey butt in an empty clam shell and we'll still win") what a great "front-of-the-house" guy!

GhettoRacingKid

Ive loved it since season 2. I missed season one except for the last 3 episodes whcih got me hooked.

I have not favorite this year. I do liek the lesbian blonde chic. I think she is kidna cute and loveable but as far as her skill I dont know they all seem pretty even unlike last year. but richard choked last year. It was his to win.

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm with Blondie about Hell's Kitchen. I've only caught Top Chef maybe 6-8 times and liked it. Those contestants have some skills. The new show Chopped on FN seems to have some skilled chefs, too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Top Chef's plays this season starting at 2 PM every Wednesday with the latest show at 10 PM.

Calicolady

I watched every season, except this one I only saw the 1st 2 episodes. They had a woman from Montclair, NJ, who owned a restaurant, which was my old stomping grounds so I wanted to keep up with it. One thing ran into another and I was not able to get back to it.
I don't even compare this series with Hell's Kitchen. Apples and oranges to me.
I enjoy Hell's Kitchen, especially when they did the north east U.S. When you know these areas of the country, you tend to make a better connection with the show, I think.

In my area Hell's Kitchen is on 9pm, thursdays, on FOX
network. But sometimes it's pre-empted by this winter's holidays, election B.S., award ceremonies-blah,blah,blah, so I can't always count on date and time.

Top chef is on Bravo. But so many reruns play of former episodes, I don't know the correct pm time for new ones.

Calicolady

SK, just looked. Yup. It's on tonight here also.
From 5pm to midnight. I guess the new episode is 10pm.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

smoke king

Banned
Tonite its supposed to be "All-Stars"(?) from past seasons vs this years bunch in some sort of "Super Bowl" showdown.

I know, I know....I really need to get a life........

CharlieD

I missed one when Ariana got kicked out and the last one I only strated to watch it half way in, so I missed all the juicy stuff about Leah and what's his name, I don't know how to spell it.

smoke king

Banned
Yeah Charlie-i saw that one, and I still can't believe Ariane got the boot. Only thing I can think of is that the producers wanted to play up the Leah n' Hosea thing a little longer. So much for credibility.

Calicolady

I missed one when Ariana got kicked out and the last one I only strated to watch it half way in, so I missed all the juicy stuff about Leah and what's his name, I don't know how to spell it.

Look who just walked in the door!
Hey, get this guy a be a, he ya!

You need to do an intro thread. The more the merrier!

CharlieD

Oh, please there is no credibility. Just look at Padma. What does she have prety face and great legs. Doesn't make her food expert in my book. She has as much credibility as you or me. Plus the fact that she grew up vegetarian and still prefers it tells me that her food view is lump sided (is it right expreccion? I always mix them up).
It's nothing but a publicity stunt, though I have to say there are some good chefs there.

lilylove

I love it!!! Or loved it...since we don't get Bravo any more...sigh.

Hell's Kitchen... I like but I can't always watch Ramsey...he's too mean.

Calicolady

lump sided = lopsided LOL! We'll call you Ziva!
But I agree. Any judge who has a preference, and isn't that all of us, can't be totally un-biased.

Wart

Banned
Just look at Padma. What does she have prety face and great legs. .... the fact that she grew up vegetarian and still prefers it ...

A bit OT,

Is she in the PETA commercial that won't be shown during the Super Bowl?

Sorry, an attempt at humor , you got me curious, guess I'll watch Top Chef next time it's on.

PanchoHambre

Top Chef was fun.. at first.

the first two seasons I watched religiously it was fun... like most reality shows though it burned out fast for me.

Don't have cable anymore anyway... that's why I'm here... free LOL

CharlieD

lump sided = lopsided LOL! We'll call you Ziva!
But I agree. Any judge who has a preference, and isn't that all of us, can't be totally un-biased.

Thank you, most of the time my spelling is so bad, "word" can't fix it, and I have no clue. Shows that i never learn English in school.

Jeff G.

It's my favorite cooking show.
This Wed. (Feb 4th) was TOUGH... with Eric Ripert as the guest judge.. wow.. talk about pressure...

smoke king

Banned
It's my favorite cooking show.
This Wed. (Feb 4th) was TOUGH... with Eric Ripert as the guest judge.. wow.. talk about pressure...

Yeah, I have to agree Jeff. The pressure to cook for someone like Ripert must be unbelievable. One thing I noticed about him is that he treats the contestants in a nice way when commenting on dishes that obviously miss the mark. Maybe that doesn't make for good television, but IMHO its nice to see a chef of his caliber treating people with respect.

So what about the final? Who are you liking? I've been rooting for the euros from the outset, and Stefan seems to posses the skillset to win it, but I've been wrong every year so far, so I imagine this year will be no different!

Ya gotta love Fabio for the fan favorite-that guy cracks me up!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I agree the pressure is phenomenal, and there is some bias to the judges which in the end will throw things off.
Also, I wonder if even the original Iron Chefs for the American series when thru this much to be Iron Chefs.
Personally I think the contestants for the next Iron Chef went thru more than the originals did.
I think it keeps people tuned in.... who's going to crack under the pressure??

:drama:

Jeff G.

Yeah, I have to agree Jeff. The pressure to cook for someone like Ripert must be unbelievable. One thing I noticed about him is that he treats the contestants in a nice way when commenting on dishes that obviously miss the mark. Maybe that doesn't make for good television, but IMHO its nice to see a chef of his caliber treating people with respect.

So what about the final? Who are you liking? I've been rooting for the euros from the outset, and Stefan seems to posses the skillset to win it, but I've been wrong every year so far, so I imagine this year will be no different!

Ya gotta love Fabio for the fan favorite-that guy cracks me up!

Tell you what.. i would love to see Fabio take it. Great attitude, seems to have a real understanding of flavor.

Stefan is well trained, but I think it talent is narrow.
I am shocked Carla is still there.. Hosea.. don't know if can hold it together to the final. His leaning post is gone now.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've never seen this show..... and what actually constitues an IRON CHEF anyhow?? Aren't we all Iron Chef's??? lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You can catch Top Chef tonight on Bravo or right now for the previous shows. 10 PM will be the lastest show with everything before it the previous ones this season.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Did anyone watch tonight? I was shocked they sent Fabio home, although I actually like Carla. I think what she may lack in bravado, she must make up for in skill. Her food looked amazing tonight.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I took some sinus meds last night and crashed before it came on. I'll catch this one next Wednesday night as they always replay them.

Last edited: