My Garden

Saliha

Some pictures from my veggie/herb/flower garden.

Birches have small leaves at the back yard:

1m5q9zjh6810.jpg

Greek marjoram:

fx8ixm9vkcv1.jpg

Buds of bleeding heart:

n1j3oa71e2zp.jpg

The first viola:

ihb40z9cppnb.jpg

Tulip - soon open:

edkvye3u3ogf.jpg

Beside of it wild strawberries.

Mint has escaped from its bed:

0p2nx49l8bwy.jpg

A tiny gooseberry:

m02300erulgs.jpg

Lupin:

66we7c0a9gkz.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It looks like a lovely, magical place, Saliha - beautiful photos!

Lee

Saliha

Thanks Lee. As the spring, in my garden haven´t very much flowers etc. yet. But later... :smile: more pics then.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saliha has inspired me to post some photos of my Spring garden.

As many of you know, almost all of my stuff is grown in containers, since I have only about an inch of top soil (our townhouses were built on a ledge).

Beautiful time of year!

More later from me, too!

Lee

Azalea
Azalea.JPG

Columbine with St. Francis

Columbine and St. Francis.JPG

Columbine with hummingbirds

Columbine and hummingbirds.JPG

Dahlia

Dahlia.JPG

Hibiscus

Hibiscus.JPG

Mint

Mint.JPG

Petunias

Petunias.JPG

Attachments

• Petunias.JPG
    Petunias.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,365

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My mom loved bleeding hearts.

She also had 3 varieties of mint. They would grow out of control and that was fine because the outside cats loved to sleep in the mint. LOL There was plenty for everyone. She would put sugar and mint leaves in fresh brewed tea.

My Iris' are blooming (will try to get a pic later).

Saliha

I have a lot of wild strawberries in my garden:

j55767sr4u88.jpg

0opvxccdjt6s.jpg

Only problem, it grows so difficult places, between the concrete slabs where we should walk...

Flowers of the bleeding heart are now open:

408aiw37al66.jpg

avytrfspqqvy.jpg

(On the right is Aconitum, traditional perennial flower in the Finnish gardens. It will blossom at June/July.)

b0alax1dgm1j.jpg

(Behind lily and day lily.)

Chives grow well:

b37wyv4audy1.jpg

Gooseberry has buds and flowers:

hvrjg612gh0i.jpg

My grandfather planted gooseberry bushes in the garden almost 40 years ago but during the years other bushes took almost all their places and almost all of them died. Last year I found last ones and at this spring I moved them to the new place. Seems that still 3 little bushes are alive. I got my interest for gardening from my grandfather; when I was a little girl, he teached me how to take care of plants and inspired me to try new flowers and veggies. I could say that I inherited my green thumb from him.

He passed away 25 years ago but still I remember his teachings when I work now in my own garden. :flowers:

Saliha

My garden has got new inhabitant, pied flycatcher. I flies on my garden, sits in the fences and bushes and chase away out every other birds.

25bempt0y534.jpg

Picture is not good as it doesn´t come near of me.

I think it is planning to build its nest to somewhere near and thinks that my garden is now part of its territory. Hopely it accepts me to stay there...

One of its favourite places is the maple. Its now flowering and the first leaves are growing:

yjznu2lb6gej.jpg

Because of its flowers, my garden is now full of the fragrance of honey.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I, too, take after my grandfather, the gardener. And my Aunt Stella, both of whom had green thumbs and were wonderful gardeners.

I now wish I had listened to them more closely when they were alive!

Have you named your little bird-friend, Saliha?

Lee

Saliha

Its kind of Keeper (keep others away from its own yard). At the evening I saw that there was some kind of love affair between it and some female bird.

I mean romance :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

:blush:

Leni

My Dad taught me how to garden.

Qsis do you have any extra seeds for the Fleur Pepper? I didn't grow them last year and I'm not certain that the year before seeds are viable.

Saliha

Forget me not - I love the name of this flower.

02urcmi5o16e.jpg

I have a lot of these flowers in my garden. Story of them is a little :oops:

About 40 years ago I brought some of those from the summer cottage field and when they went dry I throw them to the back yard compost. They seeded to there and now my whole garden is full of them every spring.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Qsis do you have any extra seeds for the Fleur Pepper?

Oh, Leni, I don't know! I wasn't going to grow them this year, since they took so long.

I will root around and see if I can find some!

Lee

P.S. Saliha, I love Forget-Me-Nots, too! I will plant a pot of those this year, for my brother and mother. The most spectacular shade of blue!

Saliha

Wild strawberries grow fast.

z30knkm1zmlt.jpg

They are flowering too.

hlc35dgjc9bk.jpg

One bleeding heart escaped from my garden and moved near of the forest to the back yard.

c5ory3tvcfeh.jpg

Near of it the lily of the valleys are flowering soon (what a fragrance in everywhere when they start to flower as here are hundreds of thousands of them!!!).

pyi4eju477r0.jpg

The forest is now full green.

s50nqr62ujnd.jpg

Saliha

Now they are open in my garden, the lily of the valleys.

bynhr9fmldcz.jpg

:smile: Beautiful name by the way. Does anyone know where it has got its name?

Saliha

I found few legends of the lily the valley:

The flower is also known as Our Lady's tears or Mary's tears from Christian legends that it sprang from the weeping of the Virgin Mary during the crucifixion of Jesus. Other etiologies have its coming into being from Eve's tears after she was driven with Adam from the Garden of Eden or from the blood shed by Saint Leonard of Noblac during his battles with a dragon.

Also one tells about romance between lily of the valley and nightingale.

In the Victorian “language of flowers” the lily of the valley signifies a return to happiness. Legend tells that the first lily of the valley loved a nightingale. Every night the nightingale would come to the garden to sing. Being shy, the lily of the valley hid herself from him, and the bird grew lonely and left the garden. Waiting for him in vain, the lily of the valley became sad and stopped blooming. She bloomed again only when the nightingale returned in May, restoring her happiness.

Any ways, nice name, nice flowers and what a wonderfull fragrance it has. :wub:

Saliha

Hot chilies and ginger on the garden stairs - its the most sunny part.

rqcnork6u7ux.jpg

Shark fin melon has found its supporter. Shark fin melon is Thai squash. Its fruit looks as watermelon.

964y7embrg8n.jpg

Tomatos in the compost frame got their supporters. These are money maker tomatos.

2d4iponqg4es.jpg

Other tomatos too. Money makers, cherry and 100s&1000´s tomatos.

qwcg0a19jqct.jpg

Last edited:

Saliha

The first rose is open:

ls1pn2z8yyvr.jpg

74rssvg2d1e6.jpg

We call these as the mid summer roses as they usually open their flowers at the mid summer feast time - what is actually just right now. Good timing.

:thumb:

Saliha

pqckroh.jpg

All my tiny garden smells for peppermint, specially at the warm evenings. Its sometimes like being in the candy shop.

Saliha

Wild flowers in my garden - Campanula patula or spreading bellflower (we call its as the bell of magpie):

sayuwbndu45z.jpg

I let the chamomile seeds to spread all over my garden at the last year, these grow with the lettuces:

vld0hpmezo4u.jpg

I have read that chamomile is one of those plants which by its strong frangrance deport pests. True or not but no pests in the lettuces at this year. ;)

Kale:

ga1pine8nmx2.jpg

Yummy in salads.

One of my special herbs - chili oregano:

wpgv8qub66ye.jpg

Lavender. Not sure if it will flower at this year. I might have to keep it indoors at the next winter. Lavender doesn´t usually survive our winter.

mfhrpfnlnb4o.jpg

As I had a bird feeder in my garden at the winter, birds didn´t eat all seeds. Some random sunflowers are growing in my garden.

7nchpva5zjvh.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lovely fairy-land you have there, Saliha!

Here are a couple I just took.

Lee

This is about half of my garden

Half my garden.JPG

Got a new birdbath for my birthday!

New bird bath.JPG

Saliha

Nice flowers, Lee.

A bee in the flower of chives:
vco07ab6o65v.jpg

Roses:
dmuo826pky1s.jpg

1gr9k96eve33.jpg

8vpg8kf3sul7.jpg

Time of daisies:
am7s2qk7dmrb.jpg

Beside of the front door is a box of violets to welcome the visitors:
8as7feq5m5my.jpg

Saliha

Also this kind of "fluffy head" lives in my garden...

MoObqgT.jpg

(Anise hyssop starts to flower soon.)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All pretty!

Daisies are among my top favorite flowers!

Lee

Saliha

I too love daisies. When I was a kid we made the flower wreaths by them and some other wild flowers.

White foxclove:

aRbMb65.jpg

Pink ones are open too:

qbOsZt5.jpg

Dianthus barbatus:

SsIX2gK.jpg

Chamomile for the evening teas:

awNLorC.jpg

Shark fin melons are flowering. They are smaller than they should to be but its because cold period at the June. Well, they are still alive.

dF0q7lT.jpg

Squash also flowers:

r8Qa9Tk.jpg

I bought 3 squash seedlings:

lvdkwoS.jpg

That one is in the frame, others with shark fin melons in the compost bed.