3 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups Chicken broth
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey
1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained

In a large skillet heat the butter over medium high heat until foamy. Add the mushrooms and green peppers. Saute over until the green peppers are tender crisp.

Add the flour. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes to cook out the "flour" taste.

Stir in the chicken broth and milk. Mix well. Continue stirring and cook until thick and bubbly. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well. Stir in the cooked chicken and pimento. Mix well.

Serve over rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, biscuits or toast.

**Note: If you don't have or don't care for pimentos, you can always use a small red bell pepper. Just saute it right along with the green peppers.​

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Ray! I hadn't had it since I was a kid...until recently that is. My Mama used to make it with egg noodles but I decided to try it with rice. It was really good but I think next time I'll make it over mashed potatoes.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I usually do mine with rice. I did make a batch for a church meal and served it over baked potatoes - that was really good.

My husband loves Chicken (or Turkey) Ala King, but I usually add more vegetables (peas, carrots, sometimes broccoli &/or corn, etc.). And he insists (lol!) that it be served over those Pepperidge Farm puff pastry "patty shells". It's one of his favorite post-Thanksgiving leftover turkey meals.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Chicken-Ala-King.jpg

1/2 cup butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups Chicken broth
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey
1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained

In a large skillet heat the butter over medium high heat until foamy. Add the mushrooms and green peppers. Saute over until the green peppers are tender crisp.

Add the flour. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes to cook out the "flour" taste.

Stir in the chicken broth and milk. Mix well. Continue stirring and cook until thick and bubbly. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well. Stir in the cooked chicken and pimento. Mix well.

Serve over rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, biscuits or toast.

**Note: If you don't have or don't care for pimentos, you can always use a small red bell pepper. Just saute it right along with the green peppers.​

I've heard so much about chicken ala king but have never had it. :( That looks so good i'm gonna have to try it sometime. :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we used to luv this when served for school lunch, though w/ biscuits. (turkey/biscuits, some days). i have some chix that has to be used. w/ a cornstarch slurry as opposed to a flour thickener, & a starch i'm allowed, i could make this- geez, i'd have a bowl of ala king plain!

mhend

Mama, I think this is going to be dinner tonight. I haven't had lunch yet and that looks delicious. I should know better than to log on here before I've eaten! :lol:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks everyone! Mary, I hope you like it. I'd love to see your pics if you decide to make it.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama, that used to be one of my favorites as a kid...my mom served it on toast. I will copy and save your recipe - I think Jerry would like it best on noodles, but I'll give him some options. Looks delicious - thanks for reminding me of an old favorite.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You're welcome Karen! One of my facebook fans asked for a recipe for it and I hadn't had it since I was a kid. I dug through my Mama's old recipes looking for it and just had to make it.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That's wonderful - that you still have your Mom's recipes. I don't think my mother ever wrote anything down. My sister and I have puzzled for years over how she made her incredible apple dumplings, and have tried to recreate them with no success.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There's lots of recipes she didn't write down...and then there's the ones that you have to try to figure out what in the world she was talking about :lol:. One of the reasons I started my website was so that my kids would have a record of mine.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Great idea, Mama - all of my recipes are on my computer, but I've been thinking about making a cookbook for my kids for Christmas.

Guts

looks good mama. As usual you really get me salivating with your great-looking meals.

Karen I had to burn a CD for my sister so she quit calling me and asking for recipes. Best thing I ever did. And so easy. You know my mother used to have a WebTV and she would post on discuss cooking which there was a lady named Doreen, which took the recipes and put them on a website called Webecipes I still go there and occasionally run across one of my mother's recipes that I don't have a copy of. Both my mother and Doreen have passed on. But there recipes still live on the net. That's a beautiful thing. don't you think.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow, that is wonderful...how nice to see your Mom's recipes be available for everyone, and to run across them. The internet is really an amazing thing, isn't it?

Guts

Wow, that is wonderful...how nice to see your Mom's recipes be available for everyone, and to run across them. The internet is really an amazing thing, isn't it?

yes it is Karen an amazing thing. Just think some of our favorite recipes that we post here could be around for future generations to read. Now that's food for thought.