How's Your Garden Doing?

Leni

It was 105 yesterday and will be around 108 today in the San Fernando Valley here in Los Angeles. My garden is being fried to a crisp despite daily watering.

Phiddlechik

between the heat and the grasshoppers, it's crap. getting a few tomatoes. small ones. and just a few, like under 10. had to cut everything down, it looked so bad, with just the stems. Grasshoppers stripped a couple of small Russian olive trees bare, and are starting in on a couple of lilacs. worst garden ever.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, it was so hot, so early and for so long ... the heirloom tomato plants I got this year yielded maybe 5 tomatoes each, stunted foliage, and withered early.

The good old Early Girls (tomatoes) are doing well, as are the eggplants, jalapenos, and herbs.

One of my sunflowers (Mammoth variety) is about 8 feet tall but doesn't have a flower head on it. Ever hear of that????

Lee

lilylove

Well.. between too much HOT and too much rain... hubby was able to get two small squishy tomatoes to grow!! :) He's not a happy guy.

His grapes are over grown and over producing though, that's a gooood thing.
Can't wait for them to get ripe. :) And they will if the sun sticks around for awhile.

PanchoHambre

its crap... squash up and died after flourishing nicely tomatoes are a messy falling over jungle but all green. grapes pretty much done... stupid turkish eggplant has tiny and unappealing fruits. basil is determined to bolt, strawberries keep dying and resprouting, only the chilies are doing nicely

leolady

Just a dozen or so green tomatoes out of each vine, they won't ripen. Cucumbers WERE doing well, but not now. Cabbage is coming along, and still getting side shoots of broccoli. Okra and yellow squash are bearing ok, but not lavishly. Corn is stunted and small but the ears are progressing. Herbs, fruit and nut trees and one grapevine are doing fine, and so are my roses.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Bad year for all, eh? I'm off to the farmers market on the town square tomorrow where I shall purchase the crops of "other person's" gardens. Conditions here in Wisconsin must have been better than in most other locations because the crops are plentiful and the sweet corn is the best it has ever been.

Blues Man

I've had an unbelievable garden this year. The weather here in Northern Indiana has been perfect for a good harvest. More green beans, peppers, basil and tomatoes than we know what to do with. We have been giving our FoodSaver a real workout this year.

PanchoHambre

One of my sunflowers (Mammoth variety) is about 8 feet tall but doesn't have a flower head on it. Ever hear of that????

Lee

nope that's crazy... my sunflowers are about the only thing that has been reliable and I do nothing for them they have crap soil and no water.. and are now grown from harvested saved seed so they are random hybrids ... but regardless small or big usually the flower heat forms pretty early on so It seems strange to have none.

The heat/drought/wet has been a bugger here too. Hopefully all those green tomatoes I have now will mature into edible ones. I had so much blossom drop early on.... and my tomatillos have been super vibrant and profusely flowered but I have only one recognizable fruit at the moment.

Leni

It's time to pull everything out and get ready for winter crops. Here in SoCal we can grow year round. Once this current heat wave is over I'll be planting all kinds of winter veggies. Tomorrow it is going to be around 108. It will start to cool off after that. What are you going to plant this fall?

High Cheese

Saucier
My tomatoes and cucumbers produced fairly well considering the heat we had. They just finished there second round and are done. My chiles and Japanese eggplant are still producing.

buckytom

Grill Master
great year for everything here in north jersey except for the eggplants. tomatoes, peppers, cukes, basil, sage, and thyme all did exceedingly well.

the grape tomatoes were so abundant that we just couldn't pick that many to eat or give away. there must be a few hundred rotting on the ground under the overgrown plants.

leolady

I'm getting ready to start pulling stuff out of the garden. The cucumbers are done, so is the greens, squash, and stuff.

Still have some tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, okra, and green peppers.

I am NOT planting anything til spring. I still have daylilies, daffodils, and tulips that need planting.

Ronjohn

Tore the tomato plants out yesterday, but we still have the pepper plants chugging along. It's looking like they'll have to get hit with a frost to shut them down. That's when they'll probably end up getting pulled out.

The downside is my lawn isn't really growing right now, so I don't even have enough lawn clippings to cover the garden beds with right now. (But at least I don't have to mow the lawn as much!)

Mr. Green Jeans

We've had a cool, short summer in western Orygun. Tomatoes are always a challenge and this year it was pathetic. Even our company sweet corn plots were just corn plots. No degree days to put the sweet into corn. But hey, it was free so who's to gripe about that? Squash, green beans and berries did well though. Yin and yang.

Leni

We finally have a break in the heat wave. The marine layer has reached the Valley so it's overcast and only around 70 right now. I'll be planting peas, carrots, lettuce, broccoli and chard tomorrow. I've got to get DH over to the garden to rototil the rest of the garden.