I need a new grill

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: I read your post as: SO I BROKE THE GRILL LAST NIGHT! :eek: :yum:

I read everything else you wrote and didn't see where you broke it. :confused: Finally I read your first sentence as you wrote it. :yum:

Sounds good. What does the searer work on? They look electric but I suppose they run off the propane like the regular burners ....is that correct.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Yeah! I hope mine works just as well. If the weather cooperates, DH will be putting mine together this weekend.

Jarhead

Yeah! I hope mine works just as well. If the weather cooperates, DH will be putting mine together this weekend.

Also a tip to note Mama, there is a sticker on the tank door and also on the left side shelf. Once you peel them off and still have sticker residue use Goo B Gone to clean it up. I first tried end dust which works well on one sticker and on the other one i put a wet towel on. Both left some residue but the final cleanup with Goo B Gone worked beautifully!

Also - this grill is really frickin heavy!! Hope DH has been hitting the gym! My buddy and I were struggling, its a beast!

Jarhead

:yum: I read your post as: SO I BROKE THE GRILL LAST NIGHT! :eek: :yum:

I read everything else you wrote and didn't see where you broke it. :confused: Finally I read your first sentence as you wrote it. :yum:

Sounds good. What does the searer work on? They look electric but I suppose they run off the propane like the regular burners ....is that correct.

Searer is to sear steaks to lock in flavor. I'll probably use it on the thick pork chops I cook and also on any beef steaks I cook. My brother has a 5 year old Jenn Air and loves this feature so that really sold me on an option that I wanted.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Also a tip to note Mama, there is a sticker on the tank door and also on the left side shelf. Once you peel them off and still have sticker residue use Goo B Gone to clean it up. I first tried end dust which works well on one sticker and on the other one i put a wet towel on. Both left some residue but the final cleanup with Goo B Gone worked beautifully!

Also - this grill is really frickin heavy!! Hope DH has been hitting the gym! My buddy and I were struggling, its a beast!

I read on the box where it weighed 150kg. I looked it up and that's 330 lbs!:eek:

Thanks for the Goo B Gone tip. I ordered the Sheila Shine that FM recommended from the hardware store down the street...it should be in today so I'll pick up some Goo B Gone when I pick up the Sheila Shine.

Jarhead

I read on the box where it weighed 150kg. I looked it up and that's 330 lbs!:eek:

Thanks for the Goo B Gone tip. I ordered the Sheila Shine that FM recommended from the hardware store down the street...it should be in today so I'll pick up some Goo B Gone when I pick up the Sheila Shine.

How much is the Sheila Shine locally? Amazon has 1 qt for $10.20 shipped.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's much cheaper. I paid $12.99 for a quart. That was from a mom and pop hardware store. I'm sure I could have found it cheaper but they gave me a good deal on the paint for my kitchen cabinets.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
FINALLY!!!!! We had thunderstorms all day yesterday so we finally had the opportunity to put the grill together this afternoon...after we cleaned up all of the crap from the trees after the storms that is. It only took a little over an hour and DH was quiet the whole time...I may have actually heard some humming...which is very unusual... he normally talks to the people who design the things while he puts them together. :lol: I turned on the searing burner and it was red hot in about a minute. All of the other burners are working great too! I used Goo B Gone to clean all of the sticker residue off (Thanks Jarhead!). I whipped it down with Sheila Shine (Thanks FM! That stuff is great!). I'm going to take the rotisserie out of the box tonight and make sure it works as well. So far so good!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds awesome Mama! Congrats. The searing burner sounds like the bees knees. :thumb: :D

I finally did a little tracking on my grill that I expected to be delivered last week. It was sitting in Groveport Ohio (near Columbus) since Monday April 19th. :eek: Don't know what's up with that. :confused:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay the verdict is in...I used all of the main burners on the grill and I tried out the searing burner today. I have not tried out the rotisserie yet or the crock pot feature (the warming drawer works great) but so far, I LOVE THIS GRILL :clap:!

Attachments

• dinner050510.jpg
    dinner050510.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 167

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Okay the verdict is in...I used all of the main burners on the grill and I tried out the searing burner today. I have not tried out the rotisserie yet or the crock pot feature (the warming drawer works great) but so far, I LOVE THIS GRILL :clap:!

Oh man.....that's beautiful. Brings a tear to me eye! Great job! Got room for one more???? :biggrin:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's another picture that turned out better.

Attachments

• steak050510.jpg
    steak050510.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 167

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that looks GREAT mama! Congrats. I'm glad the new grill worked out for you so well. I'm going to be in Sam's tomorrow. If they don't have one like yours on display I'll ask if they can get one.

My other grill came in and I think it will be perfect for da boat ....now I need one for the house.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin and Doc. I couldn't be happier with it. It has met or exceeded all of my expectations so far. DH is attaching the brackets for the rotisserie now so I may go to the store tomorrow for a whole chicken :w00t2:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin and Doc. I couldn't be happier with it. It has met or exceeded all of my expectations so far. DH is attaching the brackets for the rotisserie now so I may go to the store tomorrow for a whole chicken :w00t2:

Will you brine it?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's a good idea Buzz! I need to read through that thread and find a good brine recipe.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks FM! I think that this grill is going to come in real handy shortly. I plan on tearing my kitchen apart and cleaning, sanding and painting the cabinets and adding new hardware. I have a small galley kitchen so I'm going to paint the cabinets white and put on new brushed nickle hardware. I'm hoping to talk DH into a granite counter top to replace the old 1970's fake butcher block counter top that I have now. It shouldn't cost too much because the kitchen is so small. Then all I'll need is a new SS dishwasher and refrigerator :lol: I'll feed you steak, broccoli, corn and rolls if you'll come help me tile the backslash and floors :w00t:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well....the rotisserie works! I brined the bird using 6 cups of apple juice, 3 tablespoons of kosher salt, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of rosemary, 1 teaspoon of thyme, 1 teaspoon of sage and fresh ground black pepper. After soaking for 3 hours, I removed the bird and dried it off. I coated it in canola oil and sprinkled with Lawry's Perfect Blend Poultry Seasoning and Rub. It said to cook it for 25 to 30 minutes per pound. It was a 5 lb. bird so I checked it at 1 hr. and 45 minutes and it was done. It got a little darker than I wanted but the meat was juicy and tasted very good. The skin was nice and crunchy. Any ideas on what I did that made it so dark?

Oh, by the way...I didn't have any butchers twine so I used unwaxed dental floss...it worked great!

Now all that's left is the slow cooker and the proofing bread....I guess pizza will be next :w00t2:

Attachments

• rotisseriechicken.jpg
    rotisseriechicken.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 165

buckytom

Grill Master
nice job on both, mama! :applause:

btw, your advice about only using the rotisserie burner when i made the eye round roast was spot on. it came out great.

i think i'll be trying your brined bird recipe on it this week. thanks.:chef:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful-looking food, Mama!

The charring of your chicken skin may be due to high heat and/or some sugar in your rub. Looks wonderful to me!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
nice job on both, mama! :applause:

btw, your advice about only using the rotisserie burner when i made the eye round roast was spot on. it came out great.

i think i'll be trying your brined bird recipe on it this week. thanks.:chef:

Thanks everyone!

It's not really my brine recipe BT, I used Allens Recipe but subbed apple juice for the water, garlic powder for the minced garlic and left out the sugar.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks for the link, mama. i've learned lots of great recipes and other stuff from allen.

i think i'll use your measurements (i'm lazy) and cider modification and call it mamallen chicken. :biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been thinking about your rotiss chicken skin, Mama, and went to look back at some of my photos.

I never gave it any thought before, but it now looks to me that the skin on my rotissed poultry is darker, even charred in spots, than when I smoke it.

The rotisserie is on my kettle, and even though it's cooked "indirectly", it's at a might higher temp, and the coals are much closer to the meat.

The smoker coals are several levels below the meat and the temp is lower, for longer - the skin gets a more even, brown color.

I can't say I like one over the other - I love them both ways.

Oh, one more thing: I don't brine poultry. I don't like the texture of the meat at all. The sugar in your brine may be burning as you cook, which will char the skin, too.

The first 2 pix below are of a rotissed whole chicken and a turkey breast. The third pic is of a smoked turkey breast.

Lee

Attachments

• Rotiss chicken.JPG
    Rotiss chicken.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Turkey on rotiss.JPG
    Turkey on rotiss.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Turkey breast, smoked.JPG
    Turkey breast, smoked.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 152

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've been thinking about your rotiss chicken skin, Mama, and went to look back at some of my photos.

I never gave it any thought before, but it now looks to me that the skin on my rotissed poultry is darker, even charred in spots, than when I smoke it.

The rotisserie is on my kettle, and even though it's cooked "indirectly", it's at a might higher temp, and the coals are much closer to the meat.

The smoker coals are several levels below the meat and the temp is lower, for longer - the skin gets a more even, brown color.

I can't say I like one over the other - I love them both ways.

Oh, one more thing: I don't brine poultry. I don't like the texture of the meat at all. The sugar in your brine may be burning as you cook, which will char the skin, too.

The first 2 pix below are of a rotissed whole chicken and a turkey breast. The third pic is of a smoked turkey breast.

Lee

That's what I was thinking...the sugar in the apple juice may be causing it. Thanks Lee!