Garden : What have you picked?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we've been munching on our small potato patch all summer - this is the last
(planted from certified Russet seed potatoes)

Attachments

• spuds2_2009.jpg
    spuds2_2009.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 162

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Picked some of the last things today - season is coming to an end. There were still a few French beans, my courgette plant is still producing, got 3, 3 pumpkins, the last cucumber, some ears of corn which I have blanched and frozen and all the pears off my tree.

Still got Brussels, celeriac, some more corn & leeks and then I'm finished with the allotment. (I will bring over my new gooseberry bushes, strawberry plants and a couple of black currants.

buckytom

Grill Master
courgettes here too. plus some small wax peppers, a few habaneros and gochu peppers left, and a load of grape tomatoes.

and another load of baby carrots.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
except for the leek patch, my garden is enroute to "compost" [g]
they'll take a reasonable frost - not a hard freeze - some straw, could have them a while yet.....

central PA - ducking & weaving the frost warnings . . . .

vyapti

I pulled up my summer garden last winter. I've got brussels sprouts, cabbage, & broccoli and shallots, garlic & onions in the ground for the winter. It's my first attempt at a winter crop, we'll see how it goes.

homecook

I've still got brussel sprouts, broccoli, onions and carrots going. The brussel sprouts are better once the frost hits them.......which will be any day now. lol

Mr. Green Jeans

Still picking Canadice (a seedless variety) grapes and running 10# at a time through the dehydrator. The late pick ones make AWESOME raisins as they have the max sugar content. One just has to pick through the clinkers on the stem. Also getting ready to harvest the heirloom finger spuds planted last April.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Wow, you are all so impressive. Last year I had a container garden and I had fun with flowers, herbs, strawberries and I also planted hericot verts. It was fun but the yield was not great. This year, I got smart--I bought plants for my neighbor who loves to garden to relax. When she has extras, she offers them to me.

buckytom

Grill Master
well, we got a good dose of sleet this morning, from about 3am (doesn't insomnia suck?) to around 8am. so that's about it for the garden, except maybe the carrots. i'll take it down and rake it out on saturday.

a few years ago, we had the same kind of conditions on the day i took the garden down. sleet, rain, cold blustery weather.

but fortune smiled on me as i pulled out the dead stringbean vines. hidden behind them was the runt of a mama cat's litter, who she left there when she moved the other 3 larger kittens. her eyes were just opened, so i figure she must have only been a few weeks old.

i held the freezing little thing in my coat for a while, and when she started to do that really high pitched kitten mew, i knew she was hungry. i brought her into the basement, away from our other 3 indoor cats, and set her up in one of my parrots travel cages, with a towel, litter box, and a bowl of milk.

dw brought home some kitten food, and that was that. we had our 4th cat, originally named stringbean, but then changed to bean bean.

for the next 6 months, dw would lay down on the couch and bean bean would climb into her hair around her neck and feed on a bottle of kitten formula.

she's a nervous but sweet little cat who sublimely watches her brother and sisters (from her litter) through the window, toughing out each winter outdoors. another neighbor caught the 3 of them, had them fixed, and released them, so they're sort of our outdoor cats. more like the neighborhood cats since they get fed at 4 or 5 houses everyday, lol.

the funnniest thing is when bean bean "cleans" my sideburns, eyebrows, and hair on the edge of my temples whenever i lay down and put my head next to her. if i let her have her way, she'll lick my forehead 'till the skin is raw and my hair looks like it's been moussed.

she's the best thing i ever harvested from my garden.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The last thing we got out right before it started freezing overnight was a couple more squash. Not the greatest year, but we never did get the garden fully outlined and set up so I am glad we got out of it what we did. Next year should be even better as the rest of the prairie plants will be gone from the veggie garden area and it will be outlined better so we can fit more in. We are also moving the squash plant up towards the house and not in the veggie garden as it went crazy and crept everywhere! This way it won't overwhelm everything else.
Still, a good year with the herbs, tomatoes, squash, kale, collared greens, Hungarian wax peppers, horse radish, red peppers, Habenaros, and a couple of Jalapenos I think.

Mr. Green Jeans

We've not harvested anything from Stag Hollow Farm but with the New Year around the corner, I'm getting cranked up about next season. Last fall I planted 12 blueberry bushes and relocated/rejuvenated a red raspberry patch. Soon, plum and cherry trees will get planted.
Seed catalogs are appearing and it won't be long before early season crops can be sown either in flats or outdoors.