ECG

Think you'll come?

• Total voters

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I hope this is the right subforum and members actually read these....

Anyway, as some of you know, every year for the past several, we've held an East Coast Gathering at my home in Bechtelsville, PA. It started over at the "In the Kitchen" subforum of Knifeforums.com. We get together for the day and talk about cooking, kitchen knives, and sharpening. My kitchen is open for anyone who wants to play. One year, we worked together with a chef, Curtis from California, and came up with Grape Chicken (RECIPE HERE). This will be the first year for my WFO, so I'm sure that will be fired up and ready to go. My friend Dave Martell often offers a sharpening class either at the ECG on Saturday, or at his place on Sunday. Some of the guys bring folding tables and set up little vending stands. Dave the Boardsmith is a regular and always brings an inventory of his cutting boards with him :) Dave the sharpener sets up a stand with sharpening stones. Butch displays a bunch of knives he's made. Most everyone is ready to buy and trade knives with each other (remember, just kitchen knives). No idea who else might show up and set up a stand. There are a few NOTABLE knife makers who just might show up :)

People come from across the nation. Assuming Dawn is back in the Saddle, JoeC will be here. Last year we had folk from Florida, Hawaii and Canada; I think that qualifies for "across the nation."

There's no charges or fees. Just think a big picnic. I usually get a keg of beer, a lot of soda, and a "snack" or two. Two years ago we had a salt tasting.... I'm thinking of maybe a vinegar tasting this year. One of the magazines recently did a cider vinegar test..... maybe we'll duplicate that.

Anyway, I wanted to extend an invitation to NCT members to join us. We're in the very early stages and have just yesterday picked the date, the weekend of May 22nd. There will be a signup sheet so we have a feel for how many to expect. It's a great chance to put faces with handles, play with some toys you might not get to see anywhere else, and just have a great time in rural PA.

Anyone interested in coming?

2009 pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/unconundrum/ECG2009?feat=directlink

2008 pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/unconundrum/Gathering200802?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLEjqLpspTsgQE&feat=directlink

2007 pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/unconundrum/KnifeMeeting51907?feat=directlink

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This looks amazing, Warren!! I would kill to go. (Then I'd get a chance to check out your wood-burning oven and your amazing kitchen.) This is so generous of you to extend the invite to NCTers!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I soooo wish I could attend, but it just is not possible right now.
Damn, sounds like a ton of fun, too!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
being in York, I think we could swing that "cross country" effort . . . [g]
(omit the 'r' and it all makes sense!)

well, unless you got too many knife freaks. I use a stone, free hand and really can't absorb too much Japanese "wundermesser" stuff . . .

what can I bring?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I checked Yes for now Warren but as I said I will confirm by the end of April. I don't buy green bananas any more.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
As always I wish I could make it but DW and I are already booked in FL. Maybe next year, Warren, and thanks a heap for the invitation. :)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure sounds like fun Warren! I know Joe raves about it. Thanks for the invite. Doesn't look like I could make it as that is the kick off of boating season here, and my daughter and SIL became boat owners today. Boat season should be extra fun for us this year.

Hope you all have a great time, and take plenty of pics to share here.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I was thinking we would be able to drag more of you out.... No one in the Jersey/New York area?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't seen JoeV yet and I know he was real interested. Perhaps Vera might be as well.

buckytom

Grill Master
damn, i'd love to bring my family for a weekend vacation., and learn about knives and proper sharpening. unfortunately, that's the weekend of my nephew's wedding, so we're booked.

thanks for the invite, though, uncon.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I set up a sign-up sheet HERE . If you're considering coming, please sign up. There is no obligation, but this gives us a chance to gauge how many are coming and how to prepare. Hope NCT has a good representation :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It looks like Dawn and I will make it again this year. Looking forward to it Warren.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Time to bump this thread up. 4 weeks to go!

For the women, I just found out my son invited a neighbor who makes jewelry to set up a stand. We've also heard from a fairly well known Damascus maker that he's trying to make arrangements to attend. He to is a real artist and presents a rare chance to meet him.

Anyone who would like to come Friday is also welcome. I'll be making a lot of doughs to retard overnight, and other prep work for Saturday. You're all welcome to come play in the kitchen including the Paco Jet, ThermoMix, sous-vide, and anything else in the kitchen. Kitchen will be open Saturday as well, subject to serving the crowd :)

Rare chance to meet a lot of the members face to face!.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My granddaughter and her boy friend will be coming with us also Warren but we won't get their till early afternoon on Friday. Will call you when we hit the Mel Dor luxury suites. :whistling:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes it sure is she is all of 18 now. She wanted to come last year but she went with her sister to Louisiana to visit her father's side of the family as well as her brother. She has been dating this guy for awhile now, they meet at the hospital she volunteered to work right after she came with us to the ECG.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Time to bump this thread up. 4 weeks to go!

For the women, I just found out my son invited a neighbor who makes jewelry to set up a stand. We've also heard from a fairly well known Damascus maker that he's trying to make arrangements to attend. He to is a real artist and presents a rare chance to meet him.

Anyone who would like to come Friday is also welcome. I'll be making a lot of doughs to retard overnight, and other prep work for Saturday. You're all welcome to come play in the kitchen including the Paco Jet, ThermoMix, sous-vide, and anything else in the kitchen. Kitchen will be open Saturday as well, subject to serving the crowd :)

Rare chance to meet a lot of the members face to face!.

What? Devin Thomas? Oh crap, I want to meet him. I'm on the waiting list for a 270 AEB-L Gyuto. I'm stuck in FL that weekend. What to do? What to do?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
What? Devin Thomas? Oh crap, I want to meet him. I'm on the waiting list for a 270 AEB-L Gyuto. I'm stuck in FL that weekend. What to do? What to do?

Spend some of retirement money and show up Buzz. You can probably hop a ride on someones plane. :smile:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Where you at Buzz? There are folks coming from all over, maybe you could hop a ride. I know Eldon is driving up from Florida...

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I know I couldn't stir much interest here at NCT, but just a reminder that the ECG is this Saturday, all day long. Hope some of you can make it :)