Corn Boil

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a favorite side dish that we have at large cookouts when we are smoking and grilling. The recipe I use is typically double this for larger crowds, but I halved it here so that it can be made for smaller crowds and inside. When we make this, it is done outdoors using the Turkey Fryer rig.

Corn Boil

Ingredients

8 Ears of Corn
8 medium potatoes
2 smoked sausages
2 large onions
1 head cabbage
4 bay leaves
1/4 cup black peppercorns

Procedure

Cut the Sausage into 1” chunks and set aside. Coarsely chop the cabbage and set aside. Cut the potatoes in half and set aside. Cut the onions into quarters and set aside.

In a large put, add the corn, potatoes, and onions. Now add the peppercorns and bay leaves. Next, add enough water to cover all ingredients (water should be 1” over the ingredients, but no higher).

Now add 1/4 of the cabbage. Next add all of the sausage and spread it out. Finally, top with the rest of the cabbage. Cover and place over high heat until it begins to boil and steam. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. To serve, use a large spoon to mix all ingredients (do so gently to avoid breaking the potatoes up). Ladle a portion of every ingredient onto the plate.

Notes

The cabbage basically gets steamed, so don’t worry about the it sitting on top of the water and not actually in it. In the end, the liquid is very flavorful.

Mr. Green Jeans

Sounds awesome Keltin. We've done a shrimp boil that is somewhat similar. Currently, I am working on a camp menu for a trout fishing/hiking trip to a high mountain lake in June (if the snow is gone by then). This would be a great 1 pot meal.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sounds awesome Keltin. We've done a shrimp boil that is somewhat similar. Currently, I am working on a camp menu for a trout fishing/hiking trip to a high mountain lake in June (if the snow is gone by then). This would be a great 1 pot meal.

It's wonderful, especially for larger outdoor crowds. We also do seafood boils with crawfish, shrimp, whole crab, and mussels. Add some corn, potatoes, onions, bay leaf, and Crab Boil seasoning and you're ready to go!

Some even add those small hams (like Jeenie-O) to the Corn Boils......but you'll have to slice it, so I avoid that to keep it simple.

Mr. Green Jeans

We're on the same page. I use 1/3 cup of Old Bay for the shrimp boil + 1 sliced onion + 1 sliced lemon + 3 bay leaves. A good andouille is my choice for sausage.