Any melt in your mouth Butt recipes??

Deelady

PORK butt that is!!! I have a 6 lb butt..heehee :brows:...that I plan to make for a get together. But I'm trying to find the most melt in your mouth recipe/method.
At first I was thinking carnitas, but I would rather a crock pot or roasted type meal.

Anyone have a recipe, where it just falls apart and is as moist as can be?? I really want to stay away from BBQ sauce type recipes.

Thanks guys!

suziquzie

Honestly my favorite way with a butt (hehe) is to throw the whole thing in the crock with a sliced onion or 2 and a few peeled cloves of garlic..... let 'er rip and have sandwiches.
I like sauerkraut on mine rather than BBQ sauce.

suziquzie

nope. no liquid at all. I think I do it 8 hours on high for one that big..... geez I can't remember it's been a few months and I am starting to get CRS......
Just allow yourself time to fish it out of the juice (there will be ALOT) and get the fat off of it.
Oh that sounds soooooo good, I think I have to buy a butt when I go later......

AllenOK

Suziquzie is on a good start. Here's what I would do:

Take the pork, season with salt and pepper, and sear in a cast iron skillet. Transfer to the crockpot. Take an onion, and cut it in half, stem-to-root. Remove the peel. Sear in the same skillet as the pork. Throw in some whole peeled garlic cloves. Cook both until they are toasted and heavily caramelized in places. Add to the crockpot. Open a small (4 - 5 oz) can of green chiles. Add to the crockpot. Cover and cook until the meat falls apart.

When done, remove the contents of the crockpot to a mixing bowl. Remove the onions and garlic, if they haven't totally smashed up and incorporated into the mix. If there was a bone, remove it. Shred the meat (you can probably use a big spoon, or possibly even a Kitchenaid stand mixer), and season to taste with salt and pepper. Use for carnitas, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tamales, etc.

Honestly, in the last hour of cooking, I like to toss in a handful or two of corn tortilla chips, and let them cook into the mixture. I'll use the mix as is, and serve with refritos, rice, and tortillas. I've also been known to forget making "platters", and just make burritos.

GrantsKat

:agree:I do them in the crock all the time, I like mine with BBQ sauce & slaw! yum! I find its best to do it for about 8 hrs, but it does work if you do it on high for 4-5 hrs.

oops I was agreeing with Suzi, I never made it the way Allen does, lol
I also have used a rub before I threw it in the pot

chowhound

Sprinkle with pepper, salt, garlic powder, lay a few onion slices on it, put it in a glass casserole dish with about 1/2" of water, cover, cook at 275F for 4 hours, uncovering the last 30 minutes.

Deelady

Hmmm so how would the oven method vs the crockpot versions differ from each other? Would the oven give it more flavor?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :D Just trying to put different ideas/techniques together :D

Lefty

Yank
Low and slow in the oven will work too. Use a meat thermometer and cook it up to an internal temp of about 165. When you take it out of the oven you should let it rest about 5 minutes minimum before tearing into it.

When I read the title of the thread I instantly thought of Jessica Alba. :brows:

GrantsKat

Dee I cant say whether its best to do it in the crock or oven, I just know that with 4 kids the crockpot has become my best friend as of late!:)

If you dont want to go the BBQ route, I have also done it with a few cans of crushed or stewed tomatoes, more along the "italian" flavoring, imho pork & tomatoes work very well together.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've done it in both the oven and crock pot. Lefty's method is about how I do it in the oven and Allen's basic method minus the chips for the crock pot method. It really is hard to over cook a pork butt in a crock pot but can be done easily in an oven. I've smoked the last 20 or so I've done though not all are served with BBQ sauces.

Lefty

Yank
Lefty, what IS your method? How is it different from 275F for 4 hours?
Do you cook it lower and slower?
I have many methods, crockpot, oven, BBQ grill, dutch oven.

For the example I was speaking of, I use a grill seasoning rub and cook it in the oven between 225-250 till it get near 160 and let it rest.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Lefty, what IS your method? How is it different from 275F for 4 hours?
Do you cook it lower and slower?

I assumed when he said low and slow it was at temps between 250 and 300 deg until internal temp is reached same as using a smoker really.

Deelady

Sounds very interesting Kimchee, but unfortunately I dont have over half of the ingredients called for and I really dont have the budget right now to get any extras :(
Looked good though!

Deelady

is there a reason why you guys would prefer the oven method over the crock pot? Or is it just what you are use to doing?

normally I would agree with you Kathe on the tomatoes....but these last couple of weeks it seems even if I just look at a tomato I am suffering terribly from heartburn.....sooo frustrating!

Lefty

Yank
is there a reason why you guys would prefer the oven method over the crock pot? Or is it just what you are use to doing?

normally I would agree with you Kathe on the tomatoes....but these last couple of weeks it seems even if I just look at a tomato I am suffering terribly from heartburn.....sooo frustrating!

I would prefer the crockpot over the oven because it keeps it moist. I was just explaining the oven method if I didn't own a CP. If using the oven, you have to be careful not to dry it out.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a preference between a crock pot or the oven. The crock pot or a slow cooker works fine too. In a rush use a pressure cooker as I've even done it in that with some liquid for brasing added. In my case I used wine but could also use any thing from water to broths.

Deelady

Thanks guys :)

I just came accross this that looks interesting....

Fall-Apart Boston Butt 1 (4-pound) Boston butt pork roast
1/4 to 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup apple juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease inside of a casserole or deep roasting dish. Put Worcestershire sauce in a separate bowl and soak Boston butt pork roast in sauce.

Remove roast from sauce and coat with brown sugar, being sure to press sugar all over to form a crust. Place sugar-crusted roast in casserole dish.

Pour apple juice into casserole, but do not pour over sugar-crusted roast. Cover casserole or pan tightly, either with a casserole top or aluminum foil.

Place roast in oven and immediately turn heat down to 200 degrees and bake about 5 hours. Uncover roast and check for doneness. Meat should be so tender it falls apart easily. If it doesn't, re-cover roast and cook for 30 minutes more or as needed. Makes 6 servings.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Very similar to how I done it a couple of times. I've also added a mustard (yellow type) over top of a favorite dry rub adding apple juice to the bottom of the pan. Now when I smoke it I do it the same way but not covering the butt and putting the apple juice in the water bowl of the smoker which also keeps it moist. Oh and my favorite pork butt dry rub contains brown sugar as the main ingredient besides other herbs and spices.

Deelady

I like the idea of using the apple juice and brown sugar ....but it sounds like it would need more......onions and veggies? Garlic? Hmmmmmm......

Deelady

Very similar to how I done it a couple of times. I've also added a mustard (yellow type) over top of a favorite dry rub adding apple juice to the bottom of the pan. Now when I smoke it I do it the same way but not covering the butt and putting the apple juice in the water bowl of the smoker which also keeps it moist. Oh and my favorite pork butt dry rub contains brown sugar as the main ingredient besides other herbs and spices.

Oooh do you have that rub recipe??? :) :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here you go Dee, I use this in my baked beans, pork loin and brisket of beef. We keep it on hand all the time.

Jack's Old South BBQ Rub

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika ( I use hot or smoked though it calls for sweet)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Combine all and mix well. Yields about 3/4 cup

Now here is another version when I use it on brisket of beef but is also excellent on Pork. It has a few more ingredients and a touch more bite heat wise but neither are heart burn spicy really. I know you are pregnant and tomatoes are giving you trouble but I don't think either of these will but feel free to leave anything out you might think might cause you a problem.

Brisket Rub
Liberally apply this rub to brisket a few hours before putting the meat in the smoker.

1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup cracked black pepper
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon granulated onion
2 teaspoons ground cayenne

Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.

Yield: About 1 cup
Heat Scale: Mild

phreak

Marinate in mojo sauce/marinade overnight. Then whatever method crockpot, oven you choose...If you take it off the heat before it gets to at least 190 before letting it rest it will probably be too tough to pull/fall apart.

Joe, your butt rub recipe looks very similar to one I paid $15 for from a meat smoking forum.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Marinate in mojo sauce/marinade overnight. Then whatever method crockpot, oven you choose...If you take it off the heat before it gets to at least 190 before letting it rest it will probably be too tough to pull/fall apart.

Joe, your butt rub recipe looks very similar to one I paid $15 for from a meat smoking forum.

Which one the first one came with the recipe for the baked beans I do that I got from an Emeril Live show and Food network. The other I've use for about 15 years for smoked brisket of beef. You paid $15 for a rub recipe really, WHY? There must be thousands of rub recipes on the internet for free as well as many big name chef's recipes to no body recipes that are excellent. I haven't bought a cook book in years as I have the greatest cook book on the planet called the internet. It even has video available for every style of cooking and every type of food you could imagine.

phreak

Which one the first one came with the recipe for the baked beans I do that I got from an Emeril Live show and Food network. The other I've use for about 15 years for smoked brisket of beef. You paid $15 for a rub recipe really, WHY? There must be thousands of rub recipes on the internet for free as well as many big name chef's recipes to no body recipes that are excellent. I haven't bought a cook book in years as I have the greatest cook book on the planet called the internet. It even has video available for every style of cooking and every type of food you could imagine.

The first one. The $15 basically helps to keep the website going, it is a forum. I agree about not buying cook books and using the internet though for sure.