Country Fried Steak gravy

heb1976

Looking for the gravy you use when you make country fried steak. I usually use a premade packet - but I am fresh out. The gravy is a white peppery gravy. I have searched the internet but not finding anything that sounds like what I need. Help me!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I wish I could help you, Heather, but I have never made gravy in my life (successfully, that is.) Someone will come along soon and rescue you, sweetie.

How are you feeling? Are you starting to get a little tummy?

heb1976

thats ok ... i am the same way. thats why i always use the packets.

i am feeling ok. still no energy and i am getting a little belly. i am too big for my pants but still too little for maternity. i keep freaking myself out thinking i should be bigger by now and worrying that something is wrong. i know it is just my nerves. thanks for asking.

homecook

So don't call your mother??? LOL

After you cook the meat, remove it and add some flour to the grease/oil in the pan to make a paste. Let it cook for a bit. Add a couple cups of milk, whisk it in and add lots of pepper to taste.......

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
i keep freaking myself out thinking i should be bigger by now and worrying that something is wrong.
You must be one of those women who's tummies will pop out overnight! I'll bet by next month you will have a little basketball!

heb1976

i didnt want to bug you mom! i did that enough this morning! i will try to do what you said and see how it comes out.

FM - i kind of am. peol have been noticing the little bump - but it isnt big enough for my taste yet. i am very skinny so you would figure i would show alot sooner yet it takes me longer. i was about 6 months with justin, 4 months with kyle ... so i am hoping soon. then it will feel very real! i am feeling the baby move here and there - its gets the hiccups alot and i feel the flutters.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Awwww -- I love the tiny little flutters. It's so exciting to know that those little bumps are a whole person you'll be meeting in a few months!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Pretty much what your Mom said. If you still have the pan drippings Heather, you can just follow the directions for making the gravy that I have posted on my website for Chicken Fried Steak. If you don't, there are a couple other options...if you have bulk breakfast sausage, you can brown up some patties and save the patties for breakfast and then use those drippings or if you have bacon drippings, you can use those...just like you would for biscuits and gravy. Equal parts of fat and flour. Brown the flour for a few minutes then slowly add milk, a little at a time, while stirring. Bring to boil so it will reach its full thickening power and then simmer a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Hope that helps.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Y'all are welcome...and FM, that is pretty much how you make any gravy. If you want a beef gravy, use your pan drippings or you can use equal parts of butter and flour, use beef broth instead of milk...chicken gravy...chicken broth...if I make a sugar cured ham, I sometimes make a ham gravy...not to be confused with Redeye gravy.

chowhound

I was watching one of those southern cooking shows last week and they said said the difference between country fried steak and chicken fried steak is the gravy. Country fried steak is brown and chicken fried steak is white. The first time I made the dish I made both types of gravy and like both equally well. Before that show I always thought the country/chicken term was interchangeable. And maybe it is, but that was their thoughts anyway.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Personally, I think they are interchangeable...but that's just my opinion. Kinda like the way sausage gravy is also referred to as sawmill gravy. Here's what Wiki has to say: Chicken Fried Steak

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Easiest gravy in the world IMHO:

2 T Butter
2 T Flour
1/2 t Black pepper

Fry this for two or three minutes.
Whisk in some milk a little at a time until you get the desired consistency, making sure to get all the lumps out.
Salt to taste.

AllenOK

My $0.02,

I always use a whisk. I have a flat whisk that gets into the corners of the pan. I use the whisk after I add the milk as well.

In addition to black pepper, I add salt to taste.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I cheat and use Wondra, LOL! I also use a flat whisk, for me it seems to get the stuff off the bottom of the pan better, and of course the corners as Allen already said. And I also whisk frequently all the way thru until it is done.
Salt and pepper here as well. Also, if I need a 'white' gravy like this but don't really have enough left in the pan I will add a bit of bacon grease to it for flavor.

homecook

How does a round pan have a corner?? lol j/k

I also mentioned using a whisk, it guarantees no lumps. I don't know if she's got one either, I'll probably have to get her one for Christmas......

chowhound

Personally, I think they are interchangeable...but that's just my opinion. Kinda like the way sausage gravy is also referred to as sawmill gravy. Here's what Wiki has to say: Chicken Fried Steak

From the link:
"Typically, in Texas and surrounding states, chicken fried steak is deep fried in a pan and served with traditional peppered milk gravy. [5][6][7] The same dish is sometimes known as "country fried steak" in other parts of the United States, where it is subject to some regional variations. Often there is a brown gravy, and occasionally the meat is either pan fried with little oil, or simmered in the gravy. In some areas, "country steak" may refer to Salisbury steak, a chopped or minced beef patty in brown gravy."

So I guess it pays to ask if you are going to order it somewhere new. Lest you be surprised by the color (lol).

K

Kimchee

I made that one once. I used a really thin cut of meat, so I shortened the cooking time a little.
When he says "like butter" when referring to the meat, he wasn't kidding. It was smooth and tender, just delicious. Ate wayyy tooo much!