Personal Slang or Catch Phrases

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Anyone got any favorite slang terms for dealing with life and cooking?

I like Bobby Flay, but he just can’t run a grill. He scorches and burns everything on Boy Meets Grill. But I still like him.

When I grill, if I burn something, I tell DW I “Bobby Flayed” the chicken.

Anyone else got a little catch phrase that means something.

FUBAR is a great one! :yum:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
on the occasions that i get things a little dark..ok when i burn them:whistle:

i tell everybody.."its blackened, its cajun..."...lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Love it guys!!!! It's Blackened, it's Cajun! I've got to use that one.

And oops....is THAT why it's hot???? :yum:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Meat? are you nuts?
You wanted to come to my house for dinner, McD's is open late LOL

Wart

Banned
It's not Markspec (Wart) but it's still better than we would get anywhere else.

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
They have meat at McD's?:puke1:

I don't know Wart LOL
It's just that when I've had guests at the house over the years for dinner, some have asked where's the meat, knowing full well I'm vegetarian.:tongue:..I've joked that the fast food places are open late in case they need a meat fix.
:whistle:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We have a term we use when doing landscaping jobs now. One job my wife had, she did the front and another guy did the back. The front got rave reviews from all kinds of passers-by. The back we checked out, what a horrible job! Plants barely stuck in the ground, and they didn't break up the roots so it properly melded with the soil. This guy stacked dirt against the wood fence to create a fake berm look. That will rot the fence not to mention he didn't use ground cover to keep the dirt in place so it will be washing down into the yard soon enough.
Now, when we see someone doing a terrible job, we say, "Hey look, another Jeremy Job!" It has become the standard for poorly done work.
The only other phrase I used a lot was one from Iowa when I was growing up. Anytime you were referring to a group, you would say, "you people". Moved out here and found out it was a racist term! Thankfully it was a friend from the south side that caught it before I got in trouble... needless to say I don't use that one anymore.

Common ones I use are, "You think?", "brilliant observation", and "welcome to the 21st century!" to name a few.
Oh, and, "Hey, were turn signals an option on your car that you chose not to get?"

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm an 'in the weeds' kinda cook... When you get that feeling that it's going to take all the stars to align in order for you to hit the target goal time for service. When a cook says 'I'm in the weeds' it's a cry for help.

Yesterday, I was in the weeds before I even got in the door of the joint!

homecook

I'm an 'in the weeds' kinda cook... When you get that feeling that it's going to take all the stars to align in order for you to hit the target goal time for service. When a cook says 'I'm in the weeds' it's a cry for help.

Yesterday, I was in the weeds before I even got in the door of the joint!

There seems to be a theme here!! :whistling:

Barb

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my old boss use to have an old saying that kind of stuck with me...

"Its the 2% law...you must be 2% smarter than the thing you are trying to fix...."...lol

not cooking related but applies so well to everything..lol

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
won't let me say mine,lol, so, I will improvise, I say Fork it a LOT.
If someone says something stupid or completely unbelievable, I will say, OKAY.

Mr. Green Jeans

Cripes! Must be an upper Midwest thing but fits many situations: hot oil on the hand, turning meat on the grill minus tongs 0r when your garbonzo bean burger mix is too dry and they disintegrate upon flipping.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I learned from Sara Moulton something she learned from Julia Child. If something doesn't turn out perfectly, if you can cover it up with whipped cream or slice it in the kitchen to serve, do so. Never complain and never explain. Just serve it with a big smile on your face and no one will never know.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
One of my favorites

"Just because you CAN do a thing, it does not mean that you SHOULD do a thing."

And my Dad's

"You are too soon old, and too late smart."

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
won't let me say mine,lol, so, I will improvise, I say Fork it a LOT.
Me, too, Stacy. (Is it something about Texas women???) Anyway, I have a lot of colorful phrases that I use at appropriate moments - those happen a lot at my house.

I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died.

Oh yeah? Well, people in Hell want ice water, too.

Don't make me break my foot off in your ass.

Here's one I haven't had to use.....yet:

He needed killin', your honor.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Me, too, Stacy. (Is it something about Texas women???) Anyway, I have a lot of colorful phrases that I use at appropriate moments - those happen a lot at my house.

I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died.

Oh yeah? Well, people in Hell want ice water, too.

Don't make me break my foot off in your ass.

Here's one I haven't had to use.....yet:

He needed killin', your honor.
:yum::yum:

I like saying" Ya think? when someone says something stupid, like homecook said, when they say it's hot, right out of the oven, lol

Biskit

"You're gonna look pretty funny, goin' into ER with my boot up your ass and my foot still in it! ":twak:

Wart

Banned
Another thread rememded me of this one, I've used it for everything from girls and women, cars, houses, just about everything:

She may be pretty but be careful, may be cooties under that skirt.

As in: Sure is a nice car but did you see the cooties under there.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Vera’s reminded me of “going south” or “gone south” which means things are falling apart. As in “aww crap, the motor has gone south”, or “if this all goes south, then deny everything”.

And of course, “Why don’t you want in one hand, spit in the other, and see which one gets full first.”

Calicolady

3 of my many

Were you born stupid, or is it an acquired skill?
I meant to do that!
You dumb shit - to myself, usually when I hurt myself in some way.

And one of dad's favs when we were kids- Use your head for something beside a hat rack!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
One of my Dad’s favorites: “quit mashing your ass”. That is, stop sitting, get up and do something. That man never sat still. Always go-go-go to work on something somewhere. If he saw you sitting down, he’d say “stop mashing your ass and grab a tool”. :yum: