What's cooking 4/2/2017 through 4/8/2017?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Tonight, SUNDAY, We will be having beef/pork/veal meatloaf, mashies, carrots and sauteed spinach. We'll also have the oven doing double duty and cooking a country-style pork rib and beef short rib braise (cleaning out the freezer and using up odds and ends) for later in the week.

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This A.M. was our bi-annual trip to Sam's..... carried home a rotisserie bird for dinner......

Domestic Goddess

Bacon, Scrambled Eggs (half with melted American Cheese Slices on top), plus Sliced Onions & Sliced Mushrooms sauteed in Butter), also Simply Orange Juice.

Ironman

🍺
White Castle cheese burgers. :D

Made some scotcheroos while I was messing around in the kithchen tonight too. But... I used fruity pebbles instead of rice crispies. #winning! :lol:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Hmm, I ate too much dinner, then had a Klondike bar soon after.

Then some Alka-Seltzer lol

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Just like meatloaf and mashies, cottage pie is a comfort food and it sure is easy to eat too much!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
.....Not Your Granny's Sunday Dinner !!

Rotisserie Chicken from Sam's Club, Stuffing from Stovetop,
Riced Cauliflower compliments of SteamFresh !

Johnny West

Tonight will be salmon patties made from last night's grilled coho fillet. I'm not sure of a side or two.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
No cooking today for me.
Stopped at Wendy's for a salad after grocery shopping.
It was pretty good.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Monday night, Flatbread with garlic alfredo sauce, cumin-spiced chicken, spinach, red bell, and Jack cheese.
picture.php

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good, but what's that with the brussels?

Radishes!!!

Lucky introduced me to that side dish and I love it! In fact, the boiled or steamed radishes are so much like little boiled potatoes, that I don't have a starch on the plate when I serve them.

Medtran, did you make the alfredo sauce or is it jarred? I'm looking for a good one that I don't have to make from scratch.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Made it. I don't like jarred alfredo sauces. It's really not that hard or time consuming the way I make it. Only thing is that it's a 1-time only use. It breaks if you let it cool and heat back up. For 2 main dish servings, I melt about a half stick of unsalted butter over fairly high heat in a small skillet until it's bubbling (not browning though) and then start stirring in cold heavy cream a little bit at a time until it looks right. I eyeball it so if you want I'll have to measure it next time. Then, I let the cream heat up, stirring nearly constantly until it is starting to get large bubbles and is starting to reduce some. You have to incorporate the cream and butter thoroughly. Then I turn heat down to med low and start stirring in about 3 handfuls of large grate parm (again eyeball). Somewhere along the way I grate in a bit of nutmeg, probably about 1/8 tsp plus/minus. I usually add just a pinch or 2 of salt as well. It takes less than 15 minutes to make it and that includes cheese grating time.

Obviously, this is a once in a while very rich dish. I don't even want to know the calories or fat it contains.

Ironman

🍺
Sous vide thick cut pork chops with mashed potatoes. Everyone liked it. It kinda kicked ass. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 132

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ironman,

I've never tried sous vide, but when I DO, pork chops would be first on my list!

If you have the chance, would you start a separate thread and go into more detail on what you did? And re-post the photos, please.

Thanks!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had the pork country rib/beef short rib braise based on apple juice/apple cider vinegar started earlier in the week, using up odds and ends from the freezer dish. Sides were mashies and sauteed spinach. The braise had onions, carrots, celery, mustard, thyme and I don't remember the other things. It was really good, though I'd make it with just pork next time.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Radishes!!!

Lucky introduced me to that side dish and I love it! In fact, the boiled or steamed radishes are so much like little boiled potatoes, that I don't have a starch on the plate when I serve them.

Medtran, did you make the alfredo sauce or is it jarred? I'm looking for a good one that I don't have to make from scratch.

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night's Popcorn Shrimp w/ Sriracha Ketchup, Southwestern Beans and Rice, Mixed veggies.

Tonight will be Hot Beef open-faced sandwiches w/ Gravy, Left-over Beans and Rice, and a veg. to be decided upon later...

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Wednesday night, we had a Rusty Pelican salad with cheese toasts. This salad was a house speciality of the RP in Key Biscayne, Florida, years ago. They prepared it tableside and served it with orange-flavored bread slices. This salad was the main reason I always wanted to go to the RP back in the day. They don't serve it anymore. I usually make an orange-juice/zest flavored loaf, but this was kind of a spur of the moment meal since Craig didn't really want I had planned for tonight and I wanted something on the light side. The dressing is a homemade honey-mustard dressing from a recipe published by the Miami Herald years and years ago.

wUp4UHocTWpVSq9mTPOLinmncLIQ7U5duqXUpRHO1R8pX92IB

Ironman

🍺
Sous vide NY strip steak. 2 hours @ 130F and finished on the Weber for a good sear. Juicy juicy! I'm gonna start a Thread soon on that technique as requested.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 144