Quick Chicken Mole

FryBoy

I love mole (mo-LAY), a classic Mexican sauce containing chocolate and a million spices. Don't think Hershey Bars, think unsweetened cocoa, which is very much a spice.

There are as many variations of mole as there are Mexican cooks, but chocolate is pretty much the common denominator.

The long version I make takes hours, and I don't have it in a format to post just yet. This version, however, is super quick and quite good. It's an excellent and easy introduction to the truly exciting world of REAL Mexican cuisine, which is among the finest and most complex in the world.

QUICK CHICKEN MOLE

Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Prep Time: About 5 minutes
Makes 4 Servings

1 teaspoon oil
1 onion (about 6 ounces), minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
¾ cup chicken broth
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 ripe banana (about 4 ounces peeled), mashed
1 tablespoon ground chili
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
4 boneless chicken breast halves, sliced about ½ inch thick
Hot cooked rice
¼ cup toasted almonds
2 tablespoons raisins
Chopped cilantro
Warm tortillas

1. Heat oil in a 10- or 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic; cook stirring until onion is tinged brown; deglaze pan with 1 tablespoon of the broth.

2. Add tomato sauce, remaining broth, banana, and all seasonings; bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes; add chicken and continue simmering until cooked through, about 10 minutes.

3. Serve over rice, top with almonds, raisins, and cilantro, with tortillas on the side.