Freezer Meals for FM

Deelady

Hi hon, I took the liberty of starting this thread for you because I thought of a tip/meal idea I saw recently, please help to contribute anyone who also has easy freezer meal ideas for FM's friend.

The tip/ meal idea I saw was to make a favorite pasta dish such as Pasta with meat sauce and freeze individual portions in zip lock bags for a quick grab meal so you dont have to fuss with a whole casserole dish in the oven, everything if pre-portioned and ready to heat and eat!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I see that Bams put a version of this in the casserole thread, but this is a little different so I thought I'd post it here too. This is so very easy but so very good. It freezes and re-heats well.

When I first had this, it was from one of those meals-to-go places where you stop in on the way home from work :brows: and get casseroles to re-heat for dinner. That's where I got the recipe, but it's all over the internet.

Easy Swiss Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup milk
1 cup Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned stuffing mix (dry)

Lay chicken in a single layer in a greased casserole dish. Top the chicken with the slices of Swiss cheese. Mix together the chicken soup and milk. Pour over the chicken pieces. Top with the stuffing mix.

Bake, covered, at 350. If it's frozen, it's probably going to take a little over an hour. If not frozen, it takes a little under an hour.

Deelady

Thank you cooksie for contributing :D Sounds great!
I have never seen a place that sells pick-up casseroles!! What a cool idea, wish they had that here! Something other than the bake it yourself pizza.....never understood that one!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have never seen a place that sells pick-up casseroles!! What a cool idea, wish they had that here! Something other than the bake it yourself pizza.....never understood that one!

Glad to! Maybe FM will give us some clues as to what types of things they like and can eat, and we can come up with some other ideas.

There used to be a place called Supper Thyme. Saw it on the News a few years ago. Tried a few of the dishes, i.e. coconut sauced chicken. They would bag the (jasmine) rice up separately in a ziip lock, & label everything with heating cooking/directions. Not your typical casserole-type dishes. Looks like most of them went out of biz.

http://www.supperthymeusa.com/index.jsp

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Y'all just brought tears to my eyes! What a warm and generous group we have here. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Cooksie, that Swiss Chicken looks perfect! And it would be easy to portion out and freeze into meal-size bags, as Dee suggested.

Plus, all the recipes in the new OAMC forum will give me lots to choose from. Kent and Kerry are wonderful cooks and enjoy almost anything. Kerry unfortunately had to have a huge amount of her intestine removed, so I don't know how or if that will affect what foods will work well for her. She is on a liquid diet right now. I do know that she will need to work hard to have excellent nutrition and extra calories in the future. As soon as she figures out all that, I will have a better idea of what kinds of meals to prepare. But for now, even if some of what gets made won't work for her, Kent will have meals for himself and his mom taken care of.

Thank you all again for helping me be able to do something for them.

Deelady

More than welcome sweety!

Bacon & Spinach Quiche
Serving Size: 8

Ingredients
1 unbaked pie crust
¾ cup cottage cheese
8 egg whites
3 eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 10oz package frozen spinach, thawed
12 slices of bacon, diced

Baking Directions
1. Line a 9-inch pie plate (preferably glass) with one of the unbaked pie crusts. Prebake pie crust according to package directions.
2. Combine cottage cheese, egg whites, and eggs in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
3. In a medium skillet cook bacon until crisp. Add onion, cook until softened. Then add spinach.
4. Transfer bacon mixture into prebaked crust. Pour egg mixture on top.
5. With oven set to 400 degrees F bake quiche 35-40 minutes.

Freezing Directions
1. Once the quiche cools, cut into 8 slices.
2. Place pieces in freezer safe container or bag.
3. Good frozen for 1-2 months.

Defrosting Directions
1. Remove desired amount from freezer.
2. Place in refrigerator for 24 hours or until thawed.
3. For faster defrosting take food out of freezer container and place in microwave safe dish. Defrost in microwave for an appropriate amount of time.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I would think this would freeze well, and be easily reheated.

Beef and Veg Oven Supper

4 potatoes peeled and sliced
2 c sliced carrots
1 c sliced onions
1 lb cooked and drained ground beef
1/4 c each green beans, corn and peas
1 can tomato soup with 1 T worcestershire sauce stirred in
salt and pepper to taste

Grease a casserole dish.
Layer all ingredients.
Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

I'm not sure about that one. While it sounds delicious fresh out of the oven, I'm thinking those veggies would turn into mush the 2nd time around.

No, no - definitely no expert. Just voicing a possibility. If you do make it & freeze it, I'd love to hear how it turns out reheated.

Regardless, it sounds great as is - freezing notwithstanding.

SierraCook

Here are a couple of favorites that freeze well.

Hamburger Pie

1 lb. ground beef
2 2/3 cups instant potatoes (dry)
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
¼ cup ketchup
1 cup milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350º. Combine meat, 1 1/3 cups instant potatoes (dry), egg, salt, pepper, minced onion, ketchup, and milk. Spread in an ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes.

Prepare remaining 1 cup of instant potatoes as directed on package for four servings. Top baked meat with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven. Bake 3-4 minutes longer until the cheese melts.

Mexican Stuffed Shells

12 jumbo pasta shells
1-lb. ground beef
1 ½ cups picante sauce (mild or medium, to taste)
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1-4 oz. can chopped green chilies
1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese (6 oz.), divided

Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain well. Cook ground beef in a skillet, stirring occasionally to break up meat, until brown. Drain.

In medium bowl, combine picante sauce, tomato sauce, broth, cumin, chili powder, mix well. Add ½ cup of the sauce mixture, chilies, and ½ cup of the cheese to beef. Mix well. Stuff shells with beef mixture. Spread half of the remaining sauce mixture in a 10-inch round baking dish. Place stuffed shells in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce mixture over stuffed shells. Bake, covered in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 4 servings.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow SC, both of those sound yummy!!!!!! Will have to try them both. :D :thumb: :tiphat:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Maybe we should give each of these recipes their own thread in the OAMC forum and then link to them from this thread. That might keep this a little more organized. What do you think?